Friday, November 6, 2009

My Childhood Writing Career



Gosh, there's a lot of stuff I could write about today. I have so many thoughts just buzzing about in my brain, but really no motivation to write them down. I've been meaning to write a sort of "spiritual epilogue" to my miscarriage story, but I just can't find the words. Lately I've been spiritually sluggish. I am beyond stressed after learning that I didn't get the job I interviewed for a couple weeks ago. I guess you could say I've hit a spiritual dry spell. I'm just finding it hard to believe that everything will be alright. I've just been feeling blah.




On a lighter note, I dug around my massive memory chest today. I think I have every birthday/Christmas/Valentine/congratulations card that has ever been given to me in there. There are love letters, notes that were passed between my best friend and I from high school, and trinkets that I don't remember where they came from tucked safely away. My pom-poms from my cheer leading days are stuffed in there in addition to a hot pink inflatable guitar I won in a dance contest at my junior prom (deflated of course!)




I finally found what I was looking for- my beloved Purple Folder. In this folder there are many stories I wrote when I was little. There's a story of a witch-woman who becomes a good person and fell in love with a prince only for her evil witch grandmother to cause problems. I wrote a ghost story involving a boy who was lost at sea in the 1700's who haunted an old light house. I typed out a story of a snotty rich girl (the typing on the typewriter made me feel very grown up.) There's a romance story of a teenage girl who falls in love with the new neighbor boy. I mentioned before that I even wrote a comic book series called Magnificent Magg-o (sadly she was retired after #3- The Fight Against the Arch-villian Papercut.)


Many of these stories were never finished (I have unfortunately inherited the McAdams' Procrastination Gene.) I often wonder what my eight-year-old brain envisioned as an ending for the witch story or the ghostly tale. A lot of the stories make me laugh. Not only were there atrocious grammar and spelling errors, but the way I wrote I thought I knew it all (especially regarding teenage love- HA!)


I still am interested in pursuing writing on a bigger level. I worked up the nerve to email one of my favorite bloggers who happens to be an amazing Catholic woman, devoted mother and talented freelance writer for advice. I've been looking into taking some writing classes to help me become a better writer. I know my goal of writing will take an extreme amount of patience.


But all that has happened in the last few months has taught me that patience is indeed a virtue. I know things will get better.






2 comments:

That Married Couple said...

Hi Maggie,
Just swinging by from Faith & Family. I wanted to say I enjoy what I've read so far! I also always wanted to be a writer growing up and in the last year or so this desire has been reignited. Blogging especially will do that to you, huh? Anyway, I'm rambling. I wanted to mention that I saw there's going to be an online Catholic writers conference. I know next to nothing about it, but was intrigued by the sound of it, and I'm guessing you will be, too. The website is www.catholicwritersconference.com . Best wishes in your writing, and your job hunting!

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Thank you! I just love Faith and Family- it's been very spiritually enriching for me! And yes, blogging has fueled the fire to write more! Thanks for the tip on the online conference! I really enjoy your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails