Friday, June 24, 2011

Old


Yesterday I was driving to my mom's house. It seemed like every radio station was on commercial except one: 95.7 The Vibe. It was all the latest hits in the pop music world.

I'm a fan of nearly every kind of music (except new-age-y elevator type jazz) so I gladly kept this station on. I was bobbin' my head to the music when I realized something:

I'm old!

I had no clue who these artists were. I had never heard some of these songs. Heck, these songs might be a year old and I'm just now hearing them. I mostly listen to country music and classic rock. Other times it's music from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. (Are these considered oldies? Don't answer that.)

Kids dance to Ke$ha, Katy Perry and a Britney Spears who has been married, had 2 kids, had a meltdown and now a resurrected career since I last listened to her at their school dances. We had Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys and whoever the guy was that wrote "The Thong Song."

I got on MTV.com (I know, I know... music consists of about 1% of their programming) and realized how out of touch I am. I feel like an Amish person. Working in an Apple store. In New York City. At Times Square. AT NIGHT!

I'm a few months away from turning 27 years old. I may not be with it, but I'm so glad I don't have to worry about who the latest tween-turned-hoochie mama is or who will be the next Justin Bieber.

I have much more important things to focus on. That makes me very happy.

6 comments:

Allison said...

Hahahaha oh my gosh, I had totally forgotten about "The Thong Song". Oh wow, and to think, I can still hear it in my head if I think about it!

I'm just shy of 25, so I guess I'm getting old too! Although I still know some of the current music kids listen to, as I turn it on occasionally, and my sister listens to it (she's 2 years older than me...) But I much prefer modern Christian radio since it has such a better message, but still good tunes. I don't mind country either, which makes me feel really old, since that's what my parents listen to!

Joy said...

LOL, my 'old' moment was when the movie Titanic came out and young girls everywhere gushed over Leonardo Dicaprio and my reaction was ~ too young. Turns out he is only a little over a year younger. Oh well!

Shelly said...

That is my situation completely and I'm only 24!

Patty said...

So I just let my oldest daughter out the door for her first evening babysitting job. That feels weird (and old!)

SarahLee08 said...

Did you just say "the thong song?" ;)

At least you know who Justin Beiber is. I don't really follow much of the popular music, though I do like Adele very much. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! you're a baby! Actually, KC had a station a while back called GenX radio. I loved it...but realized it was to me and my generation kind of what "oldies" stations were to my parents. haha. But alas, I guess Jack FM was winning that segment so that station is now something called The Point...and I don't like it as well.

It is interesting how your taste in music kind of stagnates to where you were in your late teens/early 20's when LIFE gets going. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails