Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ravens are Flying...


This upcoming weekend is Benedictine College's Homecoming. My husband and I would love to go back to visit the place where we met and fell in love. However, he has to work this weekend so we'll have to find some other time to visit. If you'd like to know how I discovered Benedictine you can find it in the post about my "spiritual growth spurt."

I wasn't a typical Benedictine student. Since I transferred there I never got to sit at the "Beanie Banquet" or even receive a transfer beanie (I had to request one a week before I graduated.) Beanies are a special tradition to Benedictine. I think we are the only college in the U.S. to uphold this tradition where freshman students wear these small skull-caps during the first couple of weeks of school and if an upper class man pulls off said beanie they have to "kaw" (loudly!) like a raven (our beloved mascot.)

I definitely did not belong to any clique. I wasn't a jock, a party-goer, musician or an artist. The group I would have definitely "belonged" to was the large and diverse group that was proud to be devout Catholics and upheld the teachings of the Church (after all, I was a Theology major!) I wasn't involved in any groups in campus ministry, or FOCUS, or the pro-life group (even though I so longed be a part.) I disciplined myself so hard that I refused to let any extra-curricular activities get in the way of finishing college. I was afraid if I stayed hours chatting in the Caf that I would be tempted to miss class. Sure, I wasn't participating in the "extra-curricular" activities I had at my previous schools, but I was so scared that even getting too heavily involved in campus ministry would get in the way of my studies.

I did make a few great friends, and I got along with my classmates, but I wasn't involved in late night runs to Daylight Doughnuts, have study sessions in the library or Haverty Center, or go on trips to the March for Life in Washington D.C. with my friends.

I never even learned the Fight Song.

But I am totally OK with all this. I am 110% proud to be a Raven and miss my days of being a student there.

Sure I had some problems with some of the administration, but since the college is growing quickly there are bound to be changes not everyone is happy with. And I know there are people who complained about their time at Benedictine. There are Facebook groups and comments of how horrible they think this college is. Even though I've complained as well, I get SO MAD at these comments.

How about focusing on the GOOD rather than the BAD? Those that complain cannot say their entire time at Benedictine was so horrible. Give me a break. (OK, I'll get off my miniature soap box now. Everyone has a right to their own opinion...)

So in my tradition of making lists, I will continue in what I miss about Benedictine College.
  • Even though the college is growing, it is still a small community. The classes were small and I knew a lot of the students there. (Even if they didn't know me.) I felt I was a part of a very large family.
  • Speaking of the word "community", I got SICK of hearing that word while I saw a student, but now I look back on it with fondness. The few times I went to eat at the Caf I observed a very diverse group of students. Many had different interests and beliefs, but we all were in the same boat: trying to get through school, figuring out the future, fighting boredom in Atchison and adjusting to this whole "growing up" thing.
  • I loved my teachers. And not just my theology teachers. Dr. Nick was hilarious and insightful, Brother Larry had a lot of "cocktail information" and even my philosophy professors (a subject that makes me cringe a little bit) were funny and actually made some sense. All the professors I had genuinely cared about their students' well-being and growth.
  • I miss the actual campus. Sure there were those KILLER stairs and hill between the Student Union and Admin (or St. Benedict's Hall, sorry- I'm old school.) But exercise is good right? (Well except when you are running late and have to physically RUN up those stairs...) The campus was right next to the Missouri River, and the whole campus was just beautiful. The trees, the flowers, the landscape. And even in winter when the first snow fell there was this quiet sense of peace. Now they have the beautiful Marian Grotto. (They always get the good stuff when we leave huh?)
  • The library is where I spent my time preparing for my comps and studying for midterms. I always felt really safe and at home since I was surrounded by students with the same concerns and stresses as I was having. I knew I was not alone.
  • I miss going to Mass at St. Benedict's. I especially miss the Student Masses on Sunday nights. I felt I was with family, and we were literally experiencing Heaven on Earth. The Liturgical Choir was amazing and really helped me to focus on celebrating the Eucharist. I miss having people to talk to about religion (and who actually share my same beliefs.) I miss people getting excited over a new piece of reading the Pope comes out with or when the Bishop comes to campus. I miss seeing a real spiritual fire for the Catholic Church. Perhaps that is what I miss the most...
  • There was always something to do or a club to get involved with. Even though I did not take advantage of this, I know that if I wanted to I could go see a soccer or rugby game, listen to a speaker, or go see my fellow Raven's hard work and research on Discovery Day.
  • I miss those glorious days when I really did not feel like going to class and I'd go up to the classroom and seeing a sign on the door saying "Class Canceled."
  • I say this now that I've graduated, but I kind of miss those times right before a final. Everyone was nervous and anxious. But like I've said before, we were part of a community- we shared each other's pain.
  • I loved participating in concert chorale. I loved the music concerts and productions offered by the music department. Kudos to you guys and girls.
  • I loved the genuine pride of Benedictine that was shown in our sports programs. That was definitely a unifying force.
  • I miss "The Joe." I obviously was not a resident at this all boys dorm, but Ryan was, and I LOVED the guys who lived there.
  • I miss the excitement around the time of Christmas Break. The decorations, the parties the Advent Masses. We all worked so hard during the semester and were looking forward to going home to our families and getting a break.
  • When a student tragically passes away, there is always a sense of unity in grieving this student. We all truly feel the pain of losing a part of our "family."

Gosh, I feel myself getting teary-eyed thinking back on my time at Benedictine. I remember during my last weeks there I was ready to be DONE FOREVER. (Of course I had been planning a wedding as well- I was a wee bit stressed.) A friend who graduated from a different college said I would miss it once I was out of there. I thought that was pure hog-wash. Sigh....well he was right (once again.)

I'm sure others have much more exciting memories of Benedictine. But these are mine. And these memories I will truly cherish forever.

"Surround her with your goodness and keep her in your peace.
May Benedictine flourish, her family increase.
Like dappled trees in Autumn
or flowers fresh in Spring,
your glory casts its beauty where souls in wisdom sing."
-O Lord of Every Blessing

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails