Friday, October 9, 2009

For He's a Jolly Good Fellow



There are many things I could write about today. I could write about President Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I could write about how police officers get a bad rap in today's media. These will have to wait for another day. Because this day is devoted to the memory of my Uncle Mick.


Today would have been my dear Uncle Mick's 60th birthday. Usually my family has a big celebration to mark the occasion. There's usually a picture montage with a musical background and many, many beers used to help celebrate. Since Mick passed away at the too-young-age of 54, he didn't get quite the same type of celebration. Instead, at our family reunion after his death we did see a picture montage, but Mick enjoyed it in heaven instead of here on earth. However there were still many, many beers and lots of stories and memories shared around the campfire.


I always smile when looking at pictures of Uncle Mick. I only have fond memories of him. There are just so many.


What I remember the most is his smile. The above picture is my favorite one of him, because it shows how his smile just lights up any room. He had a jovial, infectious laugh and there was always an ornery twinkle in his eyes when he laughed and smiled.


He was always so tall and skinny. When he was in his police uniform he seemed larger than life to me when I was a small child. He was such an amazing Chief of Police for nearly 20 years. Everyone loved him and he was a comforting sight to see while driving around in his cop car. There was one time while his daughter and I were in class when a guy who lived next to the school keep revving up his motorcycle engine, disturbing and annoying our class. Megan called her dad to have him stop the noise. We all looked out our classroom window and saw as Mick pulled up to the guy and his motorcycle. Instead of staying in his car and giving a stern warning, Mick got out of the car and started chatting with the man. From where we were standing it looked like a relaxed, casual conversation. No scolding, no warning. They were talking for so long we kind of got bored. But we never heard the motorcycle engine rev up again.


There was another time when we were very young when Megan and I let out my pet bird, Tweety. He was flying around the house and landed on a shelf that wasn't too stable and he fell behind this very heavy buffet cabinet. We both FREAKED out because we love animals and couldn't get my poor bird out from behind the buffet. Thankfully Uncle Mick was sitting in his cop car in the church parking lot beside my house looking for speeders and as he put it "fighting crime and/or evil." We begged and yelled for help and he calmly walked over, pulled out the cabinet and there hopped out Tweety. He was our hero!


I remember the looks of pride Megan would get when her dad came to the school in his uniform to hand out junior patrolmen badges and when she got to ride in the front seat of his cop car to throw out candy at parades. I was always kind of jealous of her to get to do all those cool things. But I was proud too, to have my Uncle as a police officer.


I remember Uncle Mick's goofy nature. He always had jokes- some funny, some that just made you groan. One of my favorites: What does a snail, riding on the back of a turtle say? Answer: WEEEEEEE!!!!! There are many other "Mick-ism's"


He always had little songs to sing. When my nephew Maxwell was born Uncle Mick was always singing, "Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer, came down on her head!" when Jamie and the kids came to visit. He also had a little ditty while driving across the Missouri River, something like "The Ol' Muddy Mo, the Big River...." something like that, but I have forgotten the rest.


And of course- who can forget his love of Schlitz beer. He loved it so much that the bars in town had to order it especially for him since he was the only one in Tarkio to drink it! He was always trying to get others to try a sip and his apartment was filled with Schiltz memorabilia. He would have been thrilled to learn the brewing company changed the recipe of the brew to make it more like it was in the good ol' days.


He instilled in many his love of the Beatles. Shortly before his mother passed away she made sure Mick got a ticket to see the Beatles live in concert in Kansas City. Whenever I see something related to the Beatles I always think of him. He probably would have wanted to purchase the Beatles Rock Band video game set when it came out this past September.


Then there was the little things I remember. He always had cinnamon Certs candies. He loved baseball and football and religiously cheered on the Kansas City Royals and Chiefs. He always stopped by when family was in town. I remember being annoyed as a little kid when mom would pull in beside Mick's cop car and they would talk and talk and talk... He always seemed to be running late, because he was laid back and in no hurry. We called it "Mick Time." There was a time he reasurred my best friend and I that the walkie talkies we carried around while cruising Tarkio couldn't be heard by everyone.


Many are heartbroken that he was taken away so suddenly. But we have to remember- he has the best seats in the house. He always sees his two beautiful daughters growing up to be outstanding and wise women. He always sees his three beautiful grandchildren blossoming into amazing and adorable little people. He always sees his sister- his best friend- grow closer to her faith and become more involved with different activities. He always sees his nephew follow in his footsteps in regards to law enforcement and in his areas of wit and humor.


He was reconciled to God at the end of his life, so I am certain he is in a better place. Uncle Mick's life reminds me to enjoy the time I have here on earth, cherish the memories with family and friends, hold no grudges, laugh a lot, smile through it all, and simply live.


But perhaps most of all, Uncle Mick's life reminds me that our ultimate end is not here on Earth. I strive each day to be able to earn my way into Heaven, where he is now. Heaven will be so awesome- there will be God, Love Himself, the angels, saints and last but not least- our family.


And there, in all of of his heavenly splendor, will be Uncle Mick singing "Dog on a radiator.....hot dog!"


2 comments:

Calys Mama said...

Well Maggie, I am sad to hear he has gone and yes he was the light of any room. I remember him coming to school and always making us laugh. Megan was lucky to have such a father and to be so much like him. I hope that everything for you and your family goes well with still trying to cope with your lose.

Megan McAdams said...

Wow Maggie. This was perfect. I have been sitting here laughing the entire time, remembering things I haven't thought of for a while, or forgotten. Of course Dad will never be forgotten. His love for life flowed from him to us and I'm so proud and honored to have him as my father. Thank you for honoring him in such a way! His love, laughter, and legacy will live on forever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails