Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sam's Birth Story

I promised a while back that I would write Sam's birth story. There's no exciting water-breaking tale or a story of an 82 hour labor and 3 hours of pushing. I had a c-section, so my story is pretty cut and dry.

Still, it is filled with peace and happiness.

Ryan and I arrived at the hospital before the sun came up. I registered at admissions and walked up to The Birth Place. I donned the lovely oversized hospital gown. The nurses came in to start my IV and take blood for the lab. Since I have crappy veins they blew one and then kept searching for another. That stuff never bothers me. It did, however, bother Ryan. He had to leave the room. They finally got me all hooked up.

The nurse took my blood pressure. I heard the game-over-bing-bong sound that the machine makes when the reading is complete. That brought back a flood of horrible memories from when I was in the hospital with Joe. But instead of the blaring alarm alerting the nurse that my blood pressure was sky high, there was silence. My blood pressure was perfect. Now THAT was a wonderful feeling.

I looked at the contraction monitor, and what do you know- I was having contractions. Just small ones and I could barely feel them. I had my nurse check me even though I was set on having a c-section. I was still closed and high. That brought me even more peace.

The nurse gave me the nasty, sour c-section drink and Ryan and I spent the next 30 minutes or so relaxing. Suddenly I felt like I was going to get sick, but nothing happened. Maybe it was just nerves.

My doctor came in to check on me. He told me that the anesthesioligt's assistant was of the Jesuit persuasion and I should jokingly ask him if there were any Benedictine trained assistants. (Gotta love Catholic humor!) The nurse told me that my doctor and the assistant always joked with each other I was sure to be entertained. 

The anesthesiologist came in and discussed my surgery. I told him with Joe's birth I vomited everywhere in the O.R. Seconds after the beautiful first glimpse of my son I upchucked everywhere. When they wheeled me to my room I also threw up. It was not fun so I made sure the he knew I didn't want to experience that again. I opted to get a spinal instead of an epidural. I got a spinal with Joe, so I knew what to expect and with a spinal you are able to get up sooner.

The nurse came in and told me it was time. She asked me if I wanted to be wheeled in to the O.R. or walk. I emphatically told her I wanted to walk. This might sound silly, but I wanted to walk because with Joe I was wheeled into my surgery because I was on bedrest due to the pre-eclampsia. I felt like I was in control of the situation by walking in.

I walked  into the FREEZING cold O.R. I asked the assistant if he was Benedictine trained and he laughed. "Ohhh nooo... you're one of THEM aren't you?!" he joked. I was put at ease even though I was sitting on the edge of the operating table as he was preparing me to get my anesthesia.

That was probably the scariest part of all. The numbing shot was the only thing that somewhat hurt, but I was paranoid that the anesthesia wouldn't work and I would feel the cutting. But slowly my legs grew heavy and warm. It was like a warm, comfy, heavy blanket was put over me. I was helped to lay on the table, they put up the blue sheet divider and I waited.

Ryan finally came in and we just started talking. The anesthisologist assistant was very nice, even though I made fun of him for being a Jesuit. We were all chatting and I was beginning to wonder why we were all waiting around.

"Is Dr. S coming?" I asked. The assistant said, "He's already here and they have you open." WOW! I really couldn't feel ANYTHING! My doctor and the assistant started joking with each other and I was laughing.

Before I knew it one of my doctor's assistants said that I would feel pressure (I didn't) and then I heard my son enter the world and cry. It was a deep cry and tears of my own fell down my face. Ryan had tears in his eyes as he said "He looks like Joe!"



To my surprise I looked over to my right and saw my doctor holding my son upside down! He was all gooey. I was actually thankful to see him like that- straight from my body.



They took him to clean him up and then brought him to me. He really did look like Joe. I reached out and touched him. He opened his tiny eyes. It is those moments I will never ever forget.

 Soon they left the room. Dr. S finished up with me. I got the chills and they put a warm blanket on me. The anesthesiologist assistant wiped my face with a warm washcloth. I was suuuuuuuuper relaxed and the meds (morphine, I think?) started making me sleepy. I didn't throw up thanks to the anti-nausea meds they gave me! They wheeled me back to my room where I waited for the nurses to finish up their assessment of Sam. My doctor came in and told me everything went perfectly.

After a short time Ryan came in with the nurse and they wheeled Sam in. I finally got to hold him and nurse him.

My stay at the hospital had some ups and downs. Sam had very low blood sugar when he was first born so I gave it my all to nurse him and kangaroo-hold him as much as possible to get it up. I also had some major troubles breastfeeding (more on that later). But this experience was so SO much better since I didn't have pre-e. I was able to get out of bed later that night. I was able to relax and watch the Olympics and hold my precious baby. We had many wonderful visitors that made our stay there go by quickly. I was able to be discharged that Wednesday, but I chose to stay longer to get rest and to recover. The nurses there were awesome and took really good care of all of us.

Of course I had hoped I would get a VBAC, but I had prayed hardcore for God's will to be done, and having a c-section must have been his will. It isn't ideal- it's major surgery and recovery is tough, but this birth experience was so so much better.

Now... my peace with my c-section has been tainted a bit due to postpartum hormones and my sensitivity and pride, but I'll write more on that later.

Birth is just one piece of the puzzle in motherhood. It may have not gone exactly how I wanted it to, but in the end, my son entered this world and it's my job now to care and love him.







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birth story. I had hoped for a VBAC with my second but my daughter would not engage and I made it all the way to 8cm before agreeing that a c section was my best option.

I still have the what ifs about it but like you said God's will be done.

Alzbeta said...

"I was actually thankful to see him like that- straight from my body.
They took him to clean him up and then brought him to me. He really did look like Joe. I reached out and touched him. He opened his tiny eyes. It is those moments I will never ever forget."

I re-read those paragraphs twice... they just made me tear up anew every time. You are such a beautiful mama! I know all of the postpartum recovery and hormones can make things really hard, but I just want you to know that you are wonderful and your babies are so lucky to have you!

Allison said...

Thanks for sharing :) It's always such a blessing to have good doctors in the OR with you. I had the best anesthetist (or I think that's what he was) he sat by me and chatted the whole time so I wouldn't think about what was going on. It really makes a difference.

Hilary said...

My sappy self cried the whole time I read this.... beautiful. Just beautiful! I am so happy for you and your sweet little family. Thanks for sharing :)

Julie said...

I'm glad you shared! LOVE that beautiful picture at the end. Amazing. Congrats on your little miracle. Hope you are adjusting well to another person in your family. Hang in there through those depression struggles- I think we all go through it at least a little.

Joy said...

Wonderful story, so glad you felt supported and well cared for and I'm sure Sam will love reading this someday.

Catholic Mutt said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything went so well this time! I do love when you can make those kinds of Catholic jokes. :)

Sarah said...

I'm glad you wrote this, Maggie! I really like that you felt in control of the situation. I can see a big difference between an emergency/unplanned C-section and a regular one. Anti-nausea medication is truly one of God's greater gifts - children are definitely the greatest!

January said...

Love this story!

Colleen said...

This was such a beautiful birth story. I could feel your peace while reading it! Thank God for a happy and healthy Mama and baby :)

That Married Couple said...

Oh Maggie, I'm so glad you were at peace with Sam's birth and that it went so smoothly! And I teared up when Ryan said he looked like Joe! So sweet!

Lianna said...

Wow, motherhood is so amazing! To think that a whole new person actually grew inside you, and now you have the privilege to love and care for him. That is so beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails