Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas, Christmas Time is Here!

*That bald-headed babe is me on my first Christmas being held by my loving big brother, Roman Catholic Cop. Looks like I'm trying to punch him...even then I was trying to defend myself!

I should be packing my suitcase because tomorrow we leave for Kansas City to spend one Christmas with Ryan's family and then off to Tarkio to spend another Christmas with my family. I should be baking sheet after sheet of cookies. So what am I doing instead? Trying to write this blog post while being distracted by home videos that I burned to DVD last night.

A couple weeks ago I had big plans to dive deep into all my favorite Christmas memories and put them in blog form. And even though I am unemployed, I got too busy to organize my Christmas memory thoughts.

So here is a shorter version of my favorite Christmas memories.

Childhood

When I was growing up we didn't have a lot of money. We didn't have a telephone or a car. It was because of the generosity of family and of strangers that made my Christmases a wonderful childhood memory.

I'm not sure how old I was- maybe four or five years old, when one day we came home to find a box on our front porch. In it was a few toys for me (one was a big moose stuffed animal named Mooseltoe that I still have to do this day), a winter coat and a few groceries. My mom had no clue who it came from.

Thanks to my Uncle Steve and Aunt Betty and my Mom and I actually got a good Christmas. Without them my Chrismases would have been pretty bleak. Every Christmas until I was about eight years old Steve drove the two hours from Kansas City to Tarkio to pick us up and take us back to his house. He, his wife, and my mom pitched in for wonderful presents and goodies. His wife always cooked an amazing Christmas dinner. One year I was supposed to say grace before dinner and I stood up and said the "Pledge of Allegiance" like Aunt Bethany does on the movie "Christmas Vacation." (In my defense my older cousin convinced me to do it. I sure hope God has a sense of humor!) One time we drove to another uncle's house and sang Christmas carols in his front yard. We'd always go look at Christmas lights on the beautiful big homes on Ward Parkway and the Plaza Christmas lights. It wasn't anything too spectacular, but for this small-town girl I was awe-struck.

My mom and Steve used to take me to see Santa Clause at the Ward Parkway mall. Now here's the funny thing: while I was little I never knew the street with all the big homes was Ward Parkway or knew that all the shops lit up were called the Plaza. The only thing I was familiar with about Kansas City in my later years was Barry Road and North Oak Trafficway since my brother lived in that area. We never went south of the Missouri River. But when Ryan and I started dating I went south of the river a lot because his parents live there. They live just a few blocks from the Plaza and Ward Parkway. So when Christmas came and I begged Ryan to take me out to look at all the Christmas lights I was almost in tears because I was looking at the same houses and buildings I had ooo'ed and aahhh'ed at when I was a little kid! I never made the connection that these were the same areas! And it made me wonder....Like me, Ryan always went to see Santa at Ward Parkway mall. Maybe I was standing next to my future husband in line to see Santa when we were six years old! (I've scoured all my mom's photos and Ryan's mom's photos to see if that was the case...I don't have any hard evidence, but I'd like to think we did stand next to each other!)

Oh I have so many more memories to share of my childhood, but that will have to wait until next year. BUT- there is one commercial that always stands out to me and I swear it's been on for years:



Christmas Through a Child's Eyes

It is this time of year that gets me SO excited to have children someday. As adults we stress during this joyous holiday season. A lot of times we see no joy at all. We see expenses, budgets, event after event, time constraints, and pressure to make everything look holly jolly. But if you look at a child and see how excited they are, how pure their happiness is that Christmas is coming soon, the season takes on a whole new meaning.

I remember when my nephew Max was about three years old. I was helping him with his stocking and his joyful reactions to each thing pulled out brought tears to my eyes. When he pulled out a bottle of Elmo bubble bath you'd think he pulled out the Holy Grail he was so excited and happy!

That is a memory I will cherish and I cannot wait to see that same look of happiness and excitement on my own child's face someday.

Yay Mass!

I just love, love, LOVE Midnight Mass. Before Mass begins all the lights are off except for the lights in the back choir loft. The rest of the church is lit by candle light and Christmas lights. There are tons of sparkling poinsettias around and a large and beautiful nativity scene. While all the world is either asleep or doing their own holiday shin-dig, I am there with my family celebrating the birth of Christ by receiving His True Presence in the Eucharist. It truly is a silent night before Midnight Mass. I sing in the choir and we're pretty good (I think so anyway!)

It is so quiet and peaceful before Mass but once Mass begins it's an all out celebration! The lights turn on, the procession starts and the birth of Jesus is proclaimed! Our priest uses incense and all the High Mass goodies that is only used for Easter and funerals.

The church is usually packed. On any other Sunday many pews are left empty, but at Midnight mass even the much-avoided front row is filled. Sure they are not all St. Paul parishioners; many are family members of parishioners and CEO Catholics (Christmas, Easter and Other Occasions) but I'm sure a full church pleases the Lord.


Well I've already spent way too much time blogging away. I need to pack and bake! I'm taking a blogging break to spend time with family and friends. I wish all of you a very happy and blessed Christmas. May God bless each of you and your families!

Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred,
and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit,
become a child again at Christmas-time.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the quote at the end, that's really beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful time at both of your Christmases. :)

Anonymous said...

I love Midnight Mass, too. SAdly, so many parishes don't have one anymore!

Have a Merry Christmas! I really enjoy reading your blog (and your brother's! I didn't know you two were related! How cool!!!)

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Our parish has Mass at 11:30, but by the time the choir is done singing it's about midnight. Lots of kids are passed out in the pews!

Yup...he's my big brother! He's the reason I started to blog and is a big inspiration in my spiritual life. (Even tho he's a big dork!!!)

Merry Christmas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails