Friday, February 4, 2011

Candy Canes and Conversation Hearts

We have a bowl on top of our microwave. In it are a few candy canes left over from Christmas and a box of conversation heart candies. Looking at those items reminds me of how much I dislike this time of year.

I'm usually depressed for a few days and I wonder why. Then I remember seasonal affective disorder. I always think, "Nah, that can't be it." But then I realize- "Yep, that's what it is."

The joy of Christmas is over and there is nothing really more to look forward to. Sure, there is the Super Bowl, but I actually get kind of depressed around this time because that means football is over. I am not much of a basketball or baseball fan so I have to wait awhile for football to come back.

It doesn't help that I haven't gotten out of the house since Sunday. Stupid massive blizzard.

It doesn't help that I'm feeling I'm in a rut in my exercise routine. Sure, it's still physically challenging, but it's starting to get boring. I remember why I hate exercising to DVD's- it can get to be a snooze fest. I haven't been losing weight (just one measly pound) and I wasn't smart and didn't take my measurements before I started this whole shenanigan so I don't really know how much progress I'm making. I wish the weather was nice so I could go walking or running. Or we didn't live out in the sticks so I could go work out at a gym.

It doesn't help that Baby Joe is not sleeping like he used to. It used to be fairly easy to get him to sleep, and even though he still wakes every 3 hours to nurse, I'm used to it, and he'd go right back to sleep. But now he won't fall asleep unless he is in my arms. As soon as I lay him down he is wide awake. So it's a back and forth battle of standing by his crib and comforting him, watching him drift off, sneak out of the room, him realize I'm not there and start screaming, I come in and rock him back to sleep, lay him down, and he starts fussing again. I love cuddling with my love bug, but I am losing even more sleep and my house is starting to look like a disaster zone.

It doesn't help that some news we have been waiting for has come back as bad news. I will go into details later. I received this news as I am writing this, so I think I'm going to stop writing for now. I had much more to say, but I don't have the strength to write anymore. I'm losing faith and losing heart. I foresee binging on Girl Scout cookies and watching a Harry Potter or Friends marathon tonight...

I'm thankful I have a very smile-y boy who cracks me up and a husband that bends over backwards to cheer me up. He let me take a long nap today. When he left for work today I told him I'm sorry I was in such a dark depressing place. Before he left he went into the kitchen, got a lighter and lit some candles in our living room and said, "Since I can't be here, I'll make some light for you."

Counting my blessings right now... that's all I can do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the weather and the SAD. it's probably more delicate for you since you're post-partum...but I completely relate to most of what you've written.

I will pray for you. I'm sorry you got bad news. (((HUGS)))

Patty said...

Ditto on what Michelle wrote and in addition, what a wonderful husband. How loving and thoughtful.

Rebecca said...

Sending love and (((hugs))) your way.

And prayers too, always.

Joy said...

Hugs and empathy ~ I also struggle with 'winter blues'. Hoping your weather improves so you can get out of the house soon. In the meantime enjoy some comfort food and TV (love Friends) and enjoy the wonderful upper body your mini personal trainer is giving you.

Catholic Mutt said...

I think Friends is a great way to spend such an evening! I hope you get to get outside soon, and I'm sorry to hear you got bad news... sending prayers your way!

Sarah said...

I feel you my friend, tonight was the first time since Sunday that I left my house. It's just so. hard having a baby in the winter.

I'm sorry Joe isn't sleeping as well as he used to.

Enjoy the GS cookies and movie. I'm praying for you!

Jamie said...

Skip the cookies and call up a friend who makes you laugh. Maybe start planning a summer vacation. Do something not-so-wintery.

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Melissa said...

January is always a completely crappy month for me. I'm glad it's over, but spring won't arrive 'till May (along with our new baby). I hope that sleep gets easier, try to nap when you can, it really does make a difference!

That Married Couple said...

Saying a prayer for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails