Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5 Months!

My precious baby Joe is 5 months old today. I just cannot believe how fast he has grown! He's gone from this cute little sleeping-all-the-time-nursing-all-the-time-that's-all-I'm-gonna-do-with-my-day infant to a very cute, active, vocal, short-nappin', still loves to nurse baby. (I know he is still technically an infant; I just always picture little newborns as infants and 4 months and up as babies... I'm weird I know!)

There are just two measly lines for "New Accomplishments" on the 4-month page in his baby book. I'm going to have to write extra small because he has discovered and accomplished so much this month!

First of all- he rolled over! This boy haaaaaaates tummy time. He gets super mad, but for a few days he was doing really good and rolled over from his tummy to his back! He did it quite a few times in a row, but lately it seems he has forgotten how to do this new activity. He still hates tummy time, and instead of putting his arms under his chest like he used to for support he flails them out to the side like he's trying to fly. I'm sure he'll remember how to do it again someday. It's my fault for not doing enough tummy time with him! Right now he'd rather stand and jump around!



Our next exciting adventure was trying rice cereal. We didn't have a high chair so I was so excited when we got some awesome coupons in the mail for Babies R Us. We bought a high chair and all I needed was the go-ahead from his pediatrician to start solids. I don't know why I was so excited. I guess I was just excited for a new experience for my son. I had him play in his high chair, play with a spoon, and taste some breast milk on a spoon. Well, he wasn't too impressed as you can tell.

Making cereal is a pain. I have to pump (which I hate doing), then mix the cereal, and watch him not enjoy it. We tried oatmeal cereal which he seemed to tolerate a little better.

Sweet potatoes on the other hand- he loooooooves. He opened his mouth in anticipation and scarfed down the whole 2.5 oz jar. I was so happy to see him so excited for this new food, but felt a little sad at the same time. I read somewhere that starting solids is the first step in weaning. I was jealous of that little jar of sweet potatoes because it used to be only me that gave him delight and nutrition. I'm still planning on breastfeeding for a long time, but now I have to share the limelight with level one baby foods. It's hard to explain this bittersweet feeling.


First time in the snow! He didn't know what to think!

He is becoming much more playful. When we first got him this jump-a-roo he just kind of sat there and stared at everything. Now he is reaching out and playing with the toys. The same goes for the little toys on his swing. They've been there since the very beginning and he's just now reaching out and playing with them. I used to be able to type with him on my lap but now everything comes out as "wog2o3ogoijj,,,,wefowk,.xx77x///wvv/...])"

What I love most of all about his new ability to explore is how he reaches up and feels my face. He stares into my eyes and studies me. Sigh... it absolutely melts my heart!

He outgrew his bassinet. So here comes the crib! He's still in the same room as us, but not right by my side of the bed like he used to be. He likes his new bed, but still prefers to cuddle with mommy and daddy.


5 months. Wow. That's almost half a year!

Happy 5 months, my precious baby. Thank you for making these the scariest, most tiring, most exciting and most blessed 5 months of your daddy and mommy's life!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Awww! What a cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

He is so cute!!! I always think of the first six months as such a strange dichotomy: sometimes it feels like it's dragging on forever, getting them to learn to sleep, learn to eat, getting a routine (I'm big on routine)...but then you wake up and wonder how it went by so fast!

Lianna said...

Love his look with the first taste of rice cereal! And then his thrilled look with the sweet potatoes! You and your husband are so blessed! :-)

Sarah said...

So sweet! I love it! :)

Patty said...

I loved the two tufts of hair on the back of his head when he spun around. Too cute.

Sweet pot's were always my kids faves!

Thanks for sharing with us this sweet fella.

Joy said...

Love this ~ so much fun to catch-up on your little guy!
Great pictures! Lisbeth was not a big fan of cereal either, will start there with Liam but will move on quickly.

Catholic Mutt said...

What a cute 5 month old! So funny to watch him jumping!

Jamie said...

He is gorgeous!! I preferred formula (or juice) to make rice cereal. The breast milk never made it thick enough. Just a thought. Heck, looking back, I think I'd just use regular milk, too, seeing as we had no allergies or concerns in that regard.

That Married Couple said...

Love the pics and the details! Keep 'em coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails