Monday, October 21, 2013

7 Years Ago...

This weekend Ryan went to a friend's wedding out in Colorado. I spent one night by myself with the boys and quickly declared that those women who have husbands who work nights or are deployed or are single mothers are SAINTS. SAINTS, I TELL YOU!

I went to my mom's house for the rest of the weekend and it was nice to have an extra pair of hands to help me out. (And to take Joe when he woke up early so I could sleep in a little bit. Thanks, Mom!) Even though I had help, I really, truly missed Ryan. I didn't get to talk with him much because he was busy with wedding festivities. I was up at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and I couldn't get to sleep. I just felt part of me was missing.

I don't write about Ryan on this blog as much as I should. But our love is hard to put into words. We do not have the perfect marriage. We fight and bicker and annoy the crap out of each other. Still, our relationship rises above all that.

I don't like to say that Ryan is my partner or best friend or soul mate (even though he is all those.) I can't find the right "label" to put on us. We both agree that our main goal in this marriage is to get each other and our children to heaven. This life is only a short time, but heaven (or hell) is foooooooreeeeeeveeerrrrr. But the greatest part of our marriage is that we make the time we have on this earth just so darn wonderful. We have fun, we laugh, we love. We have two boys that are a challenging delight and one saint in heaven praying for us. We struggle financially and are trying to find a place to settle, so we don't have the stability that others have. I know some people question our way of life, and that's OK. We have a love and a faith in God that has carried us through a lot. We have loving families that we have as a model of what really matters in life. We might live in a small house and not have enough money for beach vacations and remodels, but we are far richer in love, family, trust and pure joy than many others I know.

Today marks the 7th anniversary of Ryan and becoming boyfriend and girlfriend. I never knew that night I went to visit Ryan in his dorm that homecoming weekend that I'd walk out being his girlfriend. However, when I walked back to my campus house I knew I had found my future husband. Just like that campus tour guide had said to me two years before this- I found my spouse at Benedictine. Today I look back fondly on those first days of dating- meeting each others families, dreaming about the future and the thrill of holding hands, stealing kisses, and just being together. I definitely look forward to see what the future brings.

"My dearest friend if you don't mind, I'd like to join you by your side. 
Where we can gaze into the stars... and sit together, now and forever. 

For it is plain, as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be." 

-Nightmare Before Christmas

2006
2013

4 comments:

Alzbeta said...

*sigh*

Wonderful, sweet memories :). Isn't it great to remember that our husbands are so awesome? I should do that way more often!

Danielle said...

Thank you for sharing your husband with us this past weekend. We would have been lost without him. I hope our marriage is successful as yours has been. We missed you tons, we will come visit soon! Thanks again for sharing him with us.

Catholic Mutt said...

Such a cute couple! It's fun to read your memories, so thanks for sharing. :)

Patty said...

I love both pictures of you! Happy Anniversary to you both. May God continue to bless and keep you. Looking back at my own married years, the first 10 were definitely the hardest. Not to say the next 8 have been a piece of cake, but the spirit that binds us together is more pronounced, defined, acknowledged. Happy Anniversary!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails