Friday, January 14, 2011

Losin' the Preggo Fat!

It. is. time.

It's time to get back in shape after having a baby! (Wait a minute... I was never in shape to begin with!)

I'd like to join Weight Watchers because the program was a great success for me when I wanted to lose weight for my wedding. Unfortunately the funds aren't there, so I'm starting to keep a food diary and making plans to start exercising.

Yesterday I wrote down everything I ate and figured how many calories I had consumed. It seemed like a lot, but it was actually in the high end of the normal range for a breastfeeding mother. (In other words, if I wasn't breastfeeding and eating this many calories, I'd be a blobby monster.) However, I need to replace some of the food I eat with healthier alternatives. I'm OK with that- I don't have to cut out calories, which is good for this gal who loooooves to eat!

Exercise... ugh. I know I'd be a lot happier with my body image if I just got off my duff and got active! It is so hard for me to get motivated. I feel like I never have time and/or energy. If I ever do get motivated then I usually lose dedication. Well, hopefully I can stick with it this time. I asked for suggestions on a good workout for post-baby, and many people suggested Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shread. To be honest, I don't like Jillian Michaels. I complained about her during my pregnancy. But so many people I know tell me how awesome her workout is. They also tell me how it can be very difficult. Will exercising a brutal workout to a woman I don't like work for me? I don't know. But I already bought the DVD (it was on sale!) and opened the packaging. I watched some of it to see what I was getting myself into. I'll admit I'm a tad bit afraid, but I'm not backing down from this challenge!

Weight-wise, I'm satisfied. I've been back to my pre-pregnancy weight for a long time now (thank you, breastfeeding!) I just have this flabby "apron" where my stomach used to be. And I was a little overweight before I got pregnant, so I want to go even lower than my pre-pregnancy weight!

I'm not concerned about what I look like. There are days I look down at my ankles and think, "Damn, those are sexy!" after what they looked like when I was pregnant. (They were NOT pretty.) I relish in the fact that I can see my knee caps again. I'm at peace with the stretch marks. I know I'm not ever going to wear a bikini. I don't want rock hard abs or buns of steel.

I want to be healthy.

I want to be the very best I can be for my husband, son and future children. I want to be able to run and jump and dance and be silly for years to come. I am blessed that my pregnancy was fairy easy until the very end, but I want to be even healthier for my next pregnancy. If I ever want to consider a VBAC I want to be in great shape.

I'm starting Jillian on Monday. I'll keep you updated! In the meantime, if any of you ladies out there have good tips for sticking with a exercise program or how to maintain a healthy lifestyle while busy with children, please, feel free to share!

8 comments:

That Married Couple said...

"I relish in the fact that I can see my knee caps again. I'm at peace with the stretch marks. I know I'm not ever going to wear a bikini. I don't want rock hard abs or buns of steel. I want to be healthy."

I think that's a great outlook! I don't have any tips (I'm looking for them myself), but I look forward to hearing a review of the workout video. It's so snowy here that I've gone days at a time without leaving the house lately, let alone getting out for a workout, so I think I might need to invest in a video as well!

Rae said...

Good for you! I have no tips, just cheering you on as you do your best to be healthy.

Patty said...

Go for it girl! I'll be cheering you on. Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

You can do it! Jillian's workout was not something I could get into. Also, did you know WW revamped their points system and now things with lots of carbs are higher points than they used to be? I know you said funds weren't there, but it might be worth it to join their facebook page and read up on the changes if you can...it might help?

Sarah said...

I know ww is somewhat pricey, but there is an online program that is similar. it's called spark people. I think it's free.

I don't like Jillian either, but if her workout works, then I guess it's worth it!

Joy said...

Lots of support and one funny tip ~ do push-ups (modified or full) giving Joe a kiss on the down, always gets Liam laughing.

Jamie said...

Maggie, I wish you luck at getting back in shape. I got back in shape pretty quickly after babies, but I never lost the last 5lbs until I finished breastfeeding. I guess our bodies need some fat.

When nursing, I was hungry all the time, so dieting would have been really hard. I think you have it right with getting more activity and some healthy food. Once you get some healthier food, you may feel more energetic and feel like exercising. And more exercise will make you feel more energetic as well. Once you start, you will definitely feel better.

What a cutie patootie. :)

Anonymous said...

no personal experience here, but my sister just had a baby last year and she LOVES jillian michaels. she said its hard and everything, but you just do what you can. also, if you have cable (or netflix?) she said she has a channel that has different workouts on it that she likes too, for variety. from what she said, you just have to make a commitment and do it during naptime. you can do it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails