Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sam's Surgery Take 2

I haven't been able to blog today because I've been holding a very grumpy boy all day.

Yesterday Sam had surgery. No reschedules this time!

The surgery was later in the afternoon instead of the morning. I thought that would make the fasting from breastmilk part easier, but actually it was more difficult.

We got to the pre-op area and did all the same stuff we did at our previous appointment. Then the doctor came in and it was the moment of truth. He looked to see if his rash was gone and indeed it was! He left and we talked to anesthesia. After that conversation my heart kind of sank because there was no turning back.

We walked down the hallway toward surgery and when the nurse took him my heart broke. Sam had this scared look on his face and was screaming and crying and reaching out for me. Ryan had to usher me away quickly. It's very hard to fight that urge to go running after your baby to comfort him!

I was bawling as we went down to the waiting room and Ryan was crying, too. He said it was because I was crying... :-) But we pulled ourselves together since Joe was with us. I spent most of the time running after Joe in the waiting room.

The surgery was over in 45 minutes and the doctor came to talk to us. He was very happy with how it all went. There is a little thing on a testicle called a gubernaculm (isn't that the funniest word you've ever heard?) that basically anchors the testicle to the scrotum. Well this little guber had attached to the area next to the scrotum, so there wouldn't be a way for it descend naturally. Basically his little testicle didn't fall into the right slot.

We had to wait for Sam to get out of recovery, which was about another 45 minutes. We went to "Reunion Avenue" to meet him. I thought they might bring him out in a little bed. But a kind nurse walked out with him resting his head on her shoulder covered in a blanket. Another nurse was holding his IV bag. He had his face turned away from me and I could tell he was really out of it. As soon as I said his name he perked up and looked around for me. As soon as he saw me he wiggled and squirmed and held his arms out for me. Now THAT was a wonderful feeling!

We went to the post op room where I nursed him and we got some snuggle time. They gave us our discharge instructions and we were on our way home. He spent most of the night very lethargic in my arms. He didn't seem to be in pain until about 9:00, which was horrifying, but thankfully we had a prescription pain medication that seemed to help.

This morning he was in more pain. Then came the vomiting... ALL OVER MY FACE. There's nothing like feeling like someone tossed a glass full of curdled breastmilk/vomit all over your face at 6:30 in the morning. I mean it was DRIPPING off my face and was in my ears and nose and everything! It got all over Sam, too. Thanks be to God I have the most wonderful husband in the universe and he came home from work. When he walked in he saw the curds in my hair and I rushed to the shower! He spent the rest of the day cleaning and doing laundry and taking care of Joe while I laid around with Sam. He was pretty miserable all day. We took a long nap this afternoon and he seems to be doing much better!

Thanks all for the prayers and support. I can't imagine having to do this for a more serious surgery. There were big groups of families in the waiting room and you could tell their children were in much more complex surgeries than Sam's. I pray for all families who have to go through this!

Happy as usual right before his surgery!
Found these gems in the waiting room. My 1994 self was geeking out!
Had to take Joe with us which was a bit of a challenge, but thankfully he did very for the most part!
Reunited in post-op!
Happy to have my baby in my arms!
His little IV
My poor baby. Thank goodness for books and Toy Story!
 

4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

So happy your little man is feeling better and the hard part is behind you.

Prayers for you all, friend! : )

Patty said...

Big hugs and kisses to your little man! Hope tomorrow is a better day!

Jenny said...

I am glad everything went well. Well, except for the throwing up part. I am so sorry about that. May he continue to heal quickly and be back to his old self very soon!

Colleen said...

Phew! It's over :) Glad it all went ok.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails