Friday, May 17, 2013

Quick Takes Friday "The A Edition"


I actually have stuff to write about this week! Huzzah!

1.
Yesterday my final grades for my two classes were posted.

I got As, baby!!!

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I got As in college (well, my third college.... DEFINITELY not at the first two I attended!) but I'm so proud of these As because I worked my butt off. And it was NOT easy with two children.

Trying to study #1

Trying to study #2

Trying to study #3
I may have done a fist-pumping, booty-shaking victory dance that frightened my children, but hey, I'm happy!

2.
Another bright little gem of my week? My Mother's Day present came in the mail on Monday!


There is one girl in my chemistry class who you can tell is.... eh... let's just say... you can tell she isn't a fan of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. She saw my phone and was like "Ohmygawd, what's on your phone?" I told her it was from Doctor Who. She looked confused. I told her it was a time machine/space craft. I could see the confusion and disinterest flooding over her face. I felt like a complete nerd... it was awesome!

3.
Ryan decided it was his turn to pick a TV show to watch since we are all caught up with Doctor Who. He picked The Walking Dead, which doesn't surprise me because he loves zombie stuff. A lot of my friends love it, so I was really interested in seeing what it's all about.


So far I'm really liking it. There are a few times I think it's super depressing and hopeless and I'm sure all my favorite characters will die like in Game of Thrones. But there is a lot of wonderful conversation about the value of human life, the existence of God, the value of redemption and hope, and just how screwed up people can get in a fight or flight mentality.

But oh my stars... is there A LOT of blood and gore. Many times I have to turn my head away... bleck. Sometimes there is SO much blood and gore that it's just ridiculously fake (I know it's all fake, but seriously, some of it is just redonkulous.) We are almost half way through season 2 on Netflix. I hope they get season 3 on there soon!

4.
Sigh... we have a bit of a potty mouth in our midst. Joe frequently says, "Damn it!" when he's frustrated. It's totally Ryan's and my fault, and you can save all your scolding, because I already feel horrible! We've redirected him to say "Aww, man!" when he's frustrated. It works most of the time....

5.
Since we aren't around other kids a lot of the time I'm not sure if Joe's speech is on target. I read a couple months ago where they should be putting sentences together, and Joe doesn't do that a whole lot (besides cussing...) He does put words together, but it's hard to understand sometimes. However, his very first clear as day three-word sentence came out recently. It has been a little on the warm side this past week and I refuse to turn on the air conditioners. We usually close Joe's door for bedtime, but this week we've been keeping it open after he falls asleep because it gets so darn hot in there. Well now when he wakes up he yells clear as day "CLOSE THE DOOR!" I'm waiting for the day he says that when he's a teenager...

6. 
So I survived my first couch to 5K workout. I didn't die, I didn't quit and I didn't have Ryan come pick me up. I really have no idea how I will get past week 1, but I'm sure it can be done. I have a lot of encouraging friends!

7.
Do y'all know I've been cloth diapering for that past couple of months? I have a post planned on my CD adventures.... I hope to get around to it soon! :-)

Have a great weekend! Go to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All kids are so different with talking/speech. Dani actually talked really early (sentences at 9 mo) and as a result needed speech therapy because she communicated words where you mouth muscles weren't really ready to say them and by age 3, I realized the only people who could understand her were Sarah, Craig and me. Thankfully, we got a discount because having tonsils/adenoids out is a contributing factor to needing speech therapy (due to the effect on hearing and such).

Joy said...

Congratulations on the A's!!!
I'm not into Dr Who but I know that it is!!!!!

congrats on surviving your first run.

Joy said...

that should read *what it is*

Hevel said...

Aw, you posted pretty much my number 1 reason why I'd ever consider getting an iPhone. :D

Congrats on your grades! It is not easy to study with two little kids!

Hannah said...

I can't handle the nightmares I got after watching The Walking Dead but I needed to satiate my morbid curiosity so now I just read super detailed episode synopses haha. Love Game of Thrones! I've read all of the books and recently got my husband to watch seasons 1 & 2. I find the parts that need skipping and the rest is fine :)

Unknown said...

Congrats!

I love Doctor Who!

And about your son's speech, all kids develop differently. My mother-in-law is scared because my one-year-old isn't crawling or walking yet. When I ask experts about it, they all tell me not to worry.

This is one of the main reasons why I don't read any of the parenting books. I know if I did, I would be overanalyzing everything my son and I did.

Catholic Mutt said...

Congrats on your A's! And on your running! Definitely two very good things to celebrate. No worries about week 2. Just take it one day at a time. You'll do great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails