Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Trusting God


Some of you may have heard this story about relying on God's help. (It has been years since I've heard this, so I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow.)

A massive flood was covering the town. A man camped out on his roof. His neighbors who were in the process of evacuating begged and pleaded with him to get down and get to safety. He told his neighbors, "I'm not going anywhere. God will help me."

The water got higher and higher and reached the roof.

A man in a small motor boat came by and told the man sitting on the roof that he was there to rescue him. The man said, "No thank you. I'm staying here. God will help me." The man in the boat pleaded and begged the other man to get in the boat, but to no avail.

The water reached the top of the roof, just about a foot away from washing the man away. A helicopter came by and dropped down a rescue ladder. The pilot yelled out, "We're here to save you! Grab on to the ladder before it is too late!" Despite the water rushing over his feet, the man said, "No thank you. I'm staying here. I know God will help me!" Despite the pilot's begging and pleading the man stayed put.

The water overtook the man and he drowned. He went up to Heaven and in a bewildered state asked the Lord, "My God, I had faith that you would help me, and I ended up dying. Why did you not help me?"

God said, "My child, I did help you! I had your neighbors try and convince you to come to safety. I sent a man in a motor boat and a rescue helicopter to save you, but you didn't go. I did help you, just in ways you didn't expect."

I have a hard time trying to figure out where to draw the line of where to meet God when it comes to trusting Him to help me.


Living on one income hasn't been easy. There has been a lot of stress, anxiety, and worry. Our goal is to move closer to the city where there are more job opportunities and where we will be closer to family. But things haven't worked out that way yet.

I learned long ago that the saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans" for sure applies to my life. Some of my plans included going to Hollywood to be an actress. I was going to be a life-long sorority girl and meet a nice fraternity boy and marry him. I was going to be a pediatric nurse. My plan for after graduation from college was to settle in with my new husband, start teaching at a Catholic school and plan on waiting six months to start having babies.

Well we all know how that last one turned out.

In these times of stress and uncertainty I've come to rely on the power the prayer and letting go and letting God take over. He's the one ultimately in charge anyway. I started praying a 54-day novena that brought a lot of comfort and peace. This novena also brought many small unexpected blessings. My student loan payment was lowered. Ryan got a small raise. Our parents' generosity was more than we could have ever asked for.

But we didn't just sit back and wait for the blessings to come roll in. I had to make the call to get the lowered student loan payment. (The blessing was that it was lowered more than I thought it would.) I told someone I was praying this novena and he told me, "You have to ask God to help yourself." I realize this is partly true. I am not going to be like the man on the roof during the flood and just wait for God to do all the work.

But where does God's help begin and helping myself end? I know there are situations where God and I have to work together. But what about the situations where things are completely out my control?

How about times of deciding whether or not it's the right time to have a baby? There are some people who wait to have their own house, have some financial security and have a couple of years of marriage under their belt before they even think about having a baby. And when they decide on children, they believe in their heart that finances will only allow them to have one or two children. But then I look at women who have four or five (or seven or eight!) children, stay at home and have wonderfully fulfilling lives. I know they make many sacrifices. but I know they also ask God for help as well.

Where do you draw that line of completely depending on God and then putting yourself in the equation?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I have been feeling some similar things, though not financially related. More having to do with having a child. And I think fertility is one of the best examples of the line between where God helps us and we help ourselves. I mean, obviously we have a big role to play in conceiving a child, but as you and I both know well, our effort only goes so far. It's only going to happen when God wants it to happen.

And oh boy is that frustrating!

I'm glad that you have had those blessings through your 54-day novena. I am thinking of doing a novena to St. Joseph this spring, it is supposed to be one of the most powerful.

Would it be totally weird if I proposed a g-chat/real chat? I feel like we'd have a lot to talk about! :)

Michelle said...

I always remember the scene from "Facing the Giants". The coach tells the old guy that he has been waiting for God to come and help him. The old guy tells a story about two farmers and both prayed for rain. Only one farmer went out and prepared his field for the rain. And then the old guy asks, "who do you think God helped?" (The scene goes something like that)

This is what we did when Craig lost his job. You bet we were praying every living second of the day but we were also putting out resumes, scouring want ads, going to career fairs, etc. You name it he did it. Then God stepped in and provided.

Love the post!!!!

Lenae said...

Great post, Maggie! I often wonder the same thing when my husband and I approach major life decisions. I think it's awesome that you turned to prayer; ah, if only we all prayed when we needed guidance and comfort!

I've been reading through your archives and am really enjoying your writing. You have such heart!

Melissa said...

We haven't used any form of birth control or even NFP yet. My husband doesn't make a ton of money, in fact he was in school for the first 3 of our 5 years of married life. And we've lived on one income. So I guess I am the trust God type in that respect, I know He will provide.
Now it took going into debt for the first time after being forced to undersell our house in the housing crash this last year for me to realize I have to do my part too. :) I need to spend wisely, re-think what I actually need and use a budget. And now believe it or not we actually live on less every month with 3 kids than we did when it was just my hubby and I. Let me know if you are interested in details, I might blog about this sometime.
I agree about trust being a delicate balance, and prayer being the answer!

Katie said...

I heard this scenario on the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" the other day...and I think that movie portrays a lot of my uncertainties in the line between faith and action. The main character, Chris Gardner, played by Will Smith has many supernatural blessings...landing his competitive internship, finding shelter as making it day to day got harder, maintaining childcare during his internship, meeting the doctor who invited him to the game where he met most of his contacts...but has many physical struggles...getting hit by a car, having his medical sales equipment stolen, making all of the phone calls during his internship with enough charisma to land a deal. It makes sense to me when I fall back on trusting that I'm in a relationship with God. I depend on Him to work through me, He depends on me to listen and be His hands and feet.

Not trying to be preachy at all. This is something I just really identify with! :) Prayers for your discernment to His direction. :)

Rae said...

I don't know the answer, but I have a feeling that you've already figured out the most important part in both acting and constantly being aware of God's involvement.

Rebecca said...

It is so hard to discern where the line is between doing too much and not trusting God and doing too little.

I am a huge control freak and it has always been a big deal for me to 'let go and let God', but the more I do it, the easier it is to discern what it is he is putting before me and what it is that I need to continue working toward.

We also wanted to move and we took the leap and put our house on the market 2 years ago. My husband moved with our plans that I would follow 6 months later at the end of the school year. In June, we'd had ZERO offers on our home. I was so deflated and stuck. Did I give notice at my job or plan to be there another year. (I was a teacher, so moving in the summer was my only option so as not to leave students in the middle of a year.) I remember it like it was yesterday - I was walking up the steps and stopped, raise my eyes to Heaven and said "God, I understand that there is a time and a season for everything, but in case You were wondering, I am done with this season. I'm ready to move and be with my husband again. I will continue to be patient, but I am ready." Within a week we received the first (and only) offer on our house and in less than 2 months, hubs and I were back in the same town under the same roof as one another.

I truly believe that God heard my prayer that day. I know He hadn't forgotten about me, but He also knew I was starting to question our decision. It was His timing, I didn't affect that, but just saying what I was feeling aloud gave me the strength to wait.

Praying for discernment for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails