Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Today is my mom's birthday. I'm sure she doesn't want me to blog about her, but I am going to anyways. She's special to me- one of the most important people in my life. I blog about important people... :-)

My mom is one of the strongest single mothers I know. I feel so blessed that she's my mom. Growing up I knew that we weren't super rich, but that never really bothered me. We didn't have a car, for the longest time we had no phone and I knew we had these things called "food stamps", but I never once felt like I was "cheated" out of anything. She always made me feel loved and protected, whether it was letting me sleep with her when I was scared even though I kicked like a crazy person or taking extra-special care to make the perfect Halloween costume for me. She found ways to make what could have been hard times- like Christmas- very special with heart-warming memories I will cherish forever. Maybe I never had the coolest shoes in school, but she instilled in me the value that happiness doesn't come from money. However she did spoil me sometimes (OK, a lot actually..)- getting the Super Nintendo system was pretty awesome!

I know I tease her about always taking Jamie on neat vacations while he was growing up and not taking me anywhere, but she made sure I wasn't always stuck in Tarkio. Sometimes we went to Indian Caves or Charity Lake. There were even some non-spectacular moments like the Mound City flea market that seem almost mundane, but are special little memories I cherish. She frequently took me to movies and out to shop. She used to send me to my Uncle Alan and Uncle Steve's in south Missouri for my own little mini-vacations.

I know this may be hard to believe...but brace yourselves- I wasn't a perfect angel growing up. I was Little Miss Drama Queen. I had an older brother, but since he was already out of the house when I was five I was basically an only child. And boy did I act like it! We butted heads ALL the time in high school. Mostly over boys. I thought she was being unfair and un-cool. Now I realize that she was being protective and loving. I thought I knew it all back then, I was so ego-centric and she "just didn't understand." However, she wasn't overly-strict. She let me stumble and fall in a healthy way to learn my own life lessons. She was the perfect amount of strict- I didn't go all wild and out of control like some kids of very strict parents do, or become disobedient and troublesome like some kids whose parents didn't put forth limits or rules.

After my high school years, when I struggled to find myself, my mom was always there. Even though she was absolutely furious for me quitting college, she calmly let me know a few weeks afterwards that she would always be there for me. And she truly was. I had financial troubles, men troubles, school troubles- and she helped me through it all without batting an eye.

One of the best feelings I get is making my mom proud. She absolutely adores my husband (she often jokes that he's a saint for putting up with me...funnily enough his mom says that I'm the saint for putting up with him.) So walking down the aisle at my wedding was amazing because not only was I going to marry my best friend, but I knew my mom was happy. She had witnessed me dating a few stinkers in my past, so I know she was truly happy to witness true love and a new member joining our family. And when I walked across the stage to get my college diploma, I had tears of joy in my eyes, not only because I had FINALLY FINALLY FIIIIINALLY finished college, but also because I knew my mom was so happy I had graduated. Part of that victory was for her.

I grew up without a father. I didn't meet him or know anything about him until I was eleven years old. Although I was curious about who he was, I never felt a need to even want a father around. My mom performed the jobs of mother and father so well, that I was perfectly content and satisfied with just my mom. She also raised Jamie without his dad in the picture. What an amazing woman. She had a newborn and a 13 year old son to take care of and she was working as a bartender and going to college after a nearly 18 year absence. She even took me to her classes; that's how devoted she was as a mother and student. And not to brag, but I think my brother and I turned out pretty good without having our dads in the picture. We both are in loving marriages, work hard and are devoted Catholics. She instilled in us a love of family, love of hard work and a love of life. She did good. Real good.

When I was a teenager I so longed for my mom to be a pal, a good friend instead of a woman who wouldn't let me stay out past midnight or take my boyfriends to my room. But I thank God that she wasn't all buddy-buddy back then, because that just wouldn't have been the best way to parent me. But now I can say we are best friends. We still drive each other crazy, but I hate going a day without talking to her on the phone. One of the joys in my life is to come back to Tarkio and sit out in the back yard or ride around town and just talk and be around her.

Mom, your birthday is almost over, but I hope you know that I love you very, very much. All the happiness in my life has come to me through you. You are an amazing woman and I hope to become more like you when I "grow up."

Happy birthday Mom.
I love ya!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails