Friday, January 1, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol. 5

It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I must be slacking on my blog reading time because I somehow missed that I won a Lemonade Stand Award from the wonderful Michelle at Musings of a Catholic Lady! I also received an award from a new and very lovely blog I've been following called Musings of a Young Mom. I am flattered to receive these awards...they make my day! Thank you ladies!

1.
I cooked a turkey for Christmas Eve dinner. I don't cook. I mean the biggest challenge I've had in the kitchen is a measly meatloaf. I was paranoid this turkey would turn out like the one in the movie Christmas Vacation!



After a horrifying experience of pulling out the giblets and neck (Why, oh WHY do they keep those in there?! OK...so I'm easily grossed out!) the turkey turned out delicious! I actually might brave it again and cook a smaller turkey for Ryan and I sometime!

2.
Ryan is going to Colorado with his brother and some buddies. He's going to see the Chiefs/Broncos game. Ooooooo....enemy territory! No worries Broncos.....you will probably get a big fat win!

3.
The Saturday before the last Sunday of Advent I drove 10 miles to go to confession. Now I love confession, don't get me wrong, but it takes me a couple days to spiritually prepare myself and examine my conscience. I get there and the priest is handing out writing pens. I asked him if he was having confession. He said, "No, I usually do, but I've got to hand out these pens." I was aghast. I put on a fake smile and said, "OK, thanks," and walked out the door.

I was very upset. I know I could have said, "Well I drove 10 miles to come to confession. Could you please make some time?" but I didn't really want to go to a priest who had his priorities all jumbled up. What, the laity aren't allowed to hand out pens? But this priest also chit chats during the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist so I'm not too surprised. There is a reason this church is not my regular parish. Now I'll have to add to my list of sins that I'm bad mouthing a priest..... But I need to remember that the wonderful Sacrament of Confession is a gift from God...not something I deserve.

4.
Midnight Mass and Christmas Day Mass were cancelled this year due to a massive blizzard! I was so bummed out. It felt like something was missing this year from our Christmas celebration. When Fr. Reginald cancels Mass you know it's bad out there. I don't think he'd cancel Mass even if a bomb went off on Main Street!

5.
Speaking of blizzards, my dog Chandler LOVES snow. He races outside and frolics out in the snow drifts. He also likes to bury his head in the snow and eat it. As my dear husband always says....Chandler is a special dog!

6.
This New Year's Eve was spent going to Mass, eating pizza and watching movies with my hubby. It was a treat to get to spend an evening with him since he's been working a lot of evenings. At midnight we watched the ball drop and had a smooch on the couch with Chandler in our lap. A couple years ago I got pretty wild on New Year's Eve. My celebrations nowadays are much more subdued, but SO much better!

7.
It's the new year, so everyone is talking about losing weight. I get a small (OK, a ginormous) sense of anxiety when I see the commercials about starting a diet. When other bloggers talk about their own struggles with weight I usually skip over them because I'm afraid it will force me to take a look at my own battle with weight. Well I got a pair of jeans for Christmas this year and they were a size too big. I thought, "Oh, this will be nice, trying something on that is TOO big!" I. was. dead. wrong. The jeans were very tight. I wore them for Mass and all during the service I kept feeling utterly depressed. I know that being unemployed has a lot to do with my weight gain. I'd like to think that being happily married does that too. Not only do I feel that I look gross and fat, but I feel gross and fat. I am a very short gal- barely 5 feet tall. So when I gain weight....well...I start taking on a spherical shape...

This is supposed to be 7 quick takes, but I could go on and on about my struggle with weight, but I suppose I can save that for another post. I don't want to bum myself out too much!

Passing on the award! I know there are rules to follow, but I have to help my hubby pack for his trip! Thanks again ladies for the awards...God bless you!

Lerin @ Beautiful Chaos
Kate @ Momopoly
Danielle Bean
Kerrie @ The Forgotten Kitchen
Jessica @ Natural Family Planning Works
Michelle @ Goodnight PudPop
Monique @ Catholic Chicks
All the ladies at Faith and Family Live!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Awe, sorry you had to miss Christmas Mass. And I hear you on the weight. I'm about the same height and have struggled with my weight since my teens. I think I've reconciled to the fact that I am just a bit of a pudgier person, at least my hubby likes it. :) I still feel crummy about it all sometimes.

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

My husband has been great. He always reassures me when I complain about my weight and even throws in a compliment here and there without my hinting around for one!

Judy Dudich said...

I suppose we must pray for priests who hand out pens rather than hear confessions...yikes.

When my "baby" weight did not want to leave after baby number 10 (of whom God sent 6 in 7 years) I finally found these things to work best:

EAT LESS ~ MOVE MORE

pretty simple...but takes determination to DO

DRINK TONS OF WATER

Only have "seconds" and "sweets" on days that begin with the letter "S".

(My husband said he'd join me if he could have them on days that end with the word "day", ha ha)

Anyway, three fairly easy things to implement...and when consistent...those pounds WILL leave :)

God bless you in your new marriage!!!!!!!!!!

My eldest daughter just turned 25 this month!

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Hey Judy! Thanks for the tips. I did Weight Watchers before my wedding and lost about 10 lbs. Drinking water does a body good! I was living with my mom at the time so I was using her treadmill quite a bit. The eating healthy part wasn't hard...it was just getting up and exercising!

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a new priest to add to our prayers at the rosary and Memorial mass for my FIL today.

So sorry you had to miss Christmas mass...but it WAS bad out there!

And weight...well, you've read about my feelings on the subject. ;) My first WW meeting went well the other day and I've been pleasantly surprised so far with the Momentum program and also with how I feel about the smaller portions! :) Well...I have this incredibly large appetite....

That Married Couple said...

1. Last year with our first turkey we pulled out one bag but didn't realize there was another one still in there! Halfway through cooking we had to go in and extract it - agh!

But, I actually used the giblets for a delicious gravy recipe. Grandmas sure know how to use everything, don't they?

2. If I'm not mistaken, you all won, right? Congrats!

3. Ugh. Major bummer!

4. Ah! Even bigger bummer!

I feel silly for commenting on every single one of these, so I'll stop now :)

Anonymous said...

I feel you about weight. I have been overweight since I was about 10 years old. I'm now trying to lose the last ten pounds to be at a healthy weight, according to that bmi chart. It's harder to exercise here too, than it was in Chicago, where I walked everywhere.

But, Eric and I joined the YMCA here in town and they have really great exercise equip. and pool. And we get to be together while we exercise. I don't know if something like that would be an option for you, but it does make it easier to do when there's someone else there.

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

Yes Elizabeth- the Chiefs DID win! WHoo hooo!!! Uhh...there are TWO bags in turkeys?! Is that with every turkey?! Ryan's grandma uses the neck for gravy.... I don't think I'm quite at that point to use turkey body parts for gravy! :-)

Fumbling Toward Grace- the closest YMCA is 20 miles away, which isn't too bad, but we'll see. I looooove swimming so that's what I'd like to do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails