Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Alma Mater: Music From the Vatican

I have been asked by a gentleman working on a music project on behalf of Geffen/Universal, to write about a project titled "Alma Mater: Music From the Vatican". I have not heard this album in it's entirety; however, I have heard a snippet of it and have been asked to write about how I feel about it.

As some of you may know I enjoy singing for my church choir back home for Christmas, Easter and other special occasions. I even chose St. Cecilia, the patron saint of musicians and Church music, as my Confirmation saint. I get horrible stage fright when I sing by myself, but hearing the soothing tones of the organ and the harmonious voices of my fellow singers blending together brings peace to my soul. My priest (who happens to be our conductor) has told us that when we sing "Panis angelicus" during communion, people come to receive the Body of Christ with tears in their eyes. Music is such a strong source of emotion.

They say that singing in Church is "praying twice" and that Church music in general is a very powerful form of prayer. Our own Pope Benedict XVI has said, "I am convinced that music really is the universal language of beauty which can bring together all people of good will on earth." How true and beautiful is that? In our world we may have different languages or customs that seem to separate us, but music is one thing that each of us can identify with. We listen to it to relax, to celebrate, to worship, to mourn, to enjoy, etc.

This album is due to be released November 29, 2009 (the First Sunday of Advent.) There are many things that catch my attention. First of all, this album is made to honor the Virgin Mary. The title "Alma Mater' is translated to "nourishing mother." And isn't that what the Mother of God is? She nourished Christ in her womb and while He growing up and beginning His ministry. She nourishes all of us with her love and relentless intercession.

Secondly, this album features the voice of Pope Benedict XVI. Not only do we have the Virgin Mother of God as an inspiration, but we have the Vicar of Christ lending a part in this musical piece.

But what attracts me most to this album is the music itself. When the composers started making this music they used Gregorian chant and classical choirs as a base. However they add other ethnic music to it. It's so easy for us to think of music of the Catholic Church as very Western- the chants, the choirs, the gargantuan cathedrals, the monks singing in prayer. The organs, the classical orchestras, Hadyn, Schubert, Vivaldi. But I think it is very important to remember that the Catholic Church is universal. Think of the churches in North Africa or Spain or South America who integrate their own cultural ways of music into the Mass. It's beautiful. Christ came to save everyone and I'm sure He appreciates all types of music, as long as it is respectful and true to the Catholic Church.

So there is still the classic and beautiful melodies of Gregorian Chant, orchestra and the choir in this album. But the ethnic elements add a spiritual flare to really embody the Universal Church.

I love all types of music. I truly enjoy the classic Western music, but I also love to listen to cultural music. So this album definitely has caught my eye.

If you'd like to read more of the press releases and additional information regarding this album, click here.

They also have a You Tube video, where you can hear part of the music.



"Sing a new song unto the Lord; let your song be sung from mountains high. Sing a new song unto the Lord, singing alleluia! Yaweh's people dance for joy. O Come before the Lord. And play for him on glad tambourines, and let your trumpet sound!"
-Sing a New Song, Dan Schutte



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails