Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Why Nursing? The Journey Begins...

In less than a week I start my first prerequisite class for nursing school. I'm taking Introductory Chemistry for Health Sciences. Last night I drove to the campus bookstore to pick up my textbooks and goggles for my lab.

As I walked back to the van where Ryan was waiting I had a huge grin on my face. He asked me why I was smiling and I told him I was excited about starting this journey. I love the "newness" of my textbooks. I'm a nerd... I get excited about new pencils and notebooks.

ERMAGERD! SKOOL!

My excitement tapered off a bit when I flipped through my chemistry book. Suddenly I had flashbacks to my 8:00 a.m. Chemistry of the Biosphere class and remembered this was my reaction after every class:


I will admit, I'm kind of scared. It's kind of like skydiving. You're so excited and psyched to do this awesome thing, but when you are about to get on the plane fear takes over and... you poop a little. OK, I'm not that scared that I lose control of my bowels, but I'm still nervous! 

Despite my fears I am not going to back down. This nursing dream is nothing new. It's not like I thought to myself, "Self, we need to do something about my student loans. Let's pick a career that makes good pay and is easy to find a job! Nursing sounds good!"

When I quit the first college I attended I had plans to go to nursing school. I went to the local tech college and took the entrance exam. I passed with flying colors and was ready for the next step. But then I was told that since I still owed money to my previous school that I could not apply. I was upset, but vowed to get a job and pay off my debt.

I began my job as a nurse aide at a nursing home. It was very much a love/hate relationship. I loved working with the residents and enjoyed taking care of them, poop and all. I just did not like the environment and some of my co-workers who did not take their job seriously.

My next job was working housekeeping and maintenance at our small local hospital. I still had the goal of nursing school, but for some reason (I think it was some stupid boy) that dream tapered off. Now I think it was God's way of saying, "Not right now."

Fast foward past a couple of deep, dark years of partying and being a hoochie mama. God was calling me to move almost two hours away to a town where I knew absolutely NO ONE. Atchison, Kansas. Who moves there willingly?! But away I went... I transferred to the Wal-Mart with the plans of saving up money to attend the nursing program there in Atchison. Again, God said "Not yet" when he led me to get an apartment right underneath Janie and Moe and they introduced me to Benedictine College. There I met my husband and got a theology degree because I loved learning about Catholicism.

My husband has always told me I would be a good nurse. I've always told him that I didn't have the time and money to go back to school and that a nursing career usually meant you worked long hours and holidays. I always just pushed the idea away.

It was when I was pregnant with Sam when my interest in nursing came back. My best friend was in the process of getting her R.N. and I enjoyed hearing the stories from her classes. There were lots of nurses at my OB's office that I really liked so that got nursing on my brain again.

When I was in the hospital after I gave birth to Sam one of the night nurses sat down and chatted with me. We talked about breastfeeding and motherhood and then the subject of being a SAHM. She worked nights, part-time, but still, a majority of her week was spent at home with her kids. All of my nurses were so great. They were kind and helpful. I wanted to be like that to someone.

For weeks after Sam was born I had nursing on the brain. The thoughts would not leave me alone! I messaged some of my facebook friends who were nurses and also stayed home with their babies and I learned nursing was totally doable. I researched different programs and different schools.

In November I decided to just go for it. I applied to the college and was accepted. I enrolled in two classes. I ordered my books. The journey is now beginning.

The application to the nursing program begins in August. I have my prerequisites to complete, two tests I must pass and of course the application/recommendation process. I am super nervous that I won't get accepted. But if I do get accepted and pass my final examination I should be an R.N. by December 2015.

Why nursing? I love learning about how the human body works. I love taking care of people when they need taking care of. Poop, pee, vomit, blood, mucus... doesn't bother me. 

It's going to be a challenge, especially with two small boys running around but thankfully I have an awesome husband and loving family and friends that will help me out.

So... here I go. Let's get this started! 

9 comments:

Catholic Cookie Jar said...

Good luck with applying, Maggie! I am so excited for you! :)

Patty said...

Ditto! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Maggie!!!

8 kids and a business said...

Hello! I'm not even sure how I landed on your blog but I'm glad I did. I'm an RN and I would like to wish you all the best in your studies. We need more Catholic nurses. Entrust your studies to St. Camillus de Lellis, patron saint of nurses. He watches over my nursing-related business. I've written a some posts on the nursing profession on my blog. I'd like to invite you over, scroll down and take a look. I hope they help.

Colleen said...

WHat kind of nursing do you hope to do? I always think I would love to be a maternity nurse, but then I see how much of it soooo messy, and think, ummm, maybe not! My mom and sister and sister-in-laws are RN's. It's a great paying job with plenty of scheduling flexibility. Good luck!!

Catholic Mutt said...

Congrats and good luck! I'm so excited for you! I think you may end up liking chemistry more than you think. I know there were parts of it that made me want to poke myself in the eye with a three hole punch, but mostly it was amazing to learn how it works.

That Married Couple said...

I'm excited for you, Maggie, and love your enthusiasm! Good luck!!

Joy said...

So excited for you as you begin your journey to becoming a nurse! PLease let me know if I can help in any way.

Life is Beautiful said...

Hello, I came upon your blog when I read your story about your angel baby Gus. I just want to say that you've inspired me and made me look in the brighter side of the situation which I have experienced similarly. And also I wish you the best of luck in nursing school. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails