Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Little Bit of Clarification

I have read posts where other bloggers have had to write a "clarification" post regarding something they had previously written about. So here is mine!

The last post I wrote about regarding the rude comments that mothers and fathers of many children get from time to time received many positive comments. I also received some comments on some situations that I had never really given much thought to. There was one comment accusing me of being just as judgemental as those who make rude comments because I didn't address the topic of adoption.

There were a couple comments made that it's not only those couples who have a lot of children who are judged, but also those couples who either don't have kids (yet) or only a few. Many times this happens in the Catholic community. I have made a couple comments regarding this on my post but perhaps people missed them. The first time I read about this happening, I was in shock. Again, where do people feel they can judge any family's size? I will repeat what I wrote in my last post:

Couples have many reasons for their family size. Fertility issues, finances, emotional problems, abuse, family crisis, you name it. God's will isn't for every family to have 8 kids. Some feel called to only have a couple children. I just have issues with those couples who choose to buy a new boat rather than be open to another child.

I want to add that I could have added hundreds of more reasons to the list above for limiting family size. Some couples may feel they are not called to have children at the present time. If a couple honestly feels in their heart that they are not ready to have children yet, then by no means should they feel obligated to start a family. Maybe they are only called to have one child.

Like I wrote above, God does not expect every family to have a bunch of kids. All God asks of us when we profess our marriage vows to each other is to be open to children and to be united to each other- when we have intercourse. Even though God asks us to be open to life he's not some tyrant who demands us to do things we aren't physically or emotionally capable of. (Remember- God is good and merciful!) God doesn't point down a ginormo finger from heaven and say- "YOU BETTER HAVE A BUNCH OF KIDS! I COMMAND YOU! I DON'T CARE IF YOU BARELY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE OR PAY YOUR WATER AND HEAT BILL, I AM EXPECTING 12 KIDS FROM YOU. I DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION OR A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT WILL BE DETRIMENTAL TO RAISING A FAMILY YOU BETTER BE HAVING INTERCOURSE EVERY MONTH DURING YOUR MOST FERTILE TIME SO YOU WILL MOST LIKELY GET PREGNANT."

The issue I have is if that couple doesn't want to have children because they want to pay off their entire debt, buy a big house, buy a brand new car, travel the world, establish their career, preserve their physically fit bodies, basically anything that puts their own comfort, pleasure, and wants before the good of their spouse and future children. But I still can't judge because I don't know if that couple has no children or only 2 because of miscarriage after miscarriage or because they'd rather landscape their back yard. There are just reasons for postponing a family. But it is very important to involve God in this decision rather than your check book or desire for a hot tub.

The reason I didn't address the topic of those couples getting judged for only having a few kids is because I have no experience with it besides reading it in a blog. All around me it is the norm to have only a few children and no one has issue with it. I have never been around people who say, "Oh, but you should have one more." But if you have those three children close together or add that fourth, then people think you are going overboard. That's where I've experienced the rude comments.

My apologies to those people who read my post that were upset or offended that I didn't include those families who get criticised for having a small family or for not having kids. I understand there are couples out there who dream of a big family but are having financial or fertility problems that prevent this. My heart breaks for them and I always pray to St. Gerard and St. Gianna for those families who dream of having children. I know first hand how it feels to lose a child. And perhaps God's plan for me is to only have one child. Who knows. And those couples who don't suffer from infertility but who don't have children yet, I do not judge at all, because I don't know what God's will is for you! That's why no one should judge ANYONE! Again, my apologies, I'm just not used to people getting judged for small families.

There was one comment wondering why I didn't address the topic of adoption. Honestly, I didn't have time to address every topic regarding family size. But to clarify- I believe adoption is a holy and good thing and I didn't mean to brush it aside like I looked down on it. If a couple honestly follows their conscience and feels God is calling them to adopt rather than bear their own children, then that is between them and God. Following God's will is always the best thing. The only problem I had with the commenter is they mentioned "an already overpopulated planet." I do not buy into the overpopulation myth at all. I don't believe that a couple should adopt because they don't want to add an extra child to the earth's population. I'm not going to get into that debate, but like I said, if a couple is confident they are following God's will in adopting rather than getting pregnant themselves then I have no room to say anything.

The reason I wrote this post is because I have experienced first-hand negative comments for my husband's and my desire to have a big family and WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A CHILD WE CAN HOLD IN OUR ARMS YET. There are super loving, sweet and very holy women that write amazing blogs and they write about the negative comments they get regarding their family and I just want to reach out and defend them. I don't know these women personally, but they are still my sisters in Christ and no one should feel bad for following God's will.

I probably caused more confusion that clarification! But that's all I gotta say about that!

8 comments:

Patty said...

Maggie~You need no clarification. This is a very emotional topic for families and in many ways.

Addressing the anonymous writer:
I am from a very large family..I have dealt with infertility (lost a child in second trimester)..I have adopted. I take no offense to what Maggie's post was about and I do understand your pain in writing your resonpse.

Yes, there are many ways to branch off with further discusions, but Maggie was speaking about that ONE topic only.

As for being human and sinning...prior to my difficulty with conceiving and carrying, I use to judge people who had no children or 1.7 children ALL the time. And then I realized what a terrible mistake that was.

But what a wonderful thing it is to turn something negative into a positive. Only grace can help you do such a thing.

And from the adoption world...you cannot believe the comments people come up with. But, you learn to deal with those.

The main point in all of this...What your children (biological or adopted) hear from you and your response to the silliest and/meanest questions is the ONLY thing that matters.

patty said...

...sorry about my terrible punctuation!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! As someone who has (1) lost a child and (2) struggled with fertility, I wasn't offended at all by your post.

Rebecca said...

I think the bottom line is that we all need to be understanding of what one another does. It is not our place to judge one way or the other (as you so eloquently stated). It seems no matter what we do, there is someone to tell us it's wrong and why it's wrong.

And as someone who has discerned it is not yet in God's plan for us to have children, I wasn't offended at all by your post.

BlessedMom said...

Can I just say that I love you!!!???!! I'm praising God for finding your blog. You're saying so much of what's be in my heart for so long but haven't found a way to say out loud. Thank you for being a voice for NFP'ers everywhere.

Rae said...

Great clarification. :-) I am sometimes a bit amused when I read certain comments and am quite confident that the person must not have read the post (like when they "share" a link that I posted!).

That said, I don't think that you really *had* to clarify, because your last post wasn't offensive at all, and it isn't reasonable to try to cover everything in one post.

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie,
We adopt, not because of overpopulation, but because our family is underpopulated :). Sometimes we have the exact opposite problem, where people make us out to be saints or put us on pedestals. The fact is that we are just doing what comes naturally - being parents.

alison said...

ugh, just wrote a huge comment that blogger ate, but short follow-up: didn't mean to upset you with my comment, its just that as a couple who is wanting and trying yet unable to grow our family at this point, i often wonder if people see our life and think, "geez, they have a house, spend so much time on their education, travel, and now they're moving abroad? they should just have kids already!" when in reality we do these things to bide time. [actually, i know people think this because i've had those who don't know of our struggles tell me so.] anyway, i just wanted to share that perspect because people don't often think like that, at least i know i was much quicker to judge before i was in this position myself. but i do agree that the cost of having a child is often overestimated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails