Monday, May 23, 2011

A Little Bit of the End of the World in Joplin, MO

If you are a Facebook friend of mine, you are probably aware that last night was a little nerve wracking for my family and me. My 70-year old Uncle Alan and Aunt Joy, their daughter Barb, and her two sons were caught up in the devastating tornado that ripped through Joplin, MO.

Yesterday afternoon Ryan, Joe and I left to go to my nephew’s graduation party. As we were leaving we caught sight of the news where the town we just moved from, Waverly, was in a tornado warning. We were scared for our friends back there and prayed no one would get hurt and hoped there wasn’t significant damage.

While at the party I had a missed call from my mom and a voicemail. I figured she was just calling to chat so I didn’t bother calling her until we were getting into the car to leave. When she answered her voice was rattled with concern. “You need to turn on The Weather Channel,” she said. I figured Waverly was hit pretty badly, but she informed me that it was Joplin that that been hit. I thought that maybe some trees had been destroyed and some structural damage had occurred, but when mom said, “Alan and Joy are trapped in their house. Their house is gone.” I knew this was much more serious.

My mom had been watching the news when she saw the breaking news announcement that Joplin had been hit by a tornado. She called Alan and miraculously she got through on his cell phone. He had gotten his family into the hallway (they have no basement.) Everyone was OK, but very shaken up. If they had been in their living room they would have been killed. Thankfully my Uncle Steve lives in a town near Joplin and he went right away to try and dig Alan and Joy out.

When we got home from the party I immediately turned on The Weather Channel and what I saw made me sick to my stomach. Total devastation. Cars on top of cars. Whole neighborhoods leveled. Even their hospital had taken a direct hit. The newscaster was visibly shaken and broke down numerous times because he had witnessed firsthand many people with injuries and dead bodies lying around. I was thankful that my family was accounted for, but I wasn’t going to rest easy until I knew my family was out of the house safely.

Thank God for Facebook. My family has a private group on there so we were able to keep each other updated. Our friends also offered their prayers and support.

A couple of hours later we got news from Uncle Steve that everyone was out of the house. My Aunt Joy had back surgery a couple months ago so her mobility is severely limited. It took them awhile to get her out. They are now safe with a roof over their head at my Uncle Steve’s home.

It’s crazy to think that your life can change in the blink of an eye. I thank the Lord that he protected my family and got them to safety. I am keeping the people of Joplin in my prayers as they mourn, search for loved ones and rebuild.

These are pictures my Uncle Steve took of the devastation surrounding my Uncle Alan’s home.









You can see more photos here.





11 comments:

Alzbeta said...

Oh, Maggie, it's so heartbreaking! I'm so glad your relatives are safe, but we will be praying for them and for everyone affected.

Anonymous said...

it is one of the more devastating things I have seen in my life. I'm so sad for the people of the town, but keeping them in prayer.

Katie said...

Last night I had a very real dream that my sister was killed. I really feel like it was God pressing my heart to pray for the victims of this tragedy, who are experiencing a real life nightmare. Prayers for your family and their neighbors. :)

Anonymous said...

Maggie your family is in my prayers.I was also freaking because I have brothers there and I could not reach any of them,but thank GOD they were all safe.My sister in law brother lost his car and house but he is ok.My heart goes out to the whole community of Joplin,may GOD be with them as they put pieces of their life back together.Connie Gebhards

Natalie said...

Your family and that entire area are in my prayers... so glad your family is ok.

Catholic Mutt said...

That's so unbelievable! I don't know any people in Joplin, but I know several people in that area. My sister's coworkers were shopping in Joplin when it hit. I'm glad your family's okay, and they and everyone affected will certainly be in my prayers!

Shelly said...

Oh my goodness, that is scary! I'm so glad your family is ok!

Rebecca said...

So grateful your family is OK - praying for all those in Joplin.

Patty said...

First of all, so glad to hear your family is safe!

We drive through there on our way up to Illinois each year. I know exactly where we stop for gas and bathroom breaks and I can bet they are not there anymore.

Really makes you appreciate what we have for the moment!

Colleen said...

Oh geez, that was way too close for comfort. Thank God they are okay, We have been praying for everyone affected by the tornadoes like crazy. HUGS!

Rae said...

As so many have said, this is just unreal to me. I saw a little of the damage in AL from last month and it is all just unbelievable to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails