Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Dread Lent


Every year it happens. About a week before Ash Wednesday the stirrings of "What am I going to give up for Lent?" begin on Facebook. Then, on Mardi Gras, Facebook explodes with profile pictures of "Off Facebook for Lent" and "Goodbye chocolate!" statuses. Not just from Catholics- there are a lot of our Protestant brothers and sisters who give up something for Lent as well. I always thought Lent was a Catholic thang.

Then come the statuses from my friends who are destined to be saints. "Yay Lent!"

To that I want to say, "Are you crazy?!"

I wish I could be like my friends and look to Lent with joy and anticipation. It is a time the Church gave us to grow in holiness and to grow closer to Christ. We should always be doing that, but, Mother knows best- she knows our weaknesses and knows we need a massive spiritual boost oooh... about twice a year.

But what do I see? Lent = dread.

NO MEAT ON FRIDAYS. I am a meat girl. For realz. The only time I ever considered being a vegetarian was when I learned that Jonathan Taylor Thomas was a vegetarian and if I was going to ever marry him I better get used to not eating meat.

Oh, JTT. Don't judge me, people.

That lasted about 43 minutes.

I LOVE my meat. Mmm- MMMM! I eat it everyday. It is so tender. It is so juicy and delicious... Wow. I seriously just zoned out for about 1 minute thinking about meat. I better stop writing about it.

Needless to say, it is hard for me to give up meat. Ironically when I was a student at Benedictine I gave up meat FOR ALL OF LENT. I was much holier then. Not sure what happened to me. I know there are plenty of other things to eat besides meat, but I'm picky. I'm not a big fish fan (except for Long John Silver's fish and fish sticks, but I'm usually laughed at when I say this is the only fish I like.) And those crappy vegetarian meals just don't cut it for me.

I HATE fasting. I love to eat. Snacking is my downfall. I'm not sure if I would have survived back in the day where you couldn't eat anything ALL DAY. That's why old people are holier than us young heathens.

So that's the two major things that bum me out during Lent. But then there are the boring churches. No decorations. Sometimes the statues are covered up. Yes, yes, before you start in- I know all that external stuff is just extra stuff to aid in worship, and half the time I don't even notice it. But when Lent rolls around the difference just stands out to me. Everything is so blah. I feel spiritually blah. The weather outside is blah, no flowers, no color... Lent is just blah. So when the sanctuary is blah, and there is no Gloria or Alleluia sung I feel... lackluster.

Then there is that whole penance thing. Lent is about penance. As a prideful, sinful person, penance is hard. As a person who wants everything to be easy, penance is REALLY hard. I know that I need it, but it's like exercising. I know I need to do it, it's good for you, helps you out in the long run, but I'm lazy. Simple as that.

When I see my friends' Facebook statuses that read "Yay Lent!" or "I love Lent!" I just scratch my head. Is Lent really to be enjoyed? Denying oneself is not easy. But then I remember the Bible verse:

"Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. ... But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face." -Matthew 6:16-17

I know my friends know that Lent isn't all sunshine and unicorn glitter. They know it will be hard. Their mouth will salivate when they smell their neighbors grilling steaks on a Friday night. But they have anointed their heads and washed their face. They put on the face of joy and not complaining. That's why they will go to heaven right away and I'll burn in the purifying fires of Purgatory for 900 million years.

Maybe I get so pissy and bitter because I always hope that I'll have some spiritual Renaissance happen to me. I'll finally battle through this spiritual darkness that I've struggled with for the past couple of years. But in the end it is still the same. Nothing has changed. That is just something I will have to work on and pray through.

Why do I even bother doing all this jazz during Lent? As much as I complain I do follow the standards. So why?

Because I love Jesus and I love the Catholic Church. Jesus was tortured, mocked, humiliated, stripped, spat upon, beaten, had huge thorns pierced into his scalp, screamed at by hundreds, had nails driven through his wrists and feet and hung on a cross to die. He didn't die by bleeding to death. He died by slowing suffocating. All this for hours upon hours. As he sees his closest friends abandoning him. As he sees the people who just days before welcomed him into the city as a king now cursing at him and laughing at him.

All this for me. For you.

So of COURSE I can give up meat and gorging myself all day. I really need to stop complaining. All these things we do reminds us of Jesus. These actions remind us that it isn't just food that nourishes us. It is God. Going without food reminds us of the hungry- that we must care for all God's children. Giving up meat and sweets or caffeine reminds us of sacrifice. It helps us to remember the ultimate sacrifice that Christ made for us.

The Church wants what is best for us. That is why she has these guidelines. They are to help us, not hurt us. Why not take advantage of the gifts the Church has given us to grow closer in our relationship with God?

Lent is kind of like our time here on earth. It can be drab and dark. But there is good and growing in it as well. Our time on earth is leading up to our final home in heaven, just as Lent leads up to the glory of Easter. The days get longer, full of sunshine, the flowers begin to bloom, the grass pokes through the barren, cold soil and there is glory and life. Easter comes and in the blah sanctuary is an explosion of pure white lilies, the statues are uncovered to show the holy men and women of heaven and we can finally sing alleluia.

Lent is good. I just need to stop acting all Adam and Eve-ish with that pesky Original Sin and start looking to Jesus.

Praying that you all have a very blessed Lent!

7 comments:

Calah said...

Ohmigosh, JTT! Be still my beating heart. From the Home Improvement days, nonetheless. I could have given up meat for him too, for 43 minutes. What a cutie. Although for Devon Sawa I probably could have lasted 2 whole days.

I feel ya. I hate Lent. HATE it. And I'm one of those really bad perpetually pregnant/and/or/nursing mothers who's like, "what? I don't have to fast. This entire chocolate cake is necessary for the nourishment of my eighteen-month-old who nurses twice a day." So then I get Lent, plus guilt. Yay me.

I'll pray for you, and you pray for me. And maybe try shrimp instead of fish? The Ogre hates fish but he loves Shrimp Scampi, so we eat that...every Friday during Lent.

Anonymous said...

I think when I am happy for lent it is because I know I need some purifying....so that means I am always ready for lent, lol.

Catholic Mutt said...

I love your honesty! I am one of those people that does love it. I feel the pinch, and I'm not a fan of that, but I love the way that the drabness of Lent highlights the good things. Although, I can't say that I'm doing a very good job of Lent as we make it less than 24 hours in!

Joy said...

I fall in the middle; I don't dread but I don't love either. Like vegetables I know it is really good for me and I even enjoy certain aspects, but mostly I try to observe a good Lent because how wonderful Trid & Easter feels when I do.

Katie@NFP and Me said...

I'm with you, Lent is blah to me. Mostly because I'm not nearly holy enough to thoroughly appreciate it. I just sit and complain about all the things I can't have.

Ditto the fasting though. I told Steven I'd rather give up something for 80 days then fast at all. Blah...

Amy said...

I don't hate Lent, but I am complete rubbish at giving things up. Everything I think of to give up is either too easy or I convince myself it is vital to my life and therefore completely unfeasible to try and give it up ("I have such a stressful life [running after a toddler all day?], I need to eat chocolate and cakes all day long!")
Also, I totally laughed at Calah's comment re pregnancy/breastfeeding, because that is me. Or I do pretty well at fasting until after dinner, when I just want to eat constantly till bedtime.
I try to add lots of prayer and stuff instead of giving things up, but I feel like it is a bit of a cop out, like I should be doing both.

Holly said...

Nope, Lent is not just for the Catholics! Methodist also participate in Lent as well as the Lutherans and the Episcopals. Since Catholicism was the original Christian faith a lot of us have the same traditions. The baptist do not participate, my friend told me the other day that she just found out about Ash Wednesday and Lent last year (she's 24). I was like "WHAT?!" I had know idea they didn't partake. I was going to give up facebook, but decided against it and gave up unnecessary dining out. I'm not sure if the Methodist go along with the whole no meat on Friday thing. I was never told to do that part so I have always thought it was just a part of the Catholic tradition but I do love a good fish fry! That is part of the reason I get excited for lent -fish fish everywhere!!!

Love your blog post Maggie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails