Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Be Kind. Be Compassionate.

This morning I woke up to learn my favorite weatherman, Don Harman from Fox 4 News, had died. I have watched Don Harmon since I was a freshman in high school. Mr. Harman was hilarious and wacky. He had such a good camaraderie with the anchors of the morning show. The light-hearted, fun-loving atmosphere he created made me want to watch the news in the morning because it wasn't all about murders, scams, and car accidents.

The station was keeping tight-lipped about the situation because not all of his family members had been notified. I kept wondering what it was that claimed his life. Had he been in a car accident that morning on the way to work? Perhaps he suffered a heart attack. When I got on the internet the rumor was swirling around- suicide. Suicide??! How on earth could this man who was so funny, so fun-loving, and knew he was adored by many in Kansas City kill himself? This man who was only 41 years old, with a wife and a young daughter... what was going on inside his head that made him feel like he was beyond help? What was going on inside his head to make him feel that his life wasn't worth living?

I don't know why his death affects me so. I had never met him. I feel a heaviness in my heart, not just because Mr. Harman's death, but just because I am sometimes overwhelmed at what seems like an enormous amount of darkness and sadness in this world.



Don Harman's suicide makes me realize that you never really know what is going on in a person's life. He appeared so confident and happy, but that was apparently a mask. How many people do we encounter everyday that are on the verge of suicide or having a mental break down?

I saw on the news today that the number one reason people dislike the holiday season is because they are "forced" to be nice to others; others meaning mostly their family and friends that they would rather not be nice to.

What is wrong with being nice? What is wrong with being kind? I suppose if someone is nice as opposed to being strong-willed they are considered weak. They are considered fluff compared to a stone.

What is wrong with keeping our mouths shut when we want to say mean and hurtful things? We take delight in saying mean things because it's funny and a thrill to demean someone.

It is easy to lose our patience. It is easy for us to snap. The holiday is a stressful time, but we need to remember that we are not the only person on this planet. There are others out there that are just as stressed, if not more. Our feelings, wants, desires are not the only feelings out there.

Instead of snapping at a cashier to get the line moving faster why don't you take a second and look at her name tag. Yes, she is a person who has a name, not just a corporate tool that scans your merchandise and takes your money. She is a person who has worries and fears and joy and excitement. She is a person who possibly is a single mother and this is the only job she could find to support her two children. Instead of complaining to her, or even cutting her off and being short with her when she tries to make conversation, how about you compliment her earrings. Tell her thank you for what she does. Tell her how much you admire her for working in the retail business during the holiday season. Tell her Merry Christmas.

Instead of throwing a fit that you didn't get fries with your extra value meal why don't you take a second to remember that the gentleman who took your order doesn't have it out for you to make sure you don't have your fries. People make mistakes. People get distracted. Sure, there are the occasional lazy-bones people out there that don't put in the effort to make sure your order is correct, but have a little more faith in people. Maybe this kid who has taken hundreds of food orders that day is tired because he had to wake up extra early to take his mother to chemotherapy and has two finals to study for when he gets home. Maybe he is distracted for good reason.

There are some things in life that are good cause for us to speak up and say something. Voicing our concerns about some things in life is necessary. But let us keep our priorities straight. Being mean to the teen who bags our groceries for accidentally dropping the bottle of spaghetti sauce isn't necessary.

We live in a world where rudeness and hostility rule, a teenage girl can be hailed as a free-speech hero for making disrespectful comments to an adult (who happens to be the governor of Kansas) and where people can tear each other apart while hiding behind a computer screen. I stay away from comboxes where people can easily accuse the authors of being bad parents, bad Catholics, and destined for hell because they believe in XYZ.



The world can't be all lollypops and sparkly unicorn glitter. There are people out there who are sarcastic and cynical. God made us all different and it's good to have a little spice and crunch in our lives. But no matter what our disposition is, we must be careful of our words. We must be careful of our actions.

Our words and actions can make or break someone's day. Our words and actions represent more than just ourselves. They represent our parents, our church, our country. It is not all about me, me, me.

I see the darkness of life and the sadness that seems to overshadow everything. I sometimes wonder what kind of world I have brought my child into. I hope to raise my son and future children to bring LIGHT to the world instead of darkness.

I have a different take on Advent this year. I wait for the coming of our Savior. I see the darkness of our world and I know that Christ has defeated it and has brought light to our world. He does it every single day.

There is good in this world. There is such incredible good in this world that it busts through the darkness of sadness and tragedy. God helps us to become that light that crashes through. It can begin with us.


May God bless the soul of Don Harman and bring comfort and peace to his family during this tragic time. May he rest in peace.




May God bless all those who are affected by suicide.




May God bless those who are sad and lonely this holiday season.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amen Maggie. Amen. Well said. Every. single. word.
Amen!

Sarah said...

Amen sister! If I wasn't using my hand to scroll down the page, I would have been fist pumping. I like your style.

Katie@NFP and Me said...

Oh my gosh! I hadn't heard this. How sad!

I love the message of this though. We need to always be kind to one another. I used to be a waitress at fried chicken place in SEK and you would not believe how mean people can be over freaking FRIED CHICKEN!

Thank you for reminding us all to take extra care in showing each other love.

Kristina said...

I came across your mother's posting on Fox 4's Facebook page, referring viewers to your blog. This is beautifully written. What a wonderful reminder to be kind and understanding, especially during this holiday season. Bless you.

Joy said...

Wonderful post, decided to take the attitude a couple of years ago during the holiday season that anyone who cut me off must be rushing somewhere important ~ improved my experience of driving and shopping so much.

I am so sorry for your city's lose and will be praying for him, his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful words, thank you for the lovely insight in the wake of such an awful tragedy.

Donna said...

AMEN girlfriend you couldn't of said it better. Thanks for putting it out there.

Catholic Mutt said...

Love your thoughts on this. I don't see why anyone would resent the pressure to be nicer, but it's easy to see why someone struggling would have a much harder time this time of year. It's not just people that are on the verge of suicide, either. It's all the people that have some sort of pain in their lives that they feel they can't share, but just have to put up a brave front to the world. Thanks for the reminder to keep praying!

jmt said...

I have a friend that must read your blog, and she sent me this link. Because my blog reminded her of your blog, or vice versa. :) Maybe step by step, piece by piece, we can do something about it? Bring a little unicorn glitter? I'm on board and I'm working hard to get my friends, as well. Here are a couple links that I wrote that speak to your exact same thoughts. I'll be back to visit! :)

http://circlethesquaretable.blogspot.com/2011/11/losing-my-marbles-along-with-world.html

http://circlethesquaretable.blogspot.com/2011/11/freedom-of-speech-or-simply-disrespect.html

Donna said...

The most beautiful, heart-felt words I have read in a very long time. I agree with absolutely every word. I too loved Don Harman as my weatherman, and all around "funny to wake up to" guy!!! Started many a day out just right. I feel for the family who is left to deal and wonder how they could have prevented this....to wonder "why?" God bless them all. Very sad.:(

TRS said...

I agree with what you have said... but I have to add that having to be nice to people who aren't nice back is very draining.
Christmas is often lousy for me because I don't get to employ the traditions I grew up .... rather I'm forced to do it my SIL's way.... I've suggested over and over and over again that we draw names instead of each of us buying gifts for 8 family members!!! Worse yet... since I'm the only single one... I'm buying for 8 people and only get two presents back... one from each family. Not that I'm counting... but that's VERY lopsided!

And I'm the one that has to travel 10 hours to get there... lugging presents. Or fly... with all these gifts?!!!

And the whole time, I'm virtually ignored because I don't have a husband or kids... I'm an outsider in my own family... dad usually had my back but he died this summer --- so I lost my only ally.

The fact is... the majority of this world relates to people who are married with families... it always strikes me as odd that single people can relate to and understand married and family life....but they can't relate to and understand single people in return!!! And we ALL STARTED OUT SINGLE!!

So when you talk about trying to have some compassion for the people around you... make sure you include the folks whose lives are not like you... who have to drop everything and use every bit of vacation time they have to go home to a family to wants to stuff them in the box THEY are comfortable with instead of packaging they really come in.

melanie said...

Very well written and well put. I, too, have been grieving over this loss. I did not know him personally, either, but his death has affected me. Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts and feelings into words~

kungpow said...

The masks we wear

Tammy in Olathe, Ks said...

Thank you for the post. It was very well said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails