Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Snack Suggestions!

My absolute FAVE!

I have a million and one blog posts about struggling with my weight. I have a million and one thoughts and concerns about my current weight. I've decided to do something about it: tonight is my first Weight Watchers meeting.

I'm not too worried about the program. I know it works. It worked for me to lose weight before my wedding and my mom is currently having lots of success with the program. Yeah, it will be a challenge, but I'm ready for it.

Except there is one problem.... I am addicted to ice cream, like seriously! Ever since Ryan and I got married we've had our little tradition of having ice cream at night. I've tried giving it up.. but I just can't! With WW I don't have to cut it out completely, but the brand I like... well... I can only have like half a cup and that's still a lot of "points." I have to have a giant bowl full.

I think the main problem is is that I have to have a sort of bed-time snack. I usually eat a lot of supper, but I'm hungry about the time I hit the hay and I have a hard time going to sleep hungry. (Yeah, yeah... I know there are children in Africa that go to bed hungry every night. Don't make me feel even more guilty than I already do!)


So I'm looking for a healthy bed time snack. I need your suggestions, dear friends!

8 comments:

Allison said...

I think other than weight, your heart and veins may thank you for cutting out daily ice cream. My dad had a heart attack at the age of 50, and prior to that he had ice cream every night. Of course he no longer does that, as ice cream does have quite a bit of fat.

I'm not sure how WW works, would sherbert be an option? It has sugar, but they're fat-free.

Amy said...

My husband and his family always have yogurt for dessert. It is cool and sweet and creamy--okay, not as much as ice cream, but maybe you can convince yourself that it is basically the same? Just make sure you don't get the kind loaded with sugar; with some of the yogurts out there, you might as well just be eating ice cream!

Joy said...

I've never done WW so I don't know if these are much less in points but when I was trying to eat less ice cream someone told me about Dove ice cream minis, and personally I thought they were great!

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Fresh fruit always helps keep my sweet tooth at bay. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the ice cream - it is my favorite food! Maybe have Ryan have a different snack at night too - it always helps me when Cliff eats the same thing I do. Even if his quantity is waaaay more.

Anonymous said...

I am a late evening snacker and whenever I work on losing weight those bedtime snacks are the first things to go. I don't really have an alternative because I just have to go cold turkey.

But what about something like animal crackers? I remember that was a snack of choice of mine for awhile...

Dacia said...

Oh man I love ice cream too! Mine is moose tracks yum yum. I don't too often eat a bed time snack, but when I do it is usually cereal for some reason. I also love fruit sorbets and have been making my own smoothies which are a nice substitue for ice cream, my son love those too! Another thing to consider is having a cup of no caf tea, I love camomile before bed with some honey or creamer. It fills your tummy, but may make you need to get up for the bathroom. I am sure weight watchers will go great!

Lesa said...

Since I'm the newbie to your blog, I'll chime in. I have to have milk before I go to bed, not necessarily ice cream, but milk. A nice good swig of it and I'm out like a light...without, well, it's not worth the hassle.

Come to find out, my body knows the lactose (which is a carb converted into sugar by our bodies) can be craved just like anything else with sugar and form a withdrawl response from our body.

Maybe some milk and fruit, possibly cutting out some of the sugar and fat in ice cream but satifying the craving?

Best of luck,
Lesa
thegoodthebadandthehumbling.blogspot.com

Rae said...

I don't really have good snack ideas since nothing is going to measure up to your ice cream, but could you try adding more fiber and protein to your supper so you'd stay full through the night? Then you could eat a little ice cream slowly because you love it, not because it fills you up.

It really is all about portion control (or so I tell myself). We just got these amaaaazing ice cream popsicle things that are made with real cream and sugar and fruit... but they're small so they have less than 50 calories each.

And good luck with WW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails