Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Wondering Wednesdays Vol. 14: Baby Names


Today I am wondering: what will we name our son?

We have a general idea but have decided not to make any final decisions until we see our baby in person. Maybe then we will feel confident in our decision.

I have thought of what I would name my future children since I was a child. I kept diaries way back then and I had a list of names. One of them was Miranda Lauren- where I got that name, I have no clue!

Since I've become an adult and family and friends I am close have started having babies I began to seriously consider what I would name our future children. The problem is I love so many names. My mom often says I am going to have to either have 20 children or 20 pets to accommodate all the names I really love.

But now the time has come to really decide what name to use, and it is so much harder than I thought. You'd think that since I like so many names it would be easy- but this is the real deal. This isn't just imagining and daydreaming. What I name this child is what he will be stuck with for the rest of his life. Talk about pressure! :-)

I love traditional/Christian names. That's probably a good thing since I also love using family names. I know some people don't like traditional names because they are so common and/or overused. I don't really buy into that. I could name by boy John or Mike or Bill and he will still be unique. He won't be like all the other Johns, Mikes, and Bills out there- trust me!

I find it so interesting in people's views on naming children. Some people are adamant about NOT using family names. Some insist on unique spellings. Some have certain patterns they follow. I just want my son's name to mean something special. I was named after my grandmother because I was born on her birthday. But in some ways I want to use a first name that is not a family name but use a family name as a middle name (does that make sense?)

I'm not too worried about the baby name game. This child will get a name sooner or later and I know it will fit him perfectly!


Just for fun- do you have any suggestions for our baby boy?


20 comments:

Joe @ Defend Us In Battle said...

Boy names need to be Strong.

Joseph is good.

You can always go VERY traditional, and do something like

Joseph _______ and then use the middle name (ie: Joseph Michael, Joseph Ryan, Joseph Robert) for Mike, Ryan or Rob....

Or just use Joseph as the traditional middle name for: Hunter Joseph, Keegan Joseph, etc...

Cant really go wrong with Joseph...

WHAT? :)

Joy said...

We decided to use family names as middle names so Elisabeth is a name we liked ~ and her middle name Anne-Marie is a combination of my and C's moms names. We are still narrowing down the first name if a little boy is joining us in September but his middle name will be Charles just like his dad and grandfather.

Patty said...

On the funny side, my husband once liked Noah....he said it was a good name to call when you were looking for him...NoooooAhhhhhh! LOL

I like traditional/family names. Not just the simple ones. I'm talking way back in the family tree...old European ones.

I have to say, I prefer Joseph though.

Have fun with it!

Katie said...

How fun! It's so exciting to choose names! I agree with Joe that male names should be strong. I was reading a Heather Armstrong article that said you should practice shouting the name you choose at a park, you know, so in 5 years when you're calling junior in for the night, you'll know the name carries well.;-)

I only have teacher experience to share with you, so I would suggest traditional over trendy. My favorite boy name out of all the students I've had? Donovan. Good luck!

That Married Couple said...

I agree, baby names are fun! We're also planning to wait to decide for sure until the baby comes out, though we'll have it narrowed down to probably 2-3 by then. We also like traditional Christian names, and will most likely be using a grandparent's first name for the middle name.
Have fun!

Rae said...

Benjamin Xavier

Anthony John

Thomas Leo

Peter Bernard

Robert Cyril

:-D

Rebecca said...

As a teacher, I encourage you to consider a traditional spelling for your child's name. I always feel HORRIBLE when spelling a child's name wrong, and it can't be good for a child to have their name spelled wrong all the time either. Just my two cents.

Paul H said...

I would strongly encourage you to use a traditional name (preferably a saint's name or a Biblical name), with the traditional spelling. I suggested some more uncommon or "innovative" names for our first son, and looking back now I praise God that my wife did not let us go that route, and that we chose a traditional name.

Paul H said...

And if you haven't looked at this site yet, be sure to check it out:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

This site has statistics on baby names in the U.S. going back more than 100 years. One thing I found interesting is that even the most common boys' name and most common girls' name each account for only about 1% of total births in the U.S. in recent years. So if these statistics are right, then even the most common name will only be found in about 1 out of 100 kids. So I wouldn't worry too much about choosing a name that is too common.

P. Button said...

First name: John
Second name: Barry

John Barry was the Irish Catholic father of the American Navy.

Unknown said...

How about Linus. Second pope, his name shows up in Eucharistic Prayer I, it is a strong name, and I think the stigma from Linus Van Pelt has evaporated.

Anonymous said...

Benedict Peter... current strong pope and first pope

Please don't use Barry... Barack Obama's nickname when he wanted to be white

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Anonymous said...

Choosing a baby name is hard! It took nearly nine months of negotiation before my husband and I agreed on a name for our son!

Mary Ellen/Nunly said...

My dad chose very simple names for his five kids, 4 boys and one girl (me).

Jerome (after my dad and a family name)
Michael
Robert
James
Mary Ellen (I was named after a nun that was my dad's and oldest brother's first grade teacher).

But in truth, if you have more than one child, you will never get their names straight and mix them all up when you call them. Believe me. Heck, I was the only girl and my mom still called me the wrong name (Jean/her sister's name).

I made the mistake of calling all my girls "L" names...and I never get them right. I have to just assume they know who I'm talking about.

That said, maybe you should just call him, "Hey You". ;-)

Anonymous said...

Suggestions to honor lesser known saints. All are holy and good choices. Combine to most pleasing sound to your ears.

Boys:

Augustine Blaise

Cosmos Maximillian

Felix James (Felix means happy!)

Dismas Bartholemew (Dismas was the good theif and is a saint!)

Simon Orlando

Isaac Jogues

Zachariah Jerome

Benedict Paul

Girls:

Edith Mary

Bridget Anne

Veronica Rita

Hedwig Irene

Helen Joan

God Bless You and your Little One

Brian (defend-us-in-battle.blogspot.com) said...

If you use Benjamin, my son will be happy.

Nicole Stallworth said...

I love the same kinds of names you do! I always have a page of names (not to mention the possible combinations) but I can almost never pick one until my husband weighs in. He's been giving me full naming rights but I want him to love the name too...

Just a few suggestions, I'm guessing you're already overwhelmed. I love these names:
Abraham
Joseph
Benedict
Thomas
Edward
James

Our family is not your family, but we have names like Jasper, Amon, Pierce, and Shafe (and others, like Christmas and Anguish) way back in our tree. What about yours?

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Brian- I LOVE the name Benjamin, but my sister in law's boyfriend is named Ben, so I think it might be a little weird to use that!

Nicole- I love old family names, and a lot of my ancestors have normal Christian names.

Renee said...

my boys have solid traditional names - James and John. And we call them that, not a nickname. They are like no other James and Johns we know.......
my girls are slightly old fashioned (or at least they were when we chose the name and then 2/3 got 'popular') - Madeleine, Abigail and Theresa (again no nicknames).. and they are all unique as well

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails