Thursday, August 12, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol. 15: Do's and Don'ts of Pregnancy

It's been awhile since I've done 7 Quick Takes!

For this edition, I'm going to do a "Do's" and "Don'ts" of pregnancy. These are mostly reminders for myself, but hopefully some of you preggo ladies and future preggo ladies can benefit!

1. Don't look at pictures of yourself when you weighed 98 lbs as a senior in high school.

Looking at your tanned, toned body and bony ankles will only make you feel worse about your cottage cheese thighs and swollen face! Look at those pictures after the baby is born as motivation to lose weight, but be realistic- your metabolism isn't quite the same as it was in high school!

2. Don't over do it.

If you're like me, you find it extremely difficult to stay put when there are things that need to be done. Unless your body provides you with that extra boost of energy they say you getting during nesting (which I haven't experienced yet...) then don't clean the whole house in one day. (Trust me on this one!) It's OK for things not to look perfect. The most important thing is to take care of your body because that in turn takes care of the child within you. Put your pride and stubbornness in your back pocket and take a chill pill. If you absolutely HAVE to clean- do a little at at time. One day clean the bathroom, the next the kitchen and so on...

3. Don't worry so much.

This one is extremely difficult for me. I am constantly worrying about the little one inside me.

Is he moving enough?



Is he moving too much?



What if something goes wrong and I don't realize it until it's too late and I have a stillborn baby?



What if there are complications during the birth?



What if he has health issues?



Am I leaking amniotic fluid or did I just pee myself?



But then I realized that the worrying won't stop once the baby is born. I'll worry that he'll get sick, that he'll stop breathing, or that he isn't pooping enough. When he gets older I'll worry he isn't developing right or that other kids will pick on him or that his obsession with vacuums is a little weird. Then he'll enter the teen years and a whole new bundle of worries will develop. (Oh dear Lord in Heaven... please don't let him turn out like I was as a teen!) I will be worrying for him when he's adult. I will be worrying about him until the day I die.

But worrying constantly just sucks the joy out of life. It has sucked a tiny bit out of my pregnancy. Sure- a certain level of worry is good and healthy, but too much can just be crippling. This has definitely taught me to trust in God. He has the Master Plan and it is ultimately good.

4. Do accept help.

I am a fairly independent person. I swear there is a 2 year old toddler inside me that stompls and yells, "I can do it myself!" whenever someone asks if I need assistance. For the longest time in my pregnancy, even if my feet were swollen and I felt like a zombie I would still make supper even if my husband insisted on cooking. I would water the flowers myself in 100000 degree heat and drive our minivan even though it was starting to get uncomfortable.

It was hard at first- but that has all changed now. My husband now cooks and it's nice to share the responsibility. I can no longer drive because.. um... Ican'treachthegaspedal... and it KILLED me for the longest time that my ability to drive was taken away. But now I can enjoy the beautiful scenery instead of constantly pay attention to the road.

Accepting help has made my husband happier too. For the past few months he's sternly told me to "SIT DOWN AND REST" and I'd just smile stubbornly and keep on scrubbing the toilet. Now that I listen to him he's a lot less stressed and on edge.

5. Do drink enough water

You WILL feel like crap if you don't.

There are times I feel like I'm drinking enough but then realize that I only had 2 bottles. Keep close track of how much you drink and just keep drinking! And don't skimp on the water while driving long distances. There are restrooms along the way, and even though it might take all your energy to roll out of the car and waddle to the bathroom, remember- baby needs that water!

6. Do realize you are not alone

When I look in the mirror and lament over how ginormous I have become or feel like I'm having a heat stroke when I step outside for .06 seconds I must remember that I am not the only 35 week pregnant woman who is feeling down about her appearance or her shut in days to avoid the stifling heat. I am not the only one counting my stretch marks or finding it hard to breathe or who thinks that rolling out of bed should be an Olympic event because it takes precise skill and talent to do so at this point. I am not the only one who looks down in shock when my feet turn brick size at the end of the day. I am not the only one fretting that I don't have my hospital bag packed yet.

It can feel like I am the only one in the world that is experiencing the joys and sorrows of pregnancy, but I have to remember that just isn't true.

7. DO ENJOY THESE TIMES

I know this post seems like I've been complaining a lot about my pregnancy. And to be truthfully honest, I'm to that point where I'm beginning to feel miserable. Physically I just can't move around anymore and it's just annoying. I get so tired that I feel like I want to sleep all the time. Emotionally- my heart is aching to see my little boy. I swear I constantly think about the day he comes into this world. My arms want to hold him so badly. I am reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the Le Leche League and I just can't wait to have that sacred bond with my son.

The suffering of certain pregnancy symptoms has taught me to love more deeply. My back might hurt, my face might be swollen and heartburn might be killing me, but every time I feel my son kick I remember that it is all for him. If he is growing happy and healthy then all the pain is worth it. I feel like I'm running out of room for him to grow, and because of that I can sometimes see his little foot pushing out. It's like he's saying, "Mommy, you will get to tickle these little piggies soon!"

Pregnancy is a blessing. Men don't get the joy of feeling a little person grow inside them. Pregnancy can be difficult to achieve- it's not like a normal bodily function like hiccups or digestion- pregnancy is something truly special for a woman's body. So many changes occur and the body adapts to a growing human- how truly amazing! When we women are old and grey and look back on the special times in our lives, pregnancy will probably be toward the very top of our list.

So try your best to not concentrate on the poopie part of pregnancy. Enjoy the kicks and tumbles of your little one. Enjoy washing baby clothes and imagining how cute he or she will look in the adorable outfits. Smell the baby wash and lotions. Look at the diapers and think of the cute little bottom who will grace these diapers and fill them with icky things. Think about the moment you see your child for the first time and how your life has just changed forever. Think about your husband gently holding your child for the first time and imagine the look of love and pride in his eyes. Thank the Lord for this precious gift and the time He has given you during your pregnancy.

BONUS!

DON'T throw things at people when they make annoying comments and DO realize they aren't trying to piss you off.

"Wow, you've gained weight in your face." Gee, thanks. Every woman wants to hear THAT.

"I bet you're dying in this heat." Really? I hadn't noticed. Is summer supposed to be hot?

"Your feet are swollen." OK, it's my turn to point out something on your body that doesn't look right!

"Are you sure you aren't carrying twins?" Um, no, I'm not carrying twins. But thanks for making me feel extra fat today!

"I bet you're going to pop any day!" Nope, I still have a month left. My God, what will I look like then?! I might topple over!

9 comments:

Kerrie @ TFK said...

So far my "favorite" comment so far has been....Are you sure you're pregnant?...Yes, I haven't gained any weight and yes, I just look fat....but, I am 6mos pregnant! grrrr.....

That Married Couple said...

Good list! But um, 98 pounds in high school? I was maybe that in middle school! ;)

Sarah said...

98 lbs - ha! I think that last time I weighed that was in the sixth grade. :)

Thanks for the reminders! I think you look beautiful (from the f'book pictures you've posted).

I too have had annoying comments because I'm just about 20 weeks and have gained 5 pounds. I barely look pregnant, and I'm pretty sick of cashiers at Babies R Us asking me if I'm attending a shower!

I'm sure in about a month I'll be regretting that.

Have a good weekend!

Joy said...

Not much longer, great list!! Glad you are accepting help, this is tough for me too but have learned that accepting a little help along the way makes everyone concerned happier.

Congratulations on making it to the 35 weeks ~ 35 days to go milestone!!

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Remember- I'm really short, so that's how I weighed 98 lbs. I also took really really good care of myself!

It also annoys me when people say pregnant women "look small." What a great way to freak them out making them think their baby is growing right! I think people should just say, "You look wonderful!" and leave it at that!

Melissa said...

I was so huge with my second baby (who ironically was my smallest baby to date)and I remember 1 week before my due date I got so fed up with not having any clothes I could fit into I went into target to buy sweat pants. And the lady in the dressing room told me that I was huge and that there was no way that baby was going to be born without a c-section, and I cried all the way home.
1. I agree. I haven't weighed 98 pounds since age 11, it sounds scary.
2. Do one thing a day, and like write it on the fridge or something, so you feel like you accomplished something. And that is a good one to keep for after the baby is born too, especially the first 2 months where you are so so tempted to do to much. The more you over do it post partum, the longer it takes to feel like yourself again.
3. Tough one. I worry all the time, and your right, it doesn't really go away after they are born. And try not to worry to much about the teen years, having parents that control every aspect of your life and keep you under lock and key so you can't get into any trouble isn't all it's cracked up to be.
4. Amen! I am still learning this one. Keep accepting help for things you actually need. On the other hand, if people keep on insisting on rearranging things in your life that already work great for you, don't be afraid to tell them no. And yes, let your husband help, even if he doesn't do it the way you would, it means alot to them.
5. Keep this up after the baby is born too! When you are breast feeding and not drinking enough water it feels like they are sucking the liquid out of your brain.
6. Yep. Been there, done that. It can be fun to eavsdrop on a JustMommies.com due date group and hear everyone else's woes too.
7. The biggest key to enjoying it all, has been to stop asking myself if I'm "doing it right" You are a fantastic mommy, try not to doubt yourself.

Sorry about the book, great quick takes!

Patty said...

Okay...the "you look like you could pop any day" comment...that deserves a shoe to be thrown or at the least a little silly slap?

Hang in there. Yes, drink lots of water. Keep your tootsies up and rest, rest, rest!

Once you have your second child, you will never be able to do the rest thing again :)

Colleen said...

Poor girl! The only good advice I got about swelling was to stop eating salt. Which is hard to do when you're craving fast food (like I was!). I weighed about 130 in high school and still look back on those pictures with envy. But I wouldn't trade my kids for a skinnier waist :)

Catholic Mutt said...

Good advice! I hope I need to remember it someday! :) I know some of the Midwest cooled down over the weekend; hopefully you got a little relief!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails