Tuesday, October 6, 2009

In the Motherhood


When one thinks of a "vocation" most of the time the thought drifts to someone entering the religious life. However it can also mean entering the vocation of mother or father.


I have known since I was a little girl that my vocation was to be a wife and mother. It wasn't one of those "I like to play with my dolly, I can't wait to be a mommy," I mean I knew I was meant to be a wife and mom. I wrote in my little diary when I was young how I couldn't wait to meet a nice boy and get married and start having lots of babies. I even had names picked out (Miranda Lauren? I wonder where I thought that one up!)


When I was eleven years old my oldest niece was born. The joy and happiness she brought to my brother and his wife was so exciting. Again, I couldn't wait to grow up to start a family of my own to feel that excitement.


Over the years Jamie and Abby added two more children to their family, Max and Molly. I loved it when they came to visit my mom and I- they brought such fun and entertainment! It was always a treat to get to babysit them all. Throughout the years I babysat them I imagine what it would be like to raise my own children.


Last week I babysat my cousin's three adorable children. They are four, three and two years old. The days were filled Nick Jr., baby dolls and playing store. Although there were times I felt overwhelmed (I never before had to get three kids ready for preschool!) I had a very enjoyable time!


The blogs I am most addicted to are the ones that mothers write. Some of my favorites include Momopoly and Beautiful Chaos. I catch a glimpse into the world of these amazing women and their adventures of being a wife and mother. After reading their blogs and then looking at mine, I'm reminded of what a boring life I lead!


I know some moms and other women will either roll their eyes or yell at the computer, "You're nuts!" for what I am about to write.


Here is what I am looking forward to when I become a mother:

-hugs

-kisses

-runny noses to wipe

-sippy cups

-boppys

-watching Disney movies

-pigtails

-the sacred bonding of breastfeeding

-scrapped knees to bandage and heal with a kiss

-seeing my husband teach our kids about sports

-tricycles

-Osh Kosh

-Easter egg hunts

-the triumph of potty training

-Elmo

-teaching them their ABC's

-Halloween costumes and trick or treating

-hearing their first words and seeing their first steps

-Christmas morning

-strollers

-silly dance time

-crayons

-imaginary friends

-birthday parties

-bed time prayers

-First Communion

-baby dolls

-Kansas City Royals baseball caps (Ryan wore one ALL the time as a little kid)

-wiping baby drool

-Oreos, popsicles and lolly pops

-minivans

-summertime at the pool

-sports practices and ballet lessons

-checking the closet for monsters


I could go on and on, really- I had to cut some out!


I love my husband so much that I want to see a little part of him in our children. I see how awesome he takes care of me that I just know he will be an amazing father.


My heart aches to be a mother. For five glorious weeks while I was pregnant I was a mother. I am still a mother at heart.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

awww this is such a cute post :)
I bet you'll be a fantastic mother someday.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way! When I was a little kid, I loved to "play housewife". How funny is that?

I also realized when I got pregnant that something that had been dormant came alive in me, (I guess the motherhood instinct) and it's still there, even though my sweet baby is not.

I think for you too, it will always be there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails