Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Where I Found You (Not Meaning to Sound Like a Creeper)

I have elaborate plans for some future blog posts. I want to dive deep into some real meaty subjects. These subjects include dealing with my sensitive nature and depression, pondering the mysteries of the rosary, my fears that Christianity is a bunch of bull-hockey, the frustrations of everyone saying that having four or five kids is ridiculous, and how living in a small town shaped the person I am today.

But I’m tired. And busy. I’ve started babysitting a 5 month old girl so I am pooped. Plus, this week is going to be spent getting ready for Joe’s birthday party! So you’re not going to get my masterpiece posts for awhile. I know you’re upset.

So I thought I’d do something fun. Sometimes I wonder how other people who regularly comment or follow my blog found me. I’m not meaning to sound full of myself, but I find it interesting how the blogosphere can be a very small world.

I’m going to try and remember where I found some of the blogs I read. Just in case you were wondering!

The very first blog I started reading was my big brother’s called Roman Catholic Cop. I had heard of blogging before but wasn’t ever interested in reading them until he started writing.

The next two blogs I started reading were Kate Wicker (formerly known as Momopoly) and Lerin’s blog Beautiful Chaos. I found these two blogs featured in Couple to Couple League’s magazine, Family Foundations. It was this article that introduced me Catholic mommy blogs. I think I read every single one of their posts. The way they talked about their love of motherhood and their spirituality really inspired me. These two women were like celebrity bloggers in my mind. I wanted to email them about how much I enjoyed their blogs, but I was actually nervous!

I liked to write so I decided to jump into the blogosphere. It was mere days after my miscarriage completed itself when I wrote my first post. I found writing as a form of free therapy. It was nice to get my feelings out. I didn’t know if anyone was reading them, but it was helpful for me to see them written down instead of bottled up inside me.

My first followers were my mom, brother and husband.

Pretty soon I got a very nice comment on one of my posts from someone I did not know. It was Elizabeth from That Married Couple. If I remember correctly she found me through a comment I left on Faith and Family Live. She then directed me to her blogging friend Sarah from Fumbling Toward Grace. Elizabeth and Sarah were my next blogging friends. They were my age, newly weds and dreaming of their future vocation as mothers. They also embraced their Catholic faith. I quickly viewed these two wonderful women as people I could be friends with in real life if we didn’t live so far away! Sarah and I had also suffered a miscarriage. It was nice to have someone to share in my sadness. I hope to meet Elizabeth and Sarah someday in person!

For the longest time I had five blogs I followed. That list quickly grew!

I found Michelle from Endless Strength from the blog NFP Works. The blog featured her beautiful story of how she came to embrace the teachings of the Catholic Church. I was instantly hooked to her blog. To my surprise I learned she lived near me, but it would take a while for us to actually meet! I always knew through her writing that we could be friends in real life! I hope that friendship keeps growing!

I found Confessions of a Catholic Mutt through Michelle’s blog.

I found Colleen at Martin Family Moments through Kate Wicker’s blog.

I found Defend us in Battle through my brother’s blog.

I found Patty at Reasons for Chocolate through Catholic Mothers Online.

I think I found Rebecca at The Road Home through Michelle. It was either her or Sarah or Elizabeth’s blog.

I found Calah at Barefoot and Pregnant through Creative Minority Report.

I can’t remember where I found some blogs. These next few I’m pretty sure I remember where it was, but not 100%.

I think I found Permission to Live through Michelle’s blog.

I think I found Jenny from Lest I Forget from Catholic Mothers Online

I think I found Jamie from A Rough Diamond either through Michelle’s blog or my brother’s.

I follow A LOT of blogs, so I don’t have enough time to go through each one. If you have left more than two comments at my blog that’s how I found you. If you follow me I pretty much will follow you back. If you regularly leave comments at other blogs where I regularly leave comments chances are that is where I found you. If I can easily access your blog’s web address I will probably follow you! There are blogs I follow that I found because they are friends of mine from college- Alzbeta at The Volk’s Wagon and Katie at Let my soul flower in Thy sight. I am blessed to be friends with these two amazing Catholic women!

I love all the blogs I follow. Each and every one of you have inspired me in one way or another! Your writing has made me laugh, made me cry, made me want to be a better person. Thank you!

Hopefully this post wasn’t too boring for y’all. Or creepy. I promise I’ll be writing some good stuff soon!


So, do you remember where you found me?





14 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

This is fun! I found you I think, I Faith and Family comments. But, I remember the reason I stopped over is because for some reason I knew you were CCL!!
I think I follow toooo many blogs, but sometimes as moms we NEED this community, and living a life that is countercultural it is really hard to find a lot of these people "in real life"
Can't wait to hear about where others found you!

Melissa said...

I believe that I found you at Faith and Family back when they hosted "Small Successes". I may have also found your blog if you commented on mine (I always check out people who comment, and sometimes I follow them.) Either way, I remember you were one of the first blogs I ever followed, I liked that you were a young mom like me, and I connected with your experience of losing your first baby, since I had lost my own. Thanks for putting yourself out there. :)

Catholic Mutt said...

I like this post, because sometimes I have to try to think really hard about how I came to "know" some of the people in the blog world. Honestly, most I don't remember. I think I found you through Sarah's or Elizabeth's blog... And I still think it's awesome that we also have some real life connections! Small world? Yes, I think so.

Joy said...

Great post!
I think I found you from Elizabeth's blog but it could very well be Sara's or Allison's.
Did get to meet Elizabeth before she moved, and hope to meet you and watch our boys play together some day.

Shelly said...

I'm pretty sure I found you through a comment either on that married couple or endless strength. It's interesting that every time I find a new blog to follow, many of the other blogs I read are also following or leaving comments there.

Colleen said...

Wow, I LOVE this idea...although it's been almost 4 years since I started blogging and I don't think I could remember all the details. I was in that same article where you found Lerin and Kate...funny too because Lerin was one of my first blog buddies. I know how I discovered the world of blogging...it was from reading Danielle Bean's books and then going online to read more about her. She was my blog superhero and I was hooked!!

Rebecca said...

I am seriously impressed that you remember all of this. All of the blogs I read and follow can somehow be tied back to my friend Kristen at No Small Thing (www.nosmalthing.wordpress.com) - other than that, I have no idea! It was a click here and a link there :).

All this to say, I am so so blessed by this amazing community of women! I know without a doubt I would not be the person I am today without all of you! Thanks so much for posting this Maggie!

Allison said...

I agree, I'm impressed you remember where you found people! I have no idea where I found most of my blogs that I follow, I don't even remember where I found yours!

Emily said...

I found you through Betty Beguiles! And I am so glad that I did!

That Married Couple said...

How fun! I found a good number of the blogs I follow through comments on other people's sites. I was really on a roll for a while, where I would read the blogs I liked, then if I liked someone's comment I would click through to check out their blog, and then decide whether or not to follow it. Eventually my blog roll got so long, I didn't have time to do that any more! So now I limit myself to at least checking out if not following the people who comment on my blog.

And we are totally going to meet someday, now that I'm in MO. My baby brother is in KC, so we'll see when I can get out there. I believe we'll be going to a wedding there next spring or summer, so perhaps then if not sooner!

Natalie said...

I found you through either Michelle or Elizabeth's blogs... I think one of your posts from NFP week was linked and then I started to browse!

Thanks for following my blog too!

Jenny said...

Probably on the red line at Walmart - - - HAHA!! Love you!!

Jenny said...

I don't remember where, but I know we both had miscarried babies that we called Gus and that we were due with our next babies at the same time. I have enjoyed watching Joe grow along with our Therese!

Jamie said...

Well, one morning Mom sat down with me and had a little talk . . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails