Friday, December 14, 2012

Hug Your Babies


I opened up Blogger to start a post to take part in the fun-natured 7 Quick Takes Friday.

But then I saw the news.

The horrific, unimaginable news that a shooter opened fire in an ELEMENTARY school, shooting and killing 27 people, mostly children. (That is the count as of now.)

WHY?

You'll have to forgive me. This will probably be a bunch of word vomit. I wanted to take an hour or so to let it sink in before I wrote about this tragedy, but I just can't wait. I don't think this tragedy WILL EVER sink in. The killing of innocent children? How can you wrap your head around that?

This isn't some emo, punk-ass kid who was bullied going into his high school and shooting up people. This person came into A FREAKING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. A school with Elmo stocking hats and Barbie doll backpacks.

Those poor, poor babies.... those poor innocent children! Too young to get pimples... too young to have first dates... too young to die so violently.

Those poor children who witnessed their friends being killed. Those poor children who were calmly ushered out wondering what was going on, why their lesson stopped so suddenly, why they were surrounded  by so much chaos. The only thing to hold on to was the hand of their buddy. Their childhood is over. I pray they still hold on to the last amount of innocence and whimsy... that the magic of their childhood wasn't killed as well.

Those poor mothers and fathers. My heart breaks for them. I can't imagine how it must have felt to rush to the fire house praying so fiercely, screaming and crying and begging to God that thier child was safe. Not knowing would be torture.

I can't imagine the overwhelming feeling of gratitude and happiness at seeing your child run up to you. The light feeling of relief flooding over your body. To be able to hold them, kiss them, breathe in their sweet scent. To hear their voice, to dry their tears, to hold their small hands in your own.

I can't imagine... I cannot imagine, the feeling of getting the news that your child was a victim. The feeling of your life crumbling before you. The gut wrenching feeling that your precious child was ripped out of your life, that you would never hear their voice or their laugh or see them throw a baseball or tie their shoe. To go home to your Christmas tree and see the presents neatly wrapped... that your child will never get to open. I can't imagine having to explain to your other children that their brother or sister isn't coming home.

I can't imagine having to bury your child around Christmas. The heartbreak I feel cannot be measured against the heartbreak of the people of Newtown, Connecticut.

WHY did this shooter have to kill so many before taking his own life? WHY?

So much evil... and sickness in this person.(Now the news is reporting it was a 24 year-old man whose mother was a teacher there... he also killed her.)

WHAT is wrong with this world? So many shootings, so recently. Aurora, Oregon... now Connecticut. So many senseless deaths.

I hate that I don't feel safe. I hate that I fear for my sons. I hate it that this world is so full of darkness and evil. I pray so hard that people see Christ breaking through this darkness.

Pray. Pray for the children. Pray for the teachers and staff. Pray for the parents. Pray for the families. Pray for the community.

Pray for our nation.

Appreciate your children. Love your children. Remember they are gifts from God.

Live your life as if it was your last day. That doesn't mean go all motivational poster and go skydiving or cross items off your bucket list. Instead: love. Not just those that are easy to love... love the annoying neighbor, the guy who cut you off in traffic, the politician you are convinced is out to ruin the world. Cherish- cherish your family and friends. Cherish the blessings God has given you. Cherish the crosses he gives you as well. Aim for heaven. Aim for God.

Joe is tucked away safely taking a nap. Soon he will wake up and call my name. I will hug him and hold him and send up a prayer to God thanking him for my special blessings. He has been whiny and clingy due to a cold and getting his molars in... but suddenly, to me, that is the greatest gift.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I cried through your whole post.. as I have been this morning every time I stop to think about what happened. So horrible..it just doesn't make any sense.

Leanne@lifehappenswhen said...

Horrible, horrible, horrible. My heart is broken. WHO DOES THIS? Seriously? What kind of messed up person does this??

Ugh. Just horrible.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had the strength to write this post because I sure could not, but we all need to read what you wrote to remind ourselves that life is such a precious gift. I cannot imagine burying a child and during Christmas no less.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails