Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Breast Pumps and Boppy's and Bumbo's- OH MY!

A couple weeks ago my husband and I ventured out to register for baby stuff. Now, before I was preggo, walking down the baby aisles of Target and Wal-Mart was so much fun. I couldn't wait to have my own little bundle of joy. I was excited for breast feeding items, slings and car seats. When it came time to actually choose these things for my 26 week old baby inside me, I was quite overwhelmed!



I asked for advice before I registered and got quite a few helpful responses. I was still worried that I would "over register" and people would look at my list and think I was super greedy. I was also wary about registering for breast feeding products. That might give some people the heebie jeebies (even though breast feeding is natural and beautiful- nothing to be embarrassed about.) One of the best pieces of advice was given to me by a first time mom. She told me I was not alone in being clueless what to register for and just to go with what I think would benefit me, my husband and our baby. She gave me peace of mind to just go for it.



I went to Target first. They give you a checklist of things to register for. I could tell already that I wouldn't be getting everything they suggested. I went along, zapping cute little blankets and burp clothes until I got to the onesies. There were packages of "newborn" onesies and "0-3 month" onesies. The differences were in relation to the weight of your baby. Uh... I have no clue what size my baby is going to be at birth! Both Ryan and I were little scrawny newborns. But that doesn't necessarily mean that our baby will be tiny. But what if there is an emergency and the baby is born prematurely? All of a sudden these panic-y visions started running through my head of having a premature baby or a 12 pound chunker. I just zapped a couple of both sizes and ran away.



Then came the breast feeding aisle. I knew for sure I'd need nursing pads, and creams and ointments for my future sore breasts. I zapped away at those. But then there were those pumps. Some of the electric ones were expensive! WOW! Then were were manual pumps that were super cheap. I stood there looking at all the pumps and breast feeding bottles and storage bags and started to really wish I would have researched more on breastfeeding. Did I really need a breast pump? I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and register for a moderately priced one. I wouldn't use it all the time (since I have no job to go back to after the baby is born) but it would be nice so Ryan could feed our son every once in awhile or in case of some unforseen emergency. I registered for a few extra bottles and storage bags and went on my merry way.



What confused me the most was car seats. I never knew there were so many varieties of car seats! I knew I wanted an infant carrier because it has a handle on it. You can take it into church, into the store, into the house, etc. I really wanted to register for a travel system- the car seat that snaps into a stroller. A nice two-for-one item! But then I discovered the convertible car seat. Infant carriers only work for infants up to about 22 lbs or so. But a convertible car seat "grows with your child." It can be used while the baby is an infant and when they graduate to front-facing car seat status. Should I really register for two? That seemed really greedy. But then I figured if we did receive both as gifts that one of the grandma's could keep one at their house as a spare!



Then we got into the non-essential items. Bumbo's- some people said don't get them- they are unsafe, others said it was one of the best baby items they received. Swings- some people said don't bother, others swore by a certain brand and model. Don't get a Diaper Genie. Don't get wipe warmers. Do get a diaper caddy. Do get an activity mat. Don't get a baby sling, they've been recalled. ACK!!!



I survived that registering experience. I registered at Wal-Mart through the Internet, which was really nice because you can read product reviews. I still have a couple things to add, but I'm basically done and happy with the items I registered for.



This whole experience has taught me something about advice and parenting. Advice from others can be a good and bad thing. I'm definitely a "if I want your advice, I'll ask for it" type of person. But I know there will be those overly-helpful people who will give me advice even if I don't ask for it. I know that is something I will have to get used to. (Just offer it up, Maggie, just offer it up!) I do appreciate those people who offer snippets of advice every once in awhile. It's just those people who are constantly telling me how I should do things! (I still have a little 3 year old in me shouting, "I can do it myself!")



But even the advice I do ask for may get to be a little overwhelming (for example- what to register for.) I've already decided not to rely on many books for parenting advice (have you SEEN the parenting section at your favorite book store?! There are as many parenting techniques as there are fish in the sea it seems like!) Everyone has their own unique way of parenting. Every child is different and needs different ways of parenting.



I think that is going to be one of the greatest adventures of new motherhood- figuring it all out. It will be scary, I know. I will be looking for advice and good role models in parenting (thankfully I have quite a few around me!) But I can't wait to learn more about myself as a mother, Ryan as a father, and especially about the little miracle growing inside me!

4 comments:

Joe @ Defend Us In Battle said...

We are 4 months in. We also were 4300 miles away from our families. So we had no shower, no real "registry" and no family around to tell us what to do right... or wrong.

Best advice I can give... is to figure it out on your own, and it seems like you already have learned that.

We are much different parents than we EVER thought we would be. We baby-wear(Mobys, Ring Slings, and Ergo), use cloth diapers and co-sleep. They work for us and we think are best for our child... but may not be for you.

We got a ton of advice, and we realized advice was free. So we would listen... but then pray and discuss.

Figuring it out is half the fun!

Anonymous said...

1. I have no idea what a bumpo is. Do I want to know?

2. At almost 11 weeks, I'm not yet at the stage to *actually* consider buying or registering for anything, but the few times we've walked through target's baby area (haven't worked up the courage for babies'r'us yet), its been pretty overwhelming. I'm hoping to have some time to read up on what we actually need once I'm farther along.

Let me know how it goes! ;)

Joy said...

Congratulations, registering can be intimidating and overwhelming but I hope you also had some fun!!

That Married Couple said...

I walked through the baby stores yesterday with my mother, keeping in mind all the other advice I had been reading. It was so nice to have her say "no, you really don't need that" and "well, but have you thought about why you might use this?" I left uncertain about a few things, but more certain on others, so I considered it a success :) I agree, it seems like what's most important is to figure out what you think your family will need and go from there! (Even if that means not taking your own family's advice on a few things!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails