Wednesday, February 15, 2012

At a loss...

I'm super pissed.

I'm super hormonal.

I'll probably regret this post later on.

I'm just asking for some prayers.

I've been thinking about attempting a VBAC since, oh, pretty much from one hour after I had my c-section. I've prayed. I've researched. I want that experience, but I'm not militant about it. If I have to have a c-section then I am OK with that, but I want at least the opportunity to try a trial of labor.

I scheduled an appointment soon after I found out I was pregnant. It was to a very Catholic, very pro-life doctor. I know many people who have gone to him and love him. I was under the impression he did do VBAC's. I found out later that was incorrect. Thankfully a friend pointed me to another good Catholic NFP doctor who DOES do VBACs. I scheduled an appointment with him.

When I met him I felt instantly at ease. He said he didn't see a problem with VBAC, except his only concern was how big Joe was and he was born 2 weeks early. He said if Joe had been a pound lighter he would highly encourage me to attempt a VBAC. He and I were both on the same page in that we'd play it by ear. He said, "We'll leave it in God's hands" which really impressed me. I also mentioned my fears of having multiple c-sections because I would like a handful of kids and I always read that multiple c-sections are dangerous. He said he had just delivered a woman's 8th child and all were c-sections, so it can be done. He gave me comfort and peace. I was feeling awesome!

A few weeks later we got the pre-payment bill for the OB office. I was dumbstruck. It was huge and it didn't even cover everything. My husband's insurance when I was pregnant with Joe was stellar because we barely paid anything. This was just the OB office... God only knows how much it would be for the hospital.

My mind was racing with what to do. There is assistance we could apply for through the hospital. Or, there is always Medicaid for Pregnant Women. I would probably qualify. But when I called my OB office they said they do not take Medicaid.

For the past few weeks I've been struggling to figure out what I want to do. I think we can pay the OB bill with our tax return, and maybe the hospital assistance program will help us out. But then I think about our financial situation and I despair. I was referred to another doctor who does take Missouri Medicaid and does do VBACs.(My doctor is in Kansas.) But I really really really really really want to stay with this doctor. But will it be worth it financially?

I prayed and prayed and prayed. Last week I had an appointment with my doctor. I was wanting to ask him his opinion of the doctor they referred me to. I was ready to give up. I told him it was very important to me to have a Catholic doctor and he stopped me before I could say anything else. He said he would do everything in his power to take care of me and we would work it out. I asked him about Medicaid. He said even though the office said they wouldn't take it, he would... until I mentioned it would be Missouri Medicaid. He honestly did not know if he would be able to take it. He asked me to find out if any Missouri Medicaid would be accepted in Kansas. He said we would get it figured out.

As soon as we left the office we went to a Division of Family Services office and asked them if Missouri Medicaid was accepted in Kansas. They said yes, it was, based on the doctor's discretion. So I called back to the insurance lady at the OB office and told them this. She said she would talk to my doctor and get back with me.

I've been waiting for a week to find out. I just got the call an hour ago saying that they will not take Missouri Medicaid.

I am at a complete loss at what to do. Do I just go to this doctor they referred me to, who I have never met, since they do take Missouri Medicaid? Do I suck it up and pay the OB bill hoping that we get assistance through the hospital so I can stay with a doctor I feel comfortable with? Do I try and find another doctor all together?

I'm so pissed and confused. I hate my c-section even more because it narrows down my choices. I feel like a freaking loser who has to depend on assistance. I feel like once I hit the post button that people will nod their heads and say, "Yup, yup...See, you gotta plan these things out before you get knocked up."

I'm clueless. I need to figure out something. I'll be 17 weeks this Friday. I don't feel any joy in this pregnancy. I'm anxious because of pre-e, VBAC/c-section, bills, doctors...

Please pray for us to make a good decision because I just have no more words anymore.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

I can't really give any advice but I can ask a couple questions that might help... would the money you are saving by switching doctors and using Medicaid be worth not having your dream doc? I'm asking because if the money you'd spend on the Catholic doc is going to put you guys behind for years or something, then you have to weigh the pros and cons. If it's going to put you behind financially for just a few months, that's another thing to think about. You have my prayers for sure.

Mandi Richards said...

You didn't really say this, but do you have no insurance at all or do you just have bad insurance? I've had some insurance troubles with my pregnancy and since, so I might have some suggestions for you if you do have insurance to try to get them to pay more. If you don't have any, I would probably advise that you switch doctors. The average price of a hospital delivery is about $8000 if I'm remembering correctly (for a vaginal birth without epidural), more if you end up having a c-section. I will be praying for you.

jdancer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catholic Mutt said...

Insurance is one huge pain in the arse! As a healthcare provider, it seems like it can be both the thing that allows me to see a patient and the thing that keeps me from seeing a patient. I just want to be able to help whoever needs help! I am at a loss and can't tell you what would be best, but I will pray for you, friend!

Neen said...

It will work itself out. I promise it will. God does take care of these details. Does that mean you get what you want? Not at all, but a year from now you will look back and see God's hand. In the times I am the most lost, I can always see later that is when he most guided me. I will pray for you.

That Married Couple said...

No advice and no judgment, but I will pray for you, friend.

Michelle said...

I can imagine how much stress you're feeling! I went thru a very stressful situation w/my ob during my last pregnancy too. The whole pregnancy had much to be stressed about. I did my very best to trust God. I prayed the whole time to the Blessed Mother and St Catherine of Siena for their prayers too. After all was said and done, it all worked out beautifully! I could look back on the entire pregnancy and all the stressful situations and I could clearly see God directing and guiding everything! It was nothing less than miraculous! Pray and trust Him as much as you can because He absolutely won't let you down! God bless you!

Jen O'Shea said...

Maggie-
I just came across your blog not too long ago when reading another BC alum's blog! Congrats on your baby! I know which doctors you were talking about it your post, and I've heard excellent things about both of them. My OB is Dr. Joan Schieber and she delivers at St. Luke's on the Plaza (in Missouri!). I would highly recommend her and St. Luke's, although you'd have to double check on the VBAC/ Medicaid (although I'm pretty sure they take Medicaid). She's Catholic, although not incredibly knowledgeable on NFP, she respects my choices and has never pressured me or brought up birth control again. I would maybe recommend considering her or another OB, and then you could always go to Herrick as your primary care doctor, and he could guide you with NFP in the respect. Just my two cents, I know how stressful it can be- you'll be in my prayers!

Gardenia said...

I just found your blog tonight, through Patty at Reasons for Chocolate. Having only one child, through adoption, I don't have any advice, but I will pray for you. I too believe that Our Lord will hold you in the palm of his hand through this difficult decision making. God bless you.

Shelly said...

I would just meet with a few doctors that do accept the Medicaid and pick the best one. Just talk through all your concerns and pick the one most willing to meet your needs. I just always try to go the route that will save the most money. We have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck. Our first few kids were born on Medicaid. Then my husband scored a job with insurance, but now I have to worry about covering deductibles and what we'll owe the hospital and doctor's office in addition to that. Well that's my two cents. Try not to stress too much!!

Beth Anne @ Beth Anne's Best said...

Ugh I know the feeling I am so sick of having money problems :( I haven't had health insurance in over 5 years and it really sucks! People tell me to get medicaid which I'd probably qualify for but when you go to the doctor u still have to pay something and with no income coming in I have nothing. Ugh why can't we just pay with lollipops or barter haha

happymomonline said...

I can understand your desire to have a Catholic NFP doctor. While my doc is Catholic, he prescribes birth control and is not knowledgeable in the science or theology behind NFP. It used to bum me out that I couldn't find a doc who embraces life and rejects birth control/sterilization, but now I look at it as a challenge. Perhaps God has me here to witness to this man. We are expecting baby #7 any day now and I am seeing him on a weekly basis. I am having opportunities to share with him my trust in the Lord and my resolve to let HIM lead our family.

Money issues stink...agreed! But, try to let go and trust where God leads you. Praying for you!

Unknown said...

That sounds really rough and stressful. I'll be praying that somehow or another it will all work out.

Anonymous said...

Maggie,
We were in a similar situation when I was pregnant with John-Paul (not the VBAC issue...just we had NO insurance). I was terrified, and I understand your frustration. I just want to say two things: 1) Never feel bad for taking any kind of assistance you need. That's what it's there for. We've been on WIC, state healthcare assistance and even food stamps in the past. That's why these programs exist, for people who work hard but are in need at the moment. It's a huge hit to your pride, but really, pride is a vice anyway, so it will help you grow in holiness :) 2) Although I understand your desire to go to a Catholic doctor (I LOVE my Catholic midwife) I think you need to do what is financially responsible right now. After having gone through 5 labors, I know that the nurses are just as important as the doctors, and just pray that you will get great nurses. I am praying for you, and hop you can find peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails