Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wondering Wednesdays Vol. 18: Baby Sleep






You want to know a sure-fire way to really confuse a first-time mom?

Give her reading material on how to get her baby to sleep well.

I’ve never really given much thought on the business of getting my 4 month old to sleep. Everyone always asks me “Does he sleep through the night yet?” Um, no. He is still getting up about every 2 hours to nurse. (Isn’t it obvious he doesn’t sleep all through the night? My hunka-hunka burnin’ love is 18 lbs! There aren’t enough daylight hours to keep him plumped up like that!)

I figured it wasn’t normal for Joe to finally settle down for the night between 11:00 p.m. and midnight. I just chalked it up to his temperament and/or maybe the fact that at his 6:00 a.m. feeding I would bring him into bed with me to nurse and we’d sleep in.

His late-night settling down was a topic I was going to bring up to his doctor. But then I got an email from BabyCenter.com with the subject line of “How much sleep does your baby need?” Ah ha- maybe this will give me some answers! When I clicked the link I was immediately flooded with guilt.

There was a large chart of different infant ages, how much day time sleep and nighttime sleep they need and the approximate number of naps they need to take. In the 3 month-old box the info stated that he should be getting around 5 hours of sleep during the day spread out in 3 naps. Well Joe gets some long naps, then he cat naps throughout the day. I never even really take the time to “time” how long his naps are. Even though the article stresses that every baby is an individual, I started getting a little worried that I was sleep depriving my baby.

I especially started getting worried when I read this: “Often, says BabyCenter sleep expert Jodi Mindell, author of Sleeping Through the Night, if a child has poor sleep habits or refuses to go to bed before 11 at night, his parents will think that he just doesn't need a lot of sleep. That's probably not true — in fact, it's likely that such a child is actually sleep-deprived.”

Then there was a list of questions to determine if your child is sleep deprived:

Does your child fall asleep almost every time he's in a car? Of course he does. I thought driving around was like chloroform for kids.

Do you have to wake your child almost every morning? Mmm… not really. There have been a few times I have had to.

Does your child seem cranky, irritable, or overtired during the day? Yes, just like his momma.

The next sentence stated, “If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these, your child may be getting less sleep than he needs.

D’OH!

I figured it was about time for me to really start to try harder in setting a sleep routine. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but I was bound and determined to stick with it.

The first night we took a bath at 7:00 p.m. I gave him a massage with baby lotion, then sat in the rocker with the lights dim and read him my all time favorite Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. I nursed him and rocked him and he drifted off to sleep. It was 8:00.

SUCCESS!

Sure, he still woke up numerous times to nurse but I was expecting that.

The following night was also a success. He had even taken 2 scheduled naps with me during the day. This wasn’t so bad.

Well, I’m sure you know where this story is going.

New Year’s Eve night was the third night of getting Joe to bed early. He went down around 8:30 with relatively no problems.

Then 10:00 rolled around and he started fussing. I walked in and instead of continued fussing he flashed a huge smile that said, “Let’s party!” He wasn’t ready to go to sleep anytime soon.

Long story short, he fought sleep so hard and after awhile his lovely grins became ear-splitting screams. This happened the following night as well.

So what do I do? I hit the books and websites for tips on how to deal with the problem. And, of course, this was a big mistake.

Everywhere I read there were subtle suggestions of the cry it out method. Don’t rock your baby to sleep. (I do that.) Don’t nurse your baby to sleep. (Guilty.) Don’t pick up your baby if he starts crying (Yup, guilty again.)

Everything in my very motherly being tells me to do these things. And it’s not only instinct, but I enjoy rocking him and watch him drift into a deep peaceful sleep. Sure, the first couple of weeks of being a new mom it was a drag to get out of my nice warm bed to nurse him, but now my body has adjusted to not getting a solid 4 hours of sleep and getting up multiple times in the night is second nature.

I remember at Joe’s 2 month well-child check I asked his pediatrician about his major fussiness. I was asking because it was nearly always after he ate so I thought it was a digestion problem. He immediately chalked it up to Joe being overtired. To “help” him sleep better I needed to not nurse him if he needs to be comforted (“You don’t want to turn into a human pacifier,” he says) and to let him cry it out so he can learn to sooth himself to sleep.

**Side note: Joe’s doc is an OK guy. He’s nice and has calmed some of my worries, but he gives me the heebie jeebies. I can’t put my finger on why he does, but he just creeps me out. It doesn’t help that he once wore the same sweater that Freddie Krueger wears. I kid you not. Reason #729 that we want to move.)**

I remember that night I tried the whole cry it out. I lasted ohhhhh…. About 11.7 seconds. I just couldn’t do it. His whimpers got louder. His whimpers turned into fussy noises, then the mad cries started and I swooped up my little boy in my arms to comfort him. It’s like this- you have an itch- you scratch it. You see your baby son crying- you pick him up. I can’t just sit there. I’ve heard of parents who stuff blankets in around the door to block out the sound or who go to other parts of the house to not hear the crying. You’d have to knock me out, tie me up and lock me in a closet a county away for me to not run to his aide.

But here is where I get confused. There are SOOOO many “how to get your baby to sleep to make your life easier and have your baby become a thriving contributor to society” tips. There are so many DO THIS OR ELSE reading materials out there that it gives me a headache. I have found my parenting groove with Dr. William Sears’ book “The Baby Book.” His natural, no-nonsense, attachment style of parenting fits in with my outlook of parenting. His section on getting baby to sleep was/is helpful, but I still have my doubts about myself.

Am I being too much of a helicopter parent? You know, that mother who hovers over her child, never letting him experience things on his own and to learn his own life lessons. Maybe I should wait a little longer to see if Joe will soothe himself to sleep. Maybe I should wait to walk into his room when he starts whimpering. All the cry it out proponents say that if you run to your baby at every cry they will become too reliant on you. He will basically learn that whenever he wants something, all he has to do is cry and mommy and daddy will get it for him.

Now, I don’t pick Joe up every time he cries. Usually I just hold his hand or pat his belly, or stick his paci back in and he drifts off to sleep. But as soon as those whimpers become something more, he’s in my arms.

Am I spoiling him? Suddenly, a vision of Joe pops into my head- he’s in a plush leather chair wearing a smoking jacket. He turns to me and says in a British accent, “Mother dear. Run on over the kitchen and fetch me a chilled glass of milk. Chop, chop.” He then turns back to his friends as they continue their conversation about yachts and caviar.

Am I setting him up for failure? Will my picking him up when he cries, rocking him to sleep, nursing him before bed parenting ways mean he won’t get accepted to college, he’ll live in my basement when he’s 36 and I’ll be cooking all his meals and trying to find him a nice girl to marry? Suddenly, a vision of Joe being like Chazz from the (horrible) movie Wedding Crashers comes to mind.



Basically what I’ve gathered from most baby help books is that if you don’t wash off baby food jars before you open them, if you don’t clean the baby’s spoon between jars, if you don’t show them pictures of black and white zing zag designs and if you use a sippy cup past their first birthday you are setting your child up for an epic fail in life.

Helping your baby learn and grow is essential. Helping them find their independence is important too, but he’s still a baby. He’s can’t be completely independent. He’s going to depend on me for years to come. Where do I find that balance of being a source of comfort for my son while letting him explore the world on his own?

As long as Joe doesn’t become an axe murder, I’ll be fine. (Y’all remember THAT freak out?)

10 comments:

Joy said...

First of all ~ hugs! Sleep is one of those touchy areas where everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks their way is best ~ gather information and then trust your instincts.

From my understanding Joe (and Liam) are hitting the age where more defined wake and sleep time happens but it is not exactly a switch that gets thrown. What has worked best of us is to rock or feed to nearly asleep or if asleep place in cradle in such a way that they kinda open their eyes. (I've been told that falling asleep one place and waking another contributes to shorter naps and difficulty settling from light sleep back into deep ~ made sense to me). Real self-soothing does not start till closer to 6 months so cry-it-out is just cruel (my opinion) at this age but what you described of first comforting without picking up sounds right by me.

And know that whatever routine you develop will occasionally go out the window as they get colds and teeth.
Hugs!

Colleen said...

Ha, I love reading your first time mom thoughts! We've all been there. In fact, even after having four, I still question most things I do...it's only because we want the best for our kids :)

I have a few tips to share that worked for me:

1) You can't spoil a baby. All they need is love and cuddles and food and a clean diaper. Doing any of these things is not spoiling - it's taking care of them.

2) I ALWAYS try to adjust my diet while breastfeeding if the baby seems fussy. I take inventory of what I am eating (anything spicy or gassy?) and then I eat dairy free. It's so hard, but babies have a hard time digesting cow's milk, so if the mom is eating dairy, it makes sense that the baby would have a hard time with it. I had to do this for 2 of my babies, and around 4 months they were ok with me eating dairy again.

3) We are big on sleep around here. I always nursed/bottle fed my babies to sleep while I rocked them. We never let our babies cry it out. I'm with you on that one. BUT, they always went to sleep in their own bassinet/crib. I did not want a baby in the bed to turn into a toddler in the bed, etc.

4) We didn't let the baby nap after 4pm. Of course, in the beginning, they are on a very sleepy schedule, so we didn't start this until they were taking regular naps on their own (maybe around 3 months?)

5) A dark room, a sound machine playing white noise, Swaddling, pacifiers, something that smells like mom in the crib, even laying them down on their belly once they can roll over, made sleeping nice for my kids.

Remember, you're going to go through so many phases (not sleeping, teething, not eating, sick) with each child, so don't get worked up about everything. "This too shall pass" :)

I think I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm sure I'll be asking you for advice when this baby comes along...it's been a while!

Shelly said...

I followed the advice the the Babywise books and so far all four of ours have been happy, good-sleeping babies. I feed mine as soon as they wake up. Then they have their awake time. And when they start acting sleepy I put them down for a nap without feeding them. Repeat the cycle. I do feed them right before they go down for the night just to kind of top them off.

I'm not a big scheduling person, I just follow their cues, but they generally fall into their own schedule.

And you tell Joe that he doesn't need to eat so often to stay plump! I have an almost 16 pound 2-month-old and he only nurses for about 5 minutes on one side every 3-4 hours and makes it for about 5-6 hours at night.

That Married Couple said...

Great topic Maggie! It seems like every single person is also asking us if Miriam is sleeping through the night yet, and she's less than a month old! Ridiculous!

I have no advice to give about balancing things out (I'm sure I'll need advice myself on that!), but I do have a related piece of advice: unsubscribe from the BabyCenter emails. Now off to follow my own advice...

Melissa said...

It is confusing isn't it!? I've found that none of my babies so far have slept through the night until at least 10 months old, and it's not even medically advisable to force them to go without food that long until they are 6 months old (unless of course they sleep the whole night on their own).

My 17 month old still wakes up once in a while at like 3 in the morning to nurse, usually if she had a light dinner.

Every baby is different, I've had babies that wanted to nurse for comfort, and one that only nursed for food. I've had 2 babies that napped pretty well during the day (although I don't think I remember any napping 3 times a day) and one who wouldn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time day or night unless she was on top of me or in the sling.

The biggest help for me was to drink water, sleep when the baby slept if possible, and yes, I rocked 2 of my babies to sleep and it was precious. You know what you like, you know what works for you and your baby. (Um, and all of my babies have slept when driving in the car.)

Also, I found that my babies would spit up and generally be more fussy if I nursed them more than every 2 hours. So if they woke up half an hour after I laid them down, I would try other things (patting, rocking) before just nursing again. Eventually the gaps between feedings get longer and they sleep a little longer at night.

Natalie said...

Aww... its true that every baby is different, but more importantly every FAMILY is different! Do what works for you & your DH and son.

We did cry-it-out but not until Jack was 6 months old... you can find my posts from that part of my life on my blog. It wasn't easy, but it did help us. He still ended up in bed with us to nurse, but he got some sleep in his own bed first & that's what we needed (Jack refused to sleep in his own bed at all for the first 6 months).

Just ME said...

Do what makes you feel best. YOU ARE HIS MOM. I had the same problem... WARNING.. We cosleep. My 5 year old AND 3 yearold twins sleep with hubby and I. Not ideal.We are trying to get them in their own beds. It is a bit easier on mommas feelings now than that STUPID cry it out method.

Anonymous said...

Love following your Blog and I'm no Doctor I'm just a mother of 4 that are all teenager and adult age. I nursed all my kids and all 4 of my kids "chose" when they would sleep through the night. My first born was the worst and took the longest. He was a cryer (I mean a screamer and cryer) from 7pm-9pm every single night. I did co-share a bed whenever my kids would wake up. They started out in a crib and we co-shared from first feeding on. Our other 3 children were early "all night sleepers" and "chose" on their own. I also co-shared a bed with all of them whenever they woke to eat.
You will know what works best for you. You have to have sleep to function day in and day out so do whatever you have to for both of you to sleep.
I will tell you my 20 year old son turned out to be a great kid and is in college and our 18 year old is about to graduate top of her class and head to college in the field of medicine. I think the younger 2 are going to be ok kids too.
All that being said, Your a great mommy. Sleep is very important for survival..!!! You can't worry what others say or think about YOUR parenting choices. Do whatever you think is right and best for your gorgeous son. Keep surrounding him with all the love and faith that you do now and he will be unstoppable in this world. HUGS. I promise before you know it he will be sleeping through the night and then you will blink again and he will be gone to college and your nights of looking over him in the crib are just gone. Its a bitter sweet feeling to know you did a great job as a parent but you will look back and miss every sleepless night. I would give anything to sit and rock and nurse my kids ONE more night!
Your are a fantastic mom and doing a fabulous job. Joseph is blessed to have parents like you.
God Bless

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job, Momma! Really. Joe will sleep through when it's time for him to sleep through. I like routine for my kids...but not everyone has to have routine early on (for us it's survival!)

You'll probably find (God-willing) that you will do things different with subsequent children. I know we are way more laid back about things now than with our first.

God bless!

Emily said...

First, don't worry so much. Every baby is different, just like every adult.

Other people and doctors can get us mothers all in a fluster so easily with things about our kids. When it just feels wrong, you have to not listen to it.

The "crying it out" thing makes me very very angry. I think it is horrible, and I could never do it. It is not even recommended by those who do like it, for children under 6 months anyway.

My daughter will be 2 next month. She coslept all night from birth to 10 months, and from 10-13 months gradually transitioned to her crib. It was easy and nonstressful. Our son (3 mos) sleeps with us. He wakes, at this point, only about twice a night to nurse, but she woke up every 2-4 hours until she was at least 5 months old. I've read that the the definition of 'sleep through the night' for a baby under 6 months only means 'sleep 5 consecutive hours.'' I nursed my daughter to sleep until she was about 10 months old, then we gradually began practicing learning to go down without it. It took a few months because sometimes I'd get tired of waiting for her to drop off and pull out a boob, a sure way to get her out within 5 minutes.

Bottom line is, do what feels right and works well for you. A lot of people don't approve of what we do with our babies for sleeping. But it works for us. We're all healthy and happy. What more can you ask for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails