Monday, February 21, 2011

A Mother's Prayer



Yesterday, before Mass began, I started to seriously wonder if I’d never have a “normal” church experience again. Life has changed in oh so many ways since I’ve become a mother, and having a nice, peaceful, spiritual encounter during Mass is no more.

Now, I shouldn’t complain, because Joe is actually very good during Mass. The first couple of months he would snooze through the whole thing. However, I was still always looking at him in his infant carrier, wondering if he’d wake up, and thinking it was about time for him to nurse again- will he wake up and scream? Even though he usually never woke up, I would still not recall what the Gospel reading was.

Now that Joe is older, he is much more alert and active. But he is still such a good baby. He sits in my lap and stares around, and when we are standing he just studies the different people surrounding us. We don’t even have to bring any toys or books to distract him. Every once in a while he will babble, but it’s not loud, and my priest always says, “If you hear a baby chattering away during Mass, that is just his form of praying.” The only problem we’ve had is the one time he had a diaper blow-out and I didn’t bring the diaper bag… but that’s a different story for a different day.

I should take advantage of his good behavior now and start really paying attention to the Mass, because I’m sure when he gets older I won’t be so lucky. But I just can’t help watching Joe watch others, switching arms while holding him and wondering if my arm will fall off, daydreaming about what he will be like in church as he gets older, thinking about how nice a nap would be… my train of thought keeps going and going and going and BAM!- it’s time for Communion.

I used to get excited about Mass. Hearing Scripture, listening to a good sermon, being an active part of the Body of Christ, getting graces- I mean talk about Holy Ghost goose bumps! But now I don’t feel like I’m at Mass since I have Joe there. What about when we have more kids? Will it just be like going to the grocery store? Nothing special? I got a little sad at that thought.

Just then a woman and her three children entered the pew in front of me. Her husband walked to the front because he was going to be an altar server. She knelt on the kneeler and her two oldest kids followed suit (she didn’t even have to ask them to kneel!) Her youngest- an adorable little 2 year old was sitting on the pew and was kind of crawling around, but it wasn’t anything distracting. Instead of barking orders, the mother would simply bring her arm back behind her to make sure her daughter wasn’t running off or getting ready to dive off the pew.

Right before the Gospel reading, when we all make the Sign of the Cross on our foreheads, lips and heart, she was making sure her children did this as well. I was impressed. I never did this action until I was in high school! When it was time to kneel for the Consecration, she made sure her kids knelt as well. The 2 year old was still kind of restless, so she picked her up and held her. Now, I know that kneeling with a child isn’t easy- especially in these pews. There’s just not a lot of room. But instead of taking the easy way out and sitting on the pew (which I often do) she knelt on the floor. Her honor and devotion to the miracle of the Eucharist was so great!

Her kids were so well behaved. No whining or talking or kicking the pews. My mother told me that she brings them to daily Mass about 2 times a week. I’ve noticed a correlation between bringing kids to Mass more than once a week and their good behavior patterns. Something to look into for the future perhaps….

I talked to this mother after Mass. I told her that her family was beautiful and she smiled and mentioned that her youngest was kind of misbehaving. I’ve seen kids practically throw the hymnal across the aisle and scream loud enough to wake the dead and their parents don’t do anything, so I assured her that her daughter was great. But instead of talking about how it could be embarrassing (which is understandable- I know I will probably be worried that Joe will embarrass me someday!) she was worried that it was distracting from what was going on at the altar. Her reverence for the Mass was awesome.

We also talked about how we’d like to have a bunch of kids. The inner 5 year-old in me wanted to shout, “Can I be your friend?!” but it was time for us to part ways.

Observing this woman and her children made me realize that helping your children during Mass is an amazing form of prayer. She wasn’t at Mass because she had to be. She wasn’t at Mass to save face or to make it a social occasion. She was there because she loves Jesus and she wants her children to love Jesus as well. She wants her children to get to heaven.

Maybe she can’t recall what the second Scripture reading was. But God is smiling down on her because she is making sure that her children know what it is. Mass isn’t all about “what can I get out of this?” It’s helping others get to God.

Wiping noses, finding a lost sock, letting your baby gnaw on the missalette, teaching the Sign of the Cross- these are all beautiful forms of prayer. I sure hope I can do my very best in this way of praying.

I still need to find balance. I still need to find some more “God time” in my day and stop making Mass my only “God time” of the week. I just feel like I don’t have time.

Yes, life has changed so much since I’ve become a mother. I’m anxious to see where the rest of this journey will take me and what other lessons I will learn.

10 comments:

Patty said...

Ah. This is such a beautiful post - again! From the heart. For the record, my kids NEVER slept during Mass. I was always so envious of those "other" families :) The girls are excellent in church and Stan the man is getting better. Kind of two steps forward, one step back. But, that is his disposition. Looking back, we have had our shares of ups and downs in the behaviour dept. That is life and the stage we happened to be in at the time. One note, a priest told us once that when you sit toward the front and make a habit of sitting up there, the kids can see more of what is taking place and will actually pay more attention. He was right. It took a few months for Stan to calm down...and we did have to make that long treck down the main isle to correct him in the back...but it eventually did work. Just food for thought...

Rebecca said...

Beautiful post Maggie! I notice such a difference in the mom's who are at Mass because they love Jesus and the others who are there because they *have* to be. And you are right, the behavior of their children echos their mindset.

Natalie said...

I have been struggling with this a lot too with our toddler during Mass! We usually sit in our cry room just so I don't have to constantly worry about him walking a bit down the floor in front of the pew but I still feel like he distracts me so much. I keep going, but I feel the need to at least on some occassions take him to the nursery so I can pay attention to Mass. Finding that balance between teaching him about being reverent in Mass and keeping myself from getting distracted by (or even really upset at) him.

I'm just trying to be patient... and we only have one with two of us in Mass!

Catholic Mutt said...

Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Keep taking Joe...he'll (and you'll) be just fine! I remember worrying about it, too. But I have four now and my older three do excellent (if I do say so) at Mass...rarely have to mess with them. Dominic is kind of all over the place, but I haven't had to actually remove him for a couple of weeks now. :)

PS: something that helped my youngest daughter was an age-appropriate missal and she follows along, turning the pages to make sure she's on the right page for the right part of Mass...

You'll figure out what works for you as you go along. I think you're doing a terrific job already!

Sarah said...

Maggie is still sleeping through most of Mass, though I am with you about turning around to check on her every two minutes.

I am trying to focus on Mass while I can, but it is difficult! I too hope I can help Maggie understand what the Church is and who Jesus is. I'm so excited for her baptism in two weeks!

That Married Couple said...

This is fantastic, Maggie. I love your point about it not being what we get emotionally or intellectually out of the mass (we always get something, thanks to the Eucharist!) but helping our families and even those around us get to God.

I have been taking Miriam to daily mass maybe once a week, and it's really nice. All the older people love to look at her afterwards, which makes me feel better if she fusses a little during the mass. I hope to keep this up so I can become like the mother you saw!

And my husband and I are hoping to sit closer to the front again soon, though we haven't worked up the nerve yet! The purpose is two-fold: both to keep Miriam's attention better (when she's big enough to actually pay attention) and to keep our attention better (I get so distracted in the back seeing everyone come in late)!

Amy said...

Great post. It is hard with a little one to pay attention. But then, we had a really difficult night this past Saturday, so I left my 3-month-old home with daddy and went to church by myself. And still ended up thinking about him half the time! I think, like you say, making God more part of my every day will hopefully help in that regard. I do dream of one day being the woman at Mass with a brood of angelic children, but maybe God will teach me humility instead!

BlessedMom said...

Ya know, it's funny. During the time that our 1st and 2nd were little, we lived in the cry room. We bombarded the kids with every toy, snack, and distraction that we possibly could. Yet, we still left Mass every week exhausted. Neither one of us had gotten anything from being there except frustration. Now...we're on our third child. We haven't sat in the cry room for several years (our baby is 13 months). And we finally really hear and participate in Mass again.

Basically what I'm saying is, it took me having three children to find the time to put back into God. Isn't it ironic?? I also bring my two youngest to Mass with me at least two additional times a week...I think this really helps. It never hurts to prepare a bit for the mass ahead of time either. Even if all you can do is read of few sentences of the Gospel on the drive over...anything is something.

The time will come...I promise!!!

Heather said...

Hi, this is my first time commenting, but I'm a fellow new mom and I've enjoyed your posts about life with Joe. This one especially--I will be thinking about praying and loving God through caring for my busy 12 month old during Mass!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails