Tuesday, December 28, 2010

DOG HAIR DOG HAIR EVERYWHERE!

I'm going crazy here, people.

We got our darling beagle Chandler in September of 2008. I knew then he had a major shedding problem. I was OK with it.

Then I had a baby and my OCD kicked in BIG TIME.

For some reason during the first couple of months of Joe's life the dog hair wasn't so bad. Sure I'd find an occasional dog hair on his outfit, but nothing major.

For the last couple of weeks I've been finding dog hair EVERYWHERE. On his changing table, in his bath tub, on his bouncer, on his bassinet sheets. It's maddening, I tell you!

I think the fact that my house is in ruins right now is adding to the stress. Not only do I have dog hair, but both Joe and Ryan are sick, so I have snot AND dog hair to deal with. Plus 4,398 piles of laundry, pacifiers and used Kleenex strewn on the floor (covered in dog hair, of course), Christmas presents to put away and organize and dishes to be put in the dishwasher. (Plus legs to be shaved and teeth to be brushed... but I digress...) UGH, looking down at my computer keyboard I count 4 pieces of dog hair. AAACKKK!!!!!!

I swear I vacuum but 2 hours later the place is covered again. We give Chandler baths, but not too many, because his skin dries out, then he itches, then it rains dog hair (which is I think how the dog hair ends up on high surfaces.) He doesn't sleep on our bed, but he does sleep on the couch.

I need advice- how do I quell the dog hair fiasco? Shave him? Cover him in duct tape? Or should I come to terms that I will never have a completely organized and clean house EVER again?!

*shudder*

1 comment:

Allison said...

Noooo do not shave a beagle. Never shave a short haired dog. It really messes up their hair and it would come back in weird. Not sure if you were serious, but people do do this and it's horrible.

One thing, give him baths, it helps take out the dead hair but use something like an oatmeal bath. It will help with the dry skin.

Secondly, what type of food is he on? Poor quality food means more shedding. Yes, you pay more per bag for the higher end stuff, but it will help. Nature's Recipe, Purina ProPlan, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Royal Canin, Nutro Ultra, are some of the better brands readily available.

Thirdly, do you ever brush him? A rubber zoom groom brush works well for beagle hair. It will get that coarse longer coat out. You can buy a Furminator too, that will help with the fluffy undercoat a bit. They're expensive but I bought mine on Ebay for around $15. But the zoom groom will help immensely. You can use those wet or dry.

Hope that helps, I've been working with dogs for over 4 years so I know some of what helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails