Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wondering Wednesdays Vol. 16: Music for Labor and Delivery


Today's Wondering Wednesday post:

I'm wondering if y'all have any good suggestions for songs to put on my iPod for when I am in labor.

Of course I'll have the plinky dinky Enya type classical music to soothe me, but I also plan on having some upbeat songs in there as well. I'm talking some 80's, classic rock and songs from musicals. I'm sure there is some labor expert out there that advises that it's not good for the pregnant body and mind to mix slow, relaxing music with fast, upbeat music, but I know I will need a change in genres every so often. I remember in high school when I was out of my mind nervous before singing a solo for district or state music contest I would listen to heavy metal to calm me down and it aways worked.

Some of the slow music I have in mind:

The album "Echoes of Ephesus" by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles
CDs of different movie scores- Twilight, Harry Potter, Batman, Charlotte's Web
a couple classical CDs
slow songs of the Beatles and John Lennon

Some of the faster music I'd like to play:

"Day-O" by Harry Belafonte
"Jump in the Line" by Harry Belafonte
(Yes, I am aware these first two songs are played in the movie Beetlejuice, but I love 'em!)
"The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News
"Little Bitty Pretty One" by Huey Lewis and the News
Rolling Stones
Beatles
"Summer in the City" by Lovin' Spoonfuls
"The Heat is On" by Glen Frey
"Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple


and... of course.... "Gonna Fly Now" AKA the theme song from the movie Rocky. What an awesome way to pump one up for giving birth!!! (I understand I may be in no mood to listen to this song while my uterus is contracting, but this song just makes me wanna power through anything! YEAH!!!)





I could list so much more, but I won't. As you can tell, my music interests are very random. I love all music- classical, rock (classic, hard, hair, metal), country, religious, punk, oldies, folk, a little bit of rap, Celtic... almost everything except modern jazz.

So I'm wondering- Will you please, dear friends of mine, throw some suggestions my way for songs you listen to to relax, focus and concentrate? I'm not planning on using any medication during labor and delivery, so listening to music is my form of pain management!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm also wondering how to schedule a post to be published. I wrote this post last night and I clicked the option to have it posted at 8:00 AM today but apparently that didn't work. I tried it one other time and didn't know what to click, so I just cliked Publish Post and it went ahead and published it before I was ready! Help!

11 comments:

Katie said...

I can't offer any words of wisdom from experience, *but* when I'm really sick, I love watching weird movies that distract me from being feverish. I can't stand Pee Wee Herman when I'm well, but when I'm sick, I have to watch Pee Wee's Great Adventure. Since that movie is circa 1980something, I'd recommend some old school 80's songs. :-)

Have fun selecting the mix!

That Married Couple said...

I don't have any music suggestions, but I will tell you how to schedule posts in blogger:
When you type the post up, there's a thing you can click that says "Post Options." Then underneath it and to the right you can change "Post date and time" from "Automatic" to "Scheduled at" and voila!

Patty said...

I like such an assortment. You can check my playlist for any them. Sorry not much of a help.

Aren't you just so excited to meet your little one?!

Joy said...

What worked last time; when I was still moving around having a couple of Greatest Hits cds playing were familiar, comforting and totally ignorable (in my case Amy Grant, and Rich Mullins). Later on when things got more intense ~ Gregorian Chants, soft celtic music and Enya worked best.

HTH

Lacey R said...

Love the music list...I am the same way with music. I would throw some U2, Stevie Nicks, Feist, Tom Petty and Kool and the Gang....

If you're feeling tense or anxious, somehow listening to Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" makes me feel better.

Allison said...

I'm not much help, having never had a baby, but I just wanted to say that I love that you're including the Rocky Theme song, my fiance would love that, he loves Rocky! I'll have to keep that in mind for the future ;)

What about some songs from The Lord of the Rings soundtracks? I have a cd and some of the songs are really soothing. I'm sure you could go on YouTube to listen to some of them, as I don't remember which ones are good or not, but otherwise if you wanted me to burn you a copy of my cd I could do that and mail it off to you. Just let me know, I'm happy to help out!

Rae said...

I don't have any good suggestions but I think that you're smart to plan several types of music. That way you'll have whatever it is you end up wanting at a certain time.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I have never had music during my labor/deliveries. We're usually playing cards and listening to sports radio, LOL.

I like the songs on your list, though!

That Married Couple said...

Did you see they're discussing this same topic on F&F today? At first I thought maybe you inspired them to post on the topic!

http://www.faithandfamilylive.com/blog/music_to_birth_by/

Hallie @ Moxie Wife said...

How funny! LOL. I'm so glad you're gathering information, too! How could I have forgotten Rocky? Awesome! :)

Jess said...

May I suggest the Glee sound tracks? They tend to have good music that spans genres.

Hope all goes well with your labour and delivery. I'll be praying for you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails