Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Big Baby

I had my 36 week doctor's appointment today. Blood pressure is fine, weight is... *cough*...



The doctor felt my belly and said, "Yeah, he's pretty big." He's mentioned in the past that I'll probably have a big baby... and I guess it's true!



He scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow which I am excited about, since I get to see my baby, but I'm also kind of nervous about this huge child growing inside me. All I can picture is a toddler size baby in there... wearing a t shirt.



I will do whatever is best for my baby, but I do not want a c-section. The doctor says that isn't a concern at this time, so I suppose I shouldn't worry about it right now.



I guess what I am most afraid of, and this may sound silly, but I am afraid that since I haven't taken really good care of myself and exercised more that I made my baby obese and unhealthy... I know that what the doctor says and even ultrasounds are just estimates, but I'm still a little discouraged.



My blood pressure is perfect but I'm having a lot of swelling. He has said to stay off my feet as much as possible. That is so hard for me! I've been resting, but I still need to get up and do laundry and stuff when my husband isn't home. I guess I should re-read my post on the do's and don'ts of pregnancy!



Any who, I'm looking forward to the ultrasound tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they'll bump up my due date!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Pay NO MIND to the good doctor!! (but only on this subject!) There is no accurate science for guessing baby weight in utero. SOOO many women get muscled into an induction because the doctors say the baby is big. Their estimates are statistically off by +3 or -3 pounds...that is a large error window! In the beginning of the century, women suffered from a disease that prohibited their pelvis to grow and they literally couldn't birth their babies. That's not the case anymore. Please don't worry!! I know a lot of moms who were told their babies were going to be big and they were always under 8 lbs??? Doctor told me I was in for it b/c my son was in the 98%. He came out 7 lbs 2 oz... Relax and just remember the +3/-3!! You'll do GREAT!!

Natalie said...

You'll do fine with a "big baby"! I'm not even 5 foot and had a 8 lb 2 oz baby boy without an epidural... trust your body! Plus, God won't give you a baby you can't handle!

Patty said...

I love big babies! You'll do fine. The above comments hit the nail on the head.

I weighed in at 10lbs...naturally. Hubby weighed in at 11 lbs...naturally. :)

Remember, you have a lot of control over the birthing situation. My mom always said, "Too much information can be dangerous."

Let us know though, how things go. Ooooh! So close:)

Joy said...

Sympathy, well actually empathy of a sort ~ I'm being sent for an u/s because I'm measuring small...so of course I'm worrying that I've been doing too much and not eating enough, etc.

Rest, enjoy your peak tomorrow and remember you never know what you can do until you try and that includes birthing a baby.

Hugs and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I think I told you this on FB message once...but just remember this: If you can grow the baby, you can most likely birth the baby. Don't worry about the size of the baby...and by the way...9.5 pound babies are tiny, too. No...not quite as tiny as 6 pound babies...but they are still tiny and no where NEAR toddler size, LOL.

Signed,
The woman who has had four children, three of whom were over 9 pounds at birth and the other one was darn close to 9 pounds. :)

Jenny said...

Like the other comments, they thought my third baby was near 10 lbs., but he was only 8 1/2 lbs. when he was born. It is easy to second guess everything you have/haven't done during the pregnancy. Relax! Enjoy the ultrasound today and the opportunity to see your little guy!

Melissa said...

The Dr said my first was going to be big, she was 8 pounds 12 oz. my Dr also told me that in his 20 years of delivering babies he's found that the bigger ones have better births (on average). The smaller babies can turn or wiggle around during labor, and the number one thing defining the difficulty of birth is position (anterior vs. posterier, the way the head is positioned) He said that bigger babies tend to get into the right position and stay in the right position, making for a quick productive labor. :)

Shelly said...

Big babies are awesome! I'm fairly small - 5'4" 120 lbs - and my first baby was 9lbs 9.5oz. They seem so much sturdier than the smaller ones!

Nicole Stallworth said...

The only one of my eight babies less than 8 lbs was the premature one. All of them were natural births, except the first one, as we have backed away more and more from the interventionist tendencies of the childbirth industry. My last three were home births. I am not naturally a nonconformist and I could not have taken that path without my husband's initiative and support, but I hope to reassure you by saying that they were my biggest babies (9 and 10 lbs), and the easiest pregnancies and births I have had.

I completely agree with the other comments here: God designed your body for this. There is a lot of information out there to help you prepare yourself physically, (which can ease your mind in itself).

I hope your ultrasound went well. Good luck!

Colleen said...

Big babies rock! Seriously, I would much rather have a big, sturdy, healthy baby than a small, weak, flimsy baby.

Your baby is getting all it needs from you, and only what it needs from you. Don't worry about if you exercised enough. You can do that after baby is born.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails