Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Burst- A Review

You know those days when it seems that you can’t win? Like everything around you is turning into a disaster and there’s no hope in sight? Then you look at someone else’s predicaments and think, “Gee, maybe I don’t have it so bad after all.” That’s what happened when I read Burst: A Story of God’s Grace When Life Falls Apart.

The author, Kevin Wells, deals with one curveball after another (no pun intended- he is a former sports reporter) and faces each one with strength and purpose. He has to deal with serious medical issues, his wife’s infertility, adoption fraud and a murder of a beloved family member just to name some of the challenges he has had to face. Instead of giving up on God and being resentful (which I think many of us have wanted to do a time or two in our lives) he perseveres with steadfast prayer, Eucharistic adoration and devotion to his family.

Wells tells his story with beautiful words. I mean it- his writing is simply beautiful. And the tales he writes of are full of love, warmth and humor. I was immersed in his story and found it difficult to put the book down.

It is a quick read, although it took me awhile to get through it due to a certain little boy I know who likes to party instead of going to sleep at night. And because I had to take a few breaks from the book due to other happenings in my life I felt like the way he told his story was kind of choppy. I got confused sometimes trying to figure out if he was writing about a flashback of the past or something that was happening during the present. But that could just be because I didn’t get to read it consistently.

This is a great book if you need a reminder that God’s grace is always there if you choose to accept it. You can’t just sit back and have a “woe is me” attitude. You have to stay close to God and accept the joys and trials he sends you knowing ultimately that he loves you.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Burst - A Story of God's Grace When Life Falls Apart. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

1 comment:

BlessedMom said...

This book looks great! I've added it to my "wish list!"

Thanks for stopping by my blog last week to check our our little one! He's home now and slowly getting his energy back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails