Thursday, September 17, 2009

When I Grow Up

Last night I applied for another job. I remember during my last semester of college reading all these news articles about how college graduates are having a very difficult time finding a job in this crummy economy. I never really paid any attention to those articles, but when they handed me my diploma and I went out into the real world I realized they weren't kiddin'!

It's kind of nerve-wracking finding a big-kid job. During high school and college my jobs were a means of paying for gas, rent, clothes and other junk. I generally enjoyed going to work, but knew I wouldn't be doing it for the rest of my life...which I guess added to the enjoyment! But now it's time to find a career. Something I will be doing the rest of my life!

Remember those care-free days during elementary school when teachers would ask you what you wanted to be when you grew up? Even in high school teachers and guidance counselors would ask this question, and it was always so fun to imagine the future- so open, so promising.

In elementary school I remember we had an "About Me" project. We had to tell our teacher about ourselves and she'd write it all on this big piece of paper. One of the questions was the "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I wanted to be an actress. My mom tells me I was a little drama queen, even in elementary school!

Then of course whenever the Olympics would come around I would want to be a gymnast like Shannon Miller, or a swimmer- that looked like fun! After watching the movie Twister I knew I'd end up being a tornado chaser!

My lofty career goals didn't end in elementary school. My freshman year I was in Upward Bound, a college prep program for high school students. We had to write a long term goal-statement. I wanted to go to medical school in New York City, then move back to Maryville and open my own pediatric clinic. I still look at that goal statement and laugh! Jump to my senior year and guess what was I planning on majoring in when I went to college? Theater! I loved acting in the school plays and I guess the little acting bug that was in me since grade school stuck with me.

Well as most of you know, I didn't last long at the first college I attended (that's a whoooooole other blog posting!)

The second college I attended I majored in secondary education and history. I lasted a semester there, and had difficulty in understanding that if you want to be successful in that major and career path, you have to actually show up to class. Ugh....but it would have been so much easier if you didn't have to work hard and *POOF!* you could just have your dream job!

So my next goal was to be a nurse. That's the original reason I moved to Atchison. But the Lord had other plans for me...(which is another blog posting!)

So I end up at Benedictine College and majored in Theology. What I was going to do with that major I had NO clue at the time, but it was a subject I really enjoyed. Third time's the charm with this school and I actually graduated! Whoo-hooo! Going to class pays off! I cried tears of happiness when I walked across that stage and got my diploma! I was so excited!!!

I had career plans already. I wanted to teach at a Catholic high school, become a great apologetic, write great devotional and evangelical material to benefit hundreds, or become a phenomenal speaker like Scott Hahn or Christopher West.

But now what? I've applied for a couple jobs for the diocese of KC-St. Joe and the Jefferson City diocese. Nothin'. It's getting pretty tight around here so I've actually applied to Wal-Mart. *shudders...*

But with all these career dreams and goals, there is one thing I want to do no matter where I end up. I want to help people. I want to encourage people. I want to uplift people. I want to bring my fellow brothers and sisters closer to Christ and to be happy. I want to make a difference. I know that sounds like an hokey advertisement for Boy's Club or Girl Scouts, but I honestly and truly want to achieve those things!

By the grace of the Holy Spirit I found a job opening for Catholic radio. I put in my resume and hopefully will be called in to interview in October. So please, please, please pray for me!

1 comment:

Nick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails