Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Saint Dolls!

I am not a fan of Pinterest. Basically it makes me feel like a big fat lazy blob who is depriving my kids of glitter and glue-filled memories. But for the most part the reason I avoid Pinterest is because I can get very over my head with "projects." A couple of years ago I was determined to teach myself to crochet. With a lot of YouTube video watchin' I figured some of it out... but can never get pass crocheting a square... and even then I start to miscount my stitches. There was also the year I bought a sewing machine and had big visions of sewing quilts and curtains. I did sew Joe's first Christmas stocking... but I fear it won't last.

But this past week I saw a cute little project on a Catholic mommy facebook group. I had never heard of them before even though I guess they are all the rage in some mommy circles. They are wooden saint dolls and I'm obsessed with them!

Late one night I saw someone post a picture of these dolls on the group and vowed the next day to go get supplies to make my own. I got my supplies and jumped right in. I found out later that it's better to make them with bigger sized dolls, so I decided these little dolls were going to be my experiment.

They take FOREVER to paint because you have to paint the different layers. I also made the mistake of painting some of them when Ryan wasn't home. Do you know how hard it is to paint teeny tiny eyebrows on a saint's face when you have two little minions crawling all over you?

I figured it would be an epic failure, but I'm pleased with how they came out. I made the mistake of using a paint pen for St. Joseph's eyes so when I sprayed the gloss it made his eyes bleed! I was so mad because he was my favorite! I tried to fix it but it just turned out weird. Oh well.

The best part? Joe LOVES them! Sam does as well, which makes for a lot of fighting. Joe can identify who the people are. I always feel so guilty that I'm not teaching him enough Catholic stuff, but I think I found a way to make learning about the saints fun! Joe loves these dolls so much he's constantly saying "Make more, mommy!" and when I'm painting it he demands, "I need it now!"

Here are some pictures of the finished product!

Blessed Mother
St. Joseph... you can see where I messed up the eyes...
Sacred Heart of Jesus
Nanananananana JESUS!
Our parish priest, Fr. Rogers and Pope Francis
The Gang


7 comments:

Billie Jo said...

I love them!!!!

Seriously!!!!

I wound never attempt them...I have NO artistic ability. : )

Yours look great...perhaps if I check Etsy, I will find some talented soul who is selling them. : )

Christine said...

Those are great!!! My daughter would love to make them. Perhaps a good mother/daughter project for Christmas gifts for her little brothers...

Patty said...

Maggie! You are doing a great job! Joe resembles your parish priest a bit ;)

Emily said...

Those are amazing! I've always wanted to try making those. Where did you get the wooden dolls/ pegs? And was it just acrylic paint? Did you have to prime? I really want to try making these!

Jenny said...

Wow! I love them and am so impressed with your painting skills. I also want to know where you got the wooden pegs. Such a great idea.

Catholic Mutt said...

Jesus+Batmobile=Awesome!

Lacey said...

So cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails