Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Love for Harry Potter


My awesome Neville shirt that is way too small for me now!

The lovely Sarah at Fumbling Toward Grace shared her story of how she came to know and love the Harry Potter series, so I thought I'd share my story too.

I was a late bloomer when it came to getting into the HP series. The first book came out in 1997 and I didn't get into them until 2006. I remember hearing about all the hype about how this series was getting children to read again. I also read about how many groups were boycotting these books because they promoted witchcraft and the dark arts. The movies came out and there was even more hype, but I just wasn't into it. None of my close friends were into the series. I don't remember my mom reading them. My brother told me that he and his wife were reading the series to their oldest daughter. I thought that was pretty cool, but still, my interest was not piqued.

I was working at Wal-Mart in the summer of 2005 when Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came out. We got a huge shipment in and people were lining up at the customer service desk with their pre-order forms. I remember when we sold out and someone asked if we had anymore. They asked for "The Half-Blood Prince book" and I had no clue what they were talking about. Some of my co-workers were talking about reading the book. I was beginning to think they were kind of crazy!

In the summer of 2006 I babysat my brother's kids. By this time, my brother's oldest had read all the HP books herself and had all the movies. She was still interested in Harry Potter and so I started asking basic questions. She tried to explain, but my little un-experienced Harry Potter mind wasn't getting it, so we popped in the first movie.

I LOVED it. Such a great story! So full of imagination! So of course we proceeded to watch the next three films. I was itching to read the books, and thankfully she had them all. I read 1-6 in about a week and a half. There was one time I borrowed the 3rd book thinking it would take me all weekend to read it. I finished it on a Friday night and went to the county library the next day to get the 4th one! I couldn't wait a few days!

My nose was in a HP book so much that my nephew stated that I loved Harry Potter more than him!

I was officially a Harry Potter geek. To my delight, one of my roommates for the following school year had also discovered Harry Potter the same time I did. We had long discussions about Harry Potter and what mysteries were to be revealed in the last book. What were the horcruxes? Was Snape truly evil? There were time we'd get on The Leaky Cauldron or MuggleNet and yell across the room- "There's a new trailer!" or "JK Rowling has a new interview!" Our other roommate probably thought were were nuts.

I remember being excited about the 5th movie coming out. It was the first one I had seen in theaters. I was thoroughly disappointed. It wasn't like the book at all! I knew most movies were like this, but this was just bad. However, that same summer the 7th and final book came out. I was so excited! One of my housemates was getting married the night it was to be released. As Ryan and I drove across Iowa after the wedding we stopped in some podunk Iowa Wal-Mart. I figured there would be a line, but we walked in, got a book and walked back out without waiting at all.

I holed myself up in my room to finish the last book. I did not get on the internet for fear that people would post spoilers. I read it very quickly. As I was getting to the last few chapters I wanted to savor it because there would be no more Harry Potter books to enjoy after this.

The ending did not disappoint. I thought it was perfect. I was sad it was all over, but happy at the outcome. Since then I've read the whole series two more times. One time was while I was pregnant. My reasons for loving this series are pretty much the same as Sarah's, so check out her post!

Since then 2 more movies have come out. The 6th one- The Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book and I was pretty much seething after the movie because they left out so many awesome parts. The first part of the 7th film was pretty good. I am REALLY looking forward to this final film.

It's gonna be epic!

How about the rest of you? Any more Potter-heads out there?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Harry Potter! I love the books I should say. There's just too much stuff in them to be able to make good movies. But I haven't seen the first part of Deathly Hollows yet...I was thinking when all the movies were out, maybe we'd buy the set and have them. My oldest and I read the first two books last year and I thought that was enough for her and we've not picked them back up yet. But she recently asked about reading the third one and getting back into them...and of course, she was watching the HP Marathon on TV this weekend! LOL

Joy said...

My husband got me into them in 2000, so I read the first three all together ~ have read all seven but gave up on the movies after 5. Love the story about about you and your roommate.

Joe @ Defend Us In Battle said...

It really was this generations "Series." Kinda interesting to compare it to Star Wars and see a lot of the similarities.

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

I love finding other Potterphiles! Now I know we'd be friends in real life! I started reading Harry Potter when I was 12, at the urging of my little sister. From that day on, I was obsessed. I wrote Harry Potter fanfics, got involved with the fandom online, went to the movie premieres in NYC to see the actors, read anything related to Harry Potter, etc.! The series has always been such a joy for me! Helped pave the way for many friendship. I'm so glad to se you mentioned Mugglenet :)

And...NEVILLE'S THE MAN!!!!

Natalie said...

I love the HP books & movies! I'm a very late bloomer as a reader, I didn't start reading the books until after the 6th movie came out in theatres! I have officially finished all 7 books and can't wait for a date night to see the last movie!

Catholic Mutt said...

I have to admit that I've not read HP, but what little exposure I've had makes me think I might like it a lot. I just had to congratulate you on the correct use of "piqued"! :)

Rebecca said...

You know I'm right here with you! I've read (and/or listened to on audiobook - AMAZING!) these books at least 6 times. (Hey sometimes my horrible memory/reading comprehension is a good thing :)).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails