Monday, January 28, 2013

Trying to understand real food


There has been a certain post floating around in my head for months now. I've hesitated writing it because I was afraid it would open up a can of worms.
.
This post is a plea for information and also a rant, so please bear with me.

Real Food... Huh?

The first time I ever heard of organic food was when I watched Jon and Kate + 8, you know, before she went completely and totally crazy.


I never really thought anything of organic food. Little by little I would see something advertised as organic. Maybe it had been there all along, or maybe I just now noticed it because I watched Jon and Kate.

This was all a couple of years ago. I noticed one of my facebook friends lamenting that they couldn't find any food that did not high fructose corn syrup. Then I kept hearing about the documentary Food Inc. I was never a big fan of documentaries such as these because I always felt it over-sensationalized everything. So I never watched it.

Pretty soon this organic and real food stuff was everywhere I looked. On the news, in social media, advertisements... you name it.

This brings me to my first question.

Real Food... Why Now?

With this trend of throwing out processed foods and eating real food seeming to grow more and more I am starting to wonder.. is this just a phase?

Has the real food craze always been around and I've just been living under a rock eating my Doritos and Spaghettios? 

I have read so many articles and blog posts about parents not allowing their kids to eat processed foods... at all. No Oreos, no candy, no nothin'- not ever. They claim that when they do allow their child to eat this stuff it's like Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde; their kid is no longer recognizable in their demeanor.

I think back on my childhood eating habits. I know I ate Oreos, chips, Hamburger Helper, Fruit Loops and Kraft Mac and Cheese. But my mother did not fed me this food all the time. I loved fruit and cheese. My mom was always encouraging me to try new foods. She never let me drink pop. I never really liked to drink milk until my mom used a little mommy trickery and put milk in a wine glass for me to drink from. Worked like a charm. 

Moderation is a good thing, right? So my honest question is why are we moving away from moderation of real food and some processed food and right into no processed foods at all


Thinking on that question just opens up even more...


Why now is a bag of popcorn or Oreos considered cancer-causing?

Is the obesity epidemic more because of food choices or parenting choices?

What is different about the eating habits of my generation (I am 28 years old) when we were kids compared to the eating habits of children nowadays? Why wasn't there an obesity crisis when I was younger?


Why do we hear more about food allergies and gluten intolerance? Was I just sheltered in my tiny rural town? I had never heard of these problems until just a few years ago. Have food allergies and gluten intolerance become an increasing problem? If so, why?

The Un-Appeal of Real Food
  
I have all these questions. I have a few friends who are very into the real food lifestyle, but I wanted to get a wide array of information. That was a big mistake. The interwebz are filled with "experts" and I encountered a lot of vitriol toward the kind of food I was regularly eating. I was giving myself a death sentence by eating Spaghettios. I was a little turned off by some real food advocates. This is going to be blunt and vulgar, but a lot of the people who advocated the real food lifestyle were self-righteous assholes. The ranting and raving annoyed me, so I just removed myself from the subject. 

Annoyance turned into pissed-offness when I kept seeing graphics and charts and snarky memes aimed at parents who fed their kids anything that wasn't real food. I couldn't escape these sort of attitudes. Basically, according to these people I was poisoning my children. Charts and "research" were showing how quickly my child would die of cancer and how unintelligent they would be in the future. While some bloggers were trying to educate the masses and rally against big evil food corporations they were making me feel like a horrible mother. Here I was feeding my son, who I love so deeply and fiercely, chicken nuggets FROM A BAG. I was giving him TARGET BRAND FRUIT SNACKS! But I had already set him up for disaster when I gave him Gerber rice cereal when he was 4 months old. God forbid if I had used formula instead of breastfeeding him! He'd be a zombie! I do try to give him healthy options. We rarely eat fast food. Still, my budget and lack of cooking skills forces me to dig into the processed food quite often.



I wish that some of these advocates would stress how awesome real food is for your body and how it makes one feel better instead of using it as ammo for tearing each other down. I wish advocates would use their passion to change things for the better. Save your fighting words for those big corporations and regulations that make it nearly impossible for families like mine to afford to eat real food.

Getting Over It and Moving On
It took me awhile to realize that real food is just another cog in the mega machine in the mommy war. My sensitive nature makes it hard to buid a thick skin and just ignore the bitterness and criticism. I've got to put on my big-girl panties and just realize that people advocate in their own way.
Thankfully my real-life real-food friends are very kind. They are enthusiastic, but in a "Wow, this granola tastes yummy and I made it myself!" way instead of the "Wow, this granola tastes yummy and won't give my children and me brain tumors!" way. Many of my friends admit to eating McDonalds or indulging in a Mountain Dew on occasion. Only a time or two have my feelings been hurt, but that's just because I am very sensitive when it comes to my mothering skills. Motherhood is one of the hardest things in the world. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to screw up my kids.

I am about to start my journey with Weight Watchers again. Lately I have been feeling so lethargic and crappy. I know WW will force me to think about my food choices again. I lost 30 lbs the last time I was on the program and I felt so good... physically, mentally and spiritually. I guess exercising and eating fruits and veggies will do that to you. So now I am ready to learn about real food. I am ready to serve healthy options to my family. I want to know the answers to the questions I asked but really don't know where to begin. I want to keep it simple. I don't want to dive too deep into politics (because it seem that's where everything comes down to nowadays.)Who is Monsanto and why does everybody hate them?

So here I go, gathering info for my real food journey...

Wait, you can eat second breakfast when eating real food, right???










 


 

7 comments:

Alzbeta said...

Oh, girl... we're working towards real food, but I know we'll never do it 100% of the time. Someday I'd like to aim for the 80-20 rule, but, to be honest, we're learning, and our funds are short and in some things, my tastes will take a while to win over, I think :). I think the thing wins me over about the basics of the real food "movement" are that it is just trying to get back to the the basics before everything was processed and processed some more. I like the idea that it's moving back to something a little bit simpler :).

It's so true that there is sooooo much judgement out there. That really bothers me... I really, really dislike that a little celebration of something fun on facebook or anywhere on the internet can turn into a heated debate full of blame and hatred. Why can't we just support each other and be happy that our babies are happy and that we're attempting to succeed in wherever we choose to pick our battles?

I have found one or two real food blogs where they understand that it's a hard adjustment and that it can take a while (my favorite is even Catholic... gotta love it). I try not to read comments (they suck me in... all that vitriol and snottiness is like watching a train wreck and sometimes I can't tear myself away).

So, yep, we're trying to get back to our "real food roots"... but I'm also reminding myself that that's our choice at this point and at mamas we need to make a concerted effort to love and encourage other mamas... because, for the most part, all they want to do is raise happy, healthy kiddos.. and I don't think there's a mom in the world who can something wrong with that hope.

Unknown said...

It is such a real struggle - should I starve my kid because he won't eat this organic, vegan blahblahblah. Isn't eating something better than nothing in a growing toddler?

I agree with Sarah a while back, 80/20. I scarf down my share of store bought cookies and I love Dr. Pepper and that's probably not going to change any time soon.

I'm probably not even close to a real food foodie, but rather I just try and cook for scratch as best I can (and sometimes that calls for bags of frozen, cut up chicken or mixes). My biggest turn around was just trying to find ways of making certain things that come in boxes or bags -
things like noodles & "butter", tuna casseroles, soups, etc. They're not always 100% certified whatever, but I'm content that I know a little bit more about what's going into them.

It's such a trade off the real, local, organic food craze because (IMHO) there are some benefits to being able to store food for a long time - when was the last time any of us actually went hunger after a drought year?

If you're feeding your kids the best you can with your time, skill and budget all factored together and your children (and your self) are growing fine and are healthy than I think you're doing fine

We can always make a "not crunchy enough" club and sit around eating organic apples and sipping on Dr. Peppper and Mt. Dew together.

Anonymous said...

Take it a step at a time. We have Dani on a gluten-limited diet because it seems she has a gluten intolerance. Gluten allergies WERE around when we were kids they just didn't know what to look for. My sister had to be 35 and have repeated visits to the ER to find out that her entire intestines were in shambles because she has celiac disease and had eaten things with gluten in them all her life. celiac isn't something that manifests always in a dramatic way...

I think moderation is always the way to go. the people who actually have kids who go their entire childhood without eating processed foods? I think that it is VERY rare to be able to do that.

by the way, I do recommend watchign Food, Inc. It's on netflix. it's not over the top and it does help you get some perspective (especially about "who is Monsanto?). It's not too long and it is very informative.

As for small children...I dunno. the only reason I can go gluten-limited with Dani is because she's 9-years-old and I can reason and explain things to her. I have a hunch I need to limit gluten with Dominic, but he's 4 and it's hard enough to get him to eat anything anyway!

As you know I'm a big WW fan! I need to get back there ASAP after having this baby because I will need to lose my weight. I am thinking this one is it for us (age and opportunity waning), so I really want to get my healthy active self back as soon as possible.

Unknown said...

One thing that has helped me with some of the transition is new recipes. When I make an old recipe with the new ingredients (like whole wheat flour) I end up comparing the two, etc. and it doesn't help, even if I alter the recipe to account for the different flavor. New recipes just taste how they taste with the better ingredients!

Lacey said...

I'm not a mom, but I've been thinking a lot about real food the past few months as well. I don't know if you've ever heard of Whole Foods (organic grocery store) but I actually just got hired at one! They have a lot of information about organic foods on their website and they even have recipes and what not. I know that there have been people all about organic foods since the early 1990's at least, but it does seem like people are getting crazier about it lately.
I plan on trying to incorporate more organic foods into my diet but I don't think I'll do it 100% of the time. I grew up on processed foods and completely hating all vegetables and most fruits and I'm still okay haha :P. I am a little overweight but I'm not obese. I was on WW for awhile too but I just get so lazy about looking up the points and writing everything down! I'm trying to get back into it again because it worked very well when I actually kept up with it.
I wish you luck! I hope you are able to find answers to all of your questions. At the end of the day you just have to do whatever YOU feel is right for you and your family, not what someone else thinks you should do. <3

Catholic Mutt said...

I'm not all real food. I get home from work at 6:30 most nights, and the last thing I want to do is cook for just me. I usually eat some sort of frozen food. Some organic with all ingredients that make sense, others with lists of various chemicals. But what I have noticed is that as I value real food, I tend to make more and more choices that direction. It gradually gets to the point that I don't want other things. For example, I used to eat occasional fast food because I liked it, but I limited it due to the calorie load. Now I loathe most fast food because it tastes horrible to me now that I'm used to something different.

Christine said...

I just found your blog from 7QT. So glad I did. I like your style.

The healthy eating craze has been around a long time, it's just now getting more attention. I really started eating healthier when our oldest was born 14 years ago. I learned a lot, mostly from a friend who was farther ahead in the healthy research than me. Simple things as whole wheat vs. "wheat" bread were new to me. I would suggest not reading and researching too much. Find one or two people to be your "mentors" and just talk to them, watch them, and ask questions. Plus, common sense goes a long way. The closer you get to the source, the healthier the item is. Take little steps. Progress is good. But for pete's sake, a few Oreos aren't going to hurt anyone who eats a mostly healthy diet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails