Monday, May 2, 2011

My Thoughts on Bin Laden's Death

I was lying in bed next to my sleeping Joe reading a book. My husband and his brother were in the next room playing Xbox. Suddenly Ryan peeked his head in and whispered, "Osama Bin Laden was killed." I jumped up and went into the other room where they had the news turned on. Soon Barack Obama would be speaking to the country. This was no rumor. This was no speculation. This was confirmed news.

I'll admit that my first reaction was that I wanted to run around in an American flag t-shirt and shoot pistols in the air shouting, "USA! USA! USA!" Finally- justice is served! That evil man is dead! My facebook wall flooded with similar status updates of being so happy that his man was dead as a doornail. Serves that bastard right! Hope he burns in hell! I texted my best friend saying, "We killed that a-hole!"

But then a girl I went to college with posted a different kind of status:

A man who has caused the deaths of thousands has been killed. Am I glad he can't terrorize the world anymore? Yes. Am I celebrating the death of a fellow human being? No. Stop gloating people...it may be hard to believe, but that man was created in the image of God just like any of us. Try praying for his soul...you know the whole "love thy enemies" thing.
Blessed JPII - Pray for us and for our world.


That stopped me in my tracks. Suddenly I wasn't in such a celebratory mood anymore. It's easy to picture Bin Laden as a monster. He is a monster who is responsible for the deaths of thousands of men, women and children. But he is still human. He was once a small baby, sleeping next to his mother, just like my son sleeps next to me. He was once an innocent child, playing with his friends. He was once a gawky teenager, nervous about himself and his future. Somewhere along the line, something went wrong. Terribly wrong.

I find it interesting that he was killed on Divine Mercy Sunday. God shows his mercy to the most evil of men, if they desire his forgiveness and love. We do not know what Bin Laden's last moments were like. God alone is his judge. You never know... we might be surprised to see Bin Laden in heaven someday.

I know I will probably take a lot of flack for this post. I do agree his actions were evil. I do agree that he needed to be stopped. One might even argue that he was killed in self-defense. I still love America and am a proud supporter of our military. But does his death really mean that we are safe now? It's not like the war on Al-Qaeda is over. In fact it might be getting much much worse.

Is celebrating his death really what we should be doing? Shouldn't we be praying for his soul? With all our comments about how he deserved to die and how we're glad he's dead and how we hope he rots in hell- well, we're not showing him mercy. We're not valuing his life. And with the rate we're going- we're not much better than him.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah...I felt very conflicted. I never rejoice in the death of any human being, especially at the hands of our military. But at the same time, I am not really sorry he's dead. It's a very strange feeling.

I am trying to pray for his soul. He needs it (as do we all!).

Katie said...

Awesome thoughts Maggie - I fully agree that this event should secure our humble prayers, not obnoxious gloating. He is a soul with inherent dignity, who is unconditionally loved by God. We should do no less than love him ourselves.

Holly Rutchik said...

Amen! I wish I could write more but this is how I feel as well. It really just makes me sad - sad that something could go so wrong - sad that is possible and evil is that strong. I do pray he can see the light at his judgement and that good wins over evil.

Colleen said...

YOu described my feelings exactly. First I was happy/patriotic, and then I thought, but should they have KILLED him? Yes, if he pulled a gun on them and it was self-defense...but if not? I don't think so. Being pro-life doesn't just mean being against abortion, it means believing God should be the only creator and "taker" of human lives, right?

Colleen said...

Oh, and to think it happened on John Paul's Beatification Day - very ironic!

That Married Couple said...

Great post, Maggie.

Jenny said...

When I read the news, first thing I thought was "God have mercy on his soul".

I agree with Colleen about the pro-life stance.

I have had an uneasy, unsettled feeling in my heart all day today.

Natalie said...

I don't think I can add anything to this post, because I completely agree with your feelings on this one!

I am not for the death penalty in any circumstance, but we also don't know if the military ops were being threatened with imminent harm. That is where it becomes very gray for me.

We're all sinners after all...

Rebecca said...

Beautifully put Maggie! I agree (so much so that I linked to you - hope it's ok!)

Catholic Mutt said...

Amen.

Dacia said...

Last night my husband and I were very somber actually. I said to him, I pray we don't see Americans dancing in the streets...but we did. And like you I saw tons of excited Facebook statuses. I agree with your thoughts, the world is CERTAINLY a better place without him, and he truly was evil. We have to keep in mind though that he had a soul which God loved very much. Knowing that I am no more deserving of God's mercy than Bin Laden or anyone else, we said a prayer for his soul (especially since it was the Feast of Divine Mercy), and for the souls of all those he has killed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

This article was great too: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1101730.htm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails