Thursday, October 7, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol. 17: First Time Mommy Edition

I've been a mother for 5 weeks. Wowie have I learned a lot! I've experienced a lot too- some stuff I've never dealt with until the birth of my beautiful son! I'd like to share with you some things I've never done until I became a mommy.



1. I've never sang "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am" in the shower. I sang it a couple days ago to entertain Joe while he was chilling in his bouncer. And yes, I did sing it in the Cockney accent- "I'm 'Enery the eighth I am, 'Enery the eighth, I am, I am!"



I bet you'll have this song in your head the rest of the day!


2. I've never stripped down to my bra and underwear in the dining room before. I read about after childbirth of the major peeing and sweating a woman's body does to get rid of all the fluid accumulated during pregnancy. Well, I had a looooooooooot of fluid so I would break out in hot flashes and sweat like a fool. This happened once while I was changing Joe's diaper on the changing table. I could NOT wait to pick him up and carry him to the bedroom or bathroom to strip down- I was sweating like crazy and I felt like I was going to faint. I wasn't going to leave him alone on the changing table, so what did I do? Stripped down and prayed to the Lord that no one would come to the door or walk close by our open windows!



3. When my mom calls me she always asks, "So, what are you doing?" I always say, "Nothing really." Well, once I changed my answer to an response I've never said before. When she asked what I was doing I answered, "Leaking all over the place!" She said, "Well I've never heard that one before!" Ah, the joys of breastfeeding!



4. I've never lost 60 lbs. in 5 weeks. I'm 10 lbs. away from my pre-pregnancy weight (although I want to lose more than that since I was a little overweight before I got pregnant.) Yes, I did gain a crap-load of weight and I have pre-eclampsia to thank for that massive weight gain and breast feeding and peeing and sweating profusely to thank for the weight loss! Yeah, I have a jello-belly, but the rest of me looks pretty darn good after looking like a puffy giant!



5. I've never had to clean poop out of a sink.



6. I've never been freaked out by eye boogers before. Joe got some eye goop and it came from no where! I picked him up to feed him in the middle of the night and his left eye was fused shut! He opened his other eye and thankfully my little winky baby wasn't bothered by this crustified eye.



7. I've never really cared about taking care of myself. Before Joe was born I didn't care about what I ate or even exercising. I always thought, "Oh, I'll get in shape later." I want to be healthy so I can better take care of my husband, son and future children. I've also been more attentive to my appearance. I'm not overly high maintenance, but I want to feel good about myself and look good for the men in my life!

7 comments:

Abby said...

Just an FYI from one first time mommy to another: the eye goop is most likely from a narrow tear duct (unless you've been around anyone with pinkeye recently), and is *not* a reason to rush to the ER. I know this after having spent several hours in the ER to hear just that answer when my daughter was 5 days old. She ended up having goopy eyes on and off for months but it eventually resolves on its own. I wished at the time that somebody would have FYI'd me, because the ER is so not a good place to spend an afternoon and evening when you're postpartum, nursing, etc!

Rae said...

It sounds like you're doing really well for such a stressful time!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...I always gain a lot of weight throughout pregnancy and I also really like losing a whole bunch really fast.

Sounds like all is going well!!

Joy said...

Hugs and empathy ~ my hot flashes have been unreal this time around. Glad to 'hear' that things are going well and you are having fun ( or at least keeping your sense of humor).

Melissa said...

Awwww, this brings back memories! :) So glad you are enjoying your time with your new little boy, be sure to keep taking it easy!

Jamie said...

Oh, you made me smile for sure! I'm so glad you are doing so well with your little one. :)

Colleen said...

Wow, you lost weight fast!! Thanks for making me laugh with all the baby memories :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails