Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why Enough is Never Enough: A Review

When I had the chance to review the book Why Enough is Never Enough: Overcoming Worries about Money- A Catholic Perspective, I jumped on it. Worrying about money is something I do. A lot.

I didn't really know what to expect with this book. Would it be a guide on how to save money? A tool to spending money wisely?

It wasn't either of those. The author, Gregory S. Jeffrey, is a development consultant for parishes, so he knows plenty about people and their monetary habits. He dives into the typical "money doesn't make you happy" but he goes much deeper than that.

He talks about the virtue of generosity, learning to trust God (something I think we all struggle with), build a deeper relationship with Him, and how to combat greed and envy. It's like a theology book built in with subtle advice on how to be at peace with money.

Another thing I really liked about this book was after each chapter he has a reflection section with questions and conversation starters to share with your money partner. It asks the tough questions that some people do not want to face and other questions that one may never think of.

Did this instantly quell my worries about money? No, but I don't think that is the point of Mr. Jeffrey's book. He teaches us that our relationship with God and building on our virtues is a starting point in being at peace with our financial situation.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Why Enough Is Never Enough. They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should read that. I do a lot better at not stressing as much about money since we went through Financial Peace University last year, but I'm always all about working on that trust in God thing... :)

Patty said...

I haven't heard that one. It sounds like a good one! Thanks for sharing your review on it.

That Married Couple said...

Oh, money is such a tough topic, especially if spouses are not in complete agreement as to how much to give (and I feel like they very often aren't).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails